• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet surprises

75 posts in this topic

- I wonder what % of Guide the average SA non-key Marvel or DC in VF 8.0 commands... I'm going to take a wild guess and say "about 94% of guide." That IS a total guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. The reality is that IF you're talking about accurately-graded, non-key books from the SA or even the GA, in conditions that don't scream "high grade" for the era in question (i.e., a VF+ Timely from 1942 is high grade to most people), the Overstreet Guide is probably a lot more accurate than we are giving it credit for.

Reminds me of the discussion I just had at lunchtime today with the owner of the LCS.

He felt that the OS valuations were too high for a majority of the books in the marketplace. He said that once you moved away from the HG books and the classic covers, you are basically left with well over 90% of the real comic book market that wouldn't be able to sell for what's listed in the OS guide. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He did agree with my point, however, that there definitely needs to be a lot more of the GA books that should be broken out in the guide, with their prices rasied substantially. thumbsup2.gif

I know I'm way behind on this thread, but wanted to post an excellent example of how far behind the Overstreet is on pricing and the fact that they do NOT do anything about it.

When was the last time anyone remembers a copy of All-Negro Comics #1 going for even 2X guide in any grade? Yet the price hardly goes up ever. The same can be said for many other books.

I feel the market reports are even more useless. Just dealers creating false hype on some areas. Sure they report on the obvious stuff, but you see enough of them saying this strange genre is hot or that one, yet they are all different from one another. Of course I realize that some areas have some different collecting tastes but come on.

On a different note has anyone noticed how well Spawn books are selling these days. I mean I can get guide and sometimes over guide for them.

On another different note...Hey everyone I have some Spawn books to sell. Lots of #1's, I'll even take 10% off guide.

Sure they report on the obvious stuff, but you see enough of them saying this strange genre is hot or that one, yet they are all different from one another.

They are indirectly pimping books in their own collection. Look at the type of stock a dealer has...that will be his frame of reference since technically he should only comment for what's hot FROM HIS PERSPECTIVE.

Not right or wrong...just the way it is.

I feel the market reports are even more useless. Just dealers creating false hype on some areas. Sure they report on the obvious stuff, but you see enough of them saying this strange genre is hot or that one, yet they are all different from one another. Of course I realize that some areas have some different collecting tastes but come on.

What about Overstreet Advisors that are not comic dealers? Do their reports or opinions fit into your same narrow view?

Thanks for the derogatory comment. I expect that from some on here, but expected more from you. Just because my opinion is different than yours does not make it narrow. How about just sticking to the discussion and leave the name calling out.

The same motivation can be there yes. I'm not saying that all are like that, just some.

Thanks for the derogatory comment. I expect that from some on here, but expected more from you. Just because my opinion is different than yours does not make it narrow. How about just sticking to the discussion and leave the name calling out.

The same motivation can be there yes. I'm not saying that all are like that, just some.

I don't recall namecalling. I just found it troublesome that you would paint OS Advisors as profiteers and hucksters. I was an OS Advisor for several years and have been asked to join again for 2008.

I always reported the market as I saw it, just simply that.

So, if I took your remarks personally perhaps now you understand why. :foryou:

What about Overstreet Advisors that are not comic dealers? Do their reports or opinions fit into your same narrow view?

I can verify that some dealers do indeed have a very different market from other dealers. Many dealers specialize in what they like. I can sell many more high grade SA & Bronze age books than some dealers, because that is what I specialize in and I know the genre very well. I have good inventory of that type stuff, and I am constantly getting in new product. If you always have the same books, as is true of many dealers, you don't sell nearly as many books, and as your inventory gets severely picked over, and you are left with the stuff no one wants.

Al Stoltz specialized in giveaways and esoteric books. He has more than most people so he will sell more than most people. The collectors interested in that stuff know to go to Al for those books.

Some guys carry westerns, some guys carry fawcetts, some guys carry romance books. Whatever you have the majority of, is what you are going to sell the most of. So in that way, market reports make perfect sense.

I think what you could call into question is when a dealer makes claims of books sold that it is unlikely he owned, or that is completely atypical of his inventory. And even then, you could easily be wrong. Sure some dealer probably overhype stuff in the market reports, but that goes back to the integrity of the dealer. Definitely not fair or appropriate to lump all the dealers together in that way.

Personally, it makes more sense for a dealer to operate the other way.....to keep it to himself the stuff which has been selling great for him. I have been invited to be an Overstreet Advisor, but don't really want to take the time to compile that type of information, just to share with other dealers. Hard enough to find good product without creating that much more competition for the books.

I didn't lump all the dealers together. Have just known a couple to embelish sales to hype product that they had.

My mistake. I wasn't specifically talking to you anyway, just a general statement.