• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squa Tront Ad 1968

12 posts in this topic

Well, this is something I posted 6 or more months ago to little reaction. Am re-posting with a better scan. What were ECs going for in 1968? This is an original Jerry Weist price list from 1968 that was in my Squa Tront #1. Fascinating for the prices and also for the way grades were defined back then. THIS is real history!

SQ1PRICES.jpg

I wouldn't mind buying a NM copy of Crime Suspenstories #22 for $3! 893whatthe.gif

Yeah! And check out that run of Mint Mad's!

And yo! Check out those Wint-o-Green Lifesavers! Those be some mad mints too, dogg!

Stop leaving me hints! I said 2 days and I mean 2 days! Dagnabbit!!!!!!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gifgrin.gif

I think that, as astounding as the prices themselves are, it's the price spread - or lack thereof - between the Fair condition books and the "Mint" condition books, that really leaves me speechless.

Never mind the fact that the definition/perception of "Mint" in 1968 would probably warrant a VF in many cases today... it's amazing how little the condition of the book factored into the price.

The early Overstreets had, if I remember correctly, a 1/3 split for the G/FN/NM. So 1 buck in Good, 2 bucks in FN, 3 bucks in NM. Things have since changed wink.gif

Part of the big uproar when Chuck first listed the Church books was that he was grading the books at a few times over Mint. In part because he said the books were so rare in that condition that the spread between the low end and the high end was too slim. There has been a increase in the spread to the point were you have what we have now.

Yes, I'm pretty familiar with both the history of the Edgar Church collection and the evolution of the Overstreet Guide ... first one I got was the 5th edition, in 1975, I believe. Even then I thought it was somewhat odd that virtually every book listed had the same price/condition split...

And I'm even familiar with the concept of paying more than guide back in those days; I used to buy via mail order from Rob't Bell, a well-known dealer who sold only NM books (at least that was the claim back in the day; I'd estimate 40-50% of his inventory would now be regarded as between VF+ and NM-, with the rest being NM-M. But in those days, that was rock solid grading smile.gif... Bell charged more than guide in many instances, and this was in '75-'77...

But it's still a serious reality check to see that 'catalog' from '68...!

But it's still a serious reality check to see that 'catalog' from '68...!

Truth.

I remember the first time I heard (15 years ago) D. Howard of Asheville's NC Super-Giant Books explain that the most important facet of valuing old books was not the content, but the condition. Thought he was nuts! But obviously this is the case.

It's really hard in 2003 to imagine anyone ever paying 75% of Near Mint for a "Good" comic!