• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dragon Magazine stops publishing

143 posts in this topic

WHERE ARE THE REST OF THESE? frustrated.gif

my biggest board let-down is the thread where you started posting this story and just stopped boo.gif

When I posted them before there was little interest, so I stopped. sorry.gif

WHERE ARE THE REST OF THESE? frustrated.gif

my biggest board let-down is the thread where you started posting this story and just stopped boo.gif

When I posted them before there was little interest, so I stopped. sorry.gif

put them in a pdf for me. flowerred.gif

here's the only copy of anything i have left, or at least that i can find;

dragonmagrw2.jpg

put them in a pdf for me. flowerred.gif

here's the only copy of anything i have left, or at least that i can find;

dragonmagrw2.jpg

I'll see if I can dig up the files.

Best of were great resources.

th_bestofII.jpg th_bestofIV.jpg th_bestofV.jpg

yes, but your number one is the chrappy revised version gossip.gif

most of those issues you posted were published after i got out of D&D confused-smiley-013.gif

I played Castle Amber and it was pretty good. Another tough one was Barrier Peaks.

This may sound geeky, but I miss playing the game. I've played PC games like Baldur's Gate, which I liked. I haven't played on-line at all. Playing on-line would probably be fun, but it lacks the "having people over" feel. I actually haven't "played" since the early 80's. By 1982, I had to DM, which I liked, and I never got back much to the player side.

Not sure where you are in Michigan, Shadow, but my brother's store in Owosso has an open D&D day each month - usually the 3rd Saturday from noon to 5 pm. Its a great time! There are 5 DMs running groups of 5-6 through various adventures - and new recruits are always welcome. PM me if interested and I will give you the pertinent info.

I was at the store today and talked to a couple other guys, and we all kind of agreed that it was a bummer seeing a traditional magazine leave, but that most people have been getting their info off the web anyway nowadays.

Ah well, they will never take away my dice!!! sumo.gifgrin.gif

What's funny is you'd buy some of those early modules and there were 16 or so pages for the same price as the later 32-pagers!

I missed White Plume--my friends bought it and played it one weekend when I wasn't around.

There's a group of 30-somethings in Berkeley who have started playing retro-D&D once a month. Actual D&D with no Advanced. Meaning pretty sparse rules that are kind of annoying and ill-developed. They have a very cool little fanzine they write up afterwards called The Shrieker which is a classic title if you know your "In Search of Adventure" module B1.

Marc

Funny enough, as a DM I really only used the dice for effect. I knew which way I wanted the party to move and things I wanted to happen. I never really used them for random stuff unless I wanted to throw the party off.

Of course, when I played Rolemaster we had to use dice for everything.

27_laughing.gif I do remember using buckets full of dice when playing advanced levels of D&D but you're right, Rolemaster would take forever to determine if you could tie up your horse in front of the tavern insane.gif

Funny enough, as a DM I really only used the dice for effect. I knew which way I wanted the party to move and things I wanted to happen. I never really used them for random stuff unless I wanted to throw the party off.

Of course, when I played Rolemaster we had to use dice for everything.

27_laughing.gif I do remember using buckets full of dice when playing advanced levels of D&D but you're right, Rolemaster would take forever to determine if you could tie up your horse in front of the tavern insane.gif

Once our group got past the simplicity of D&D, we played Rolemaster exclusively. The combat and spell system were light years beyond any RPG before or after. The monsters and magic items were so diverse, it was easy to generate stuff quickly.

I remember watching the Saturday morning D & D cartoon as a kid. I was pleasantly surprised to see it's out on DVD.

1774714-dddvd.jpg

My nephew got me that for Christmas last year.

cloud9.gif

What I remember were the April Fool's Day classes. Like the Chef. One of his spells was to summon food that came in a little white container. Once in a while it would summon a creature that would run away shouting "Wersdabeaf!!". I had quite a laugh on that one. Also, the articles on the different type of dragons were nice as well. Another publication that will be sorely missed.

Here are a few of my modules I just scanned in.

]th_moduled1.jpg ]th_moduled2.jpg ]th_moduled3.jpg

]th_moduleq1.jpg ]th_modules4.jpg

Wow, those first 3 are the First-Printings, correct? I have the "glossy cardboard" versions of those, plus the other 2 you have there. I remember seeing those older ones back in the day at B Dalton books in the mall. We had just started playing but I didn't buy any.

And, yes, the White Plume Mountain is my own. I should scan in some more. thumbsup2.gif

I've got to say, this thread (plus the early issues I picked up a month ago) has me itching to design a dungeon for the first time in 20 years.

I wonder if it would be fun to actually play through an adventure on these boards. One DM starts a thread, limits it to a few people, and we're off....