• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragon Magazine stops publishing

143 posts in this topic

Never heard of Castle Amber. That wasn't one of the UK series was it? Probably just after my time--1987 would've been the last one I purchased. Probably Isle of the Ape or Wonderland, both huge disappointments.

We ran Temple of Elemental Evil twice--almost three times.

First time, we found a DM at nearby Western Michigan University and I was excited that I'd get to actually play with my friends instead of DM. Well, it turned out he was dyslexic and couldn't really read flavor text and such and the guys didn't like his style, it fell apart. So that didn't happen.

So I put on the DMs hat again and ran everyone through it. Long campaign and went very, very well.

Four years later I ran it for my college friends, the last time I ever played D&D. Not as fun, but still fun.

Marc

Castle Amber - 1981

Amber.jpg

Supplement IV to the Basic Game. This is the 7th printing from 1979 (1st was 1976). This book is 5.5" x 8.5". We also had the PH and DMG, but I don't know what happened to them.

Gods.jpg

I've got to say, this thread (plus the early issues I picked up a month ago) has me itching to design a dungeon for the first time in 20 years.

I wonder if it would be fun to actually play through an adventure on these boards. One DM starts a thread, limits it to a few people, and we're off....

I'm in. hi.gif

I've got to say, this thread (plus the early issues I picked up a month ago) has me itching to design a dungeon for the first time in 20 years.

I wonder if it would be fun to actually play through an adventure on these boards. One DM starts a thread, limits it to a few people, and we're off....

thumbsup2.gif

I played from the early 80s to the late 90s and I still miss it today. I think that only one of my group still lives in town. Maybe I miss the guys and the late nights in the basement more than the game itself??? confused-smiley-013.gif I agree that on-line just wouldn't be the same.

Mike

So poorly put together compared to today. Here is the ad on the first page. Typewriter????

Dragon49Ad.jpg

That's ROLEMASTER. Arms Law was the supplement that provided all the data on weapons and criticals. cloud9.gif

Based on the first rules published in 1974. This one was the 3rd edition from 1979. AD&D was already around at this time, but they were also still pushing the basic game.

BasicDD1.jpg

I was trying to find my copy of this when this thread started. I haven't given up hope in finding it yet.

Supplement IV to the Basic Game. This is the 7th printing from 1979 (1st was 1976). This book is 5.5" x 8.5". We also had the PH and DMG, but I don't know what happened to them.

Gods.jpg

wow. hey, is that the one with the Elric of Melnibone mythos in it? my D&D is a later printing...

Based on the first rules published in 1974. This one was the 3rd edition from 1979. AD&D was already around at this time, but they were also still pushing the basic game.

BasicDD1.jpg

That's the very first one I played. God, I've almost forgot the cover since I don't own that one. Good memories.

Here's one that got me interested in books about Elric, Lovecraft, etc. I believe later editions had to eliminate some of the sections due to lawsuits? It was always fun wondering how strong you'd have to be to take one of these "out". We did use it to pick out who the character worshipped, etc.

dd.jpg[/img]

Gods.jpg

wow. hey, is that the one with the Elric of Melnibone mythos in it? my D&D is a later printing...

Egyptian

Indian

Greek

Celtic

Norse

Finnish

Hyborea (7 pages of Conan stuff)

Mexican + Central American

Eastern

and

Elric & Melnibone (8 pages) including Haaashasstaak, Lord of the Lizards and Nnuuurrrr'c'c, Lord of the Insect Folk. I have to say that I don't remember any of these characters it was so long ago that I read the books.

Mike

Here's one that got me interested in books about Elric, Lovecraft, etc. I believe later editions had to eliminate some of the sections due to lawsuits? It was always fun wondering how strong you'd have to be to take one of these "out". We did use it to pick out who the character worshipped, etc.

dd.jpg[/img]

I have this book and there isn't anything about Elric or Lovecraft in it that I can see. It seems to be a first printing, but I could be wrong.

Mike

dd.jpg[/img]

I have this book and there isn't anything about Elric or Lovecraft in it that I can see. It seems to be a first printing, but I could be wrong.

Mike

There were two versions of Deities & Demigods. One with the Melnibonean/Cthulu mythos and one without.

dd.jpg[/img]

Mike

There were two versions of Deities & Demigods. One with the Melnibonean/Cthulu mythos and one without.

Yep, and the one with those controversial mythos is actually worth some moolah. thumbsup2.gif

About 15 years ago I was offered $75 for this book, but I declined. I didn't need the money and figured that if it was something "special", I might as well own it. (Same went for my 1979 Alien figure with the workable jaws. 27_laughing.gif )

About 15 years ago I was offered $75 for this book, but I declined. I didn't need the money and figured that if it was something "special", I might as well own it. (Same went for my 1979 Alien figure with the workable jaws. 27_laughing.gif )
It was a must have for us at the time. We we're all fans of Michael Moorcock's Elric series. So to see some of our favorite stats on them was very cool.