• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Ever Restore a Silver Age Book?

23 posts in this topic

Would you ever have a Silver Age book restored? I know with GA books, there's sometimes a reason to do this. But how about Silver Age? My general thinking has always been that SA books are common enough that you likely won't improve the value. But maybe this isn't true for ALL books. What about an Amazing Fantasy 15? Or a lower-end book like Daredevil 1?

Would you restore and where do you draw the line of if it's a good idea?

(And yes, there are lots of threads about restoration. I can't seem to determine if there's one specifically about whether it's a good idea for a Silver Age book so I'm starting anew. If there is a thread already, point it out and tell me I'm a *spoon* for not posting to the other tread I couldn't find. Haha

No, I'm not for restoration at all. For me, it clouds the "true" value, no matter what the "age". Heck, I've got 2 BA books that were PLOD's and one was indicated "professional".

oK So my initial feeling about it is probably fine, then.

Thanks for the input.

Any takers to the contrary?

I believe a book like Amazing Fantasy 15, Fantastic four 1, The incredible hulk 1, along with Showcase # 4 would all be books that you could consider restoring. These are are all very high dollar books so having anything 2.5 or below restored could be a good idea.

It depends what you mean by "restore" I would certainly consider having a cover reattached on an otherwise nice book. Or a significant spine split closed. But beyond that, the commoness of SA books, combined with the market stigma attached to restored books would make it more reasonable just to put the money you would have spent on resto into a nicer copy of the book you have.

Agree with above post -- only a select few should even be considered. Even then the number of high grade silver generally available (and presumably will be going forward) IMO makes restoration riskier even for such keys. But people are doing it. Read the market report from CGC in OS 37 pg. 81 -- "Out of 72 Amazing Fantasy #15's certified 8.0 or higher, there are 24 unrestored copies and 48 resotred copies." Yikes. My practice has been to by only restored GAs (key and early run) but avoid all restored SA at this time no matter how key.

This is only my own opinion but I don't think books should be restored unless it will help to preserve the book.

Although I don't knock those folks who like to buy and own restored books, it's not for me. I'd rather have a low grade copy with no resto.

The other day I hit my personal jackpot buying AF 15. Because of a clipped order form on the last page (a double sided ad page) I paid a "good" price for a book that looks vg+. The worst part of that page is that the kid also clipped the item he ordered along with the order form (the see behind glasses!). I think it kinda gives the book personality and being an ad page, who really cares. IF I were to ever sell the book, which I'm not, I would have that last page restored and at least double my money. I have no problems with restoration, this is the only hobby I know that frowns upon this method. I restored a Les Paul years ago and made a $2k profit. Watch a car auction and see what those restored vehicles sell for. If a one of a kind work of art can be restored, so can a comic. Quality restoration always adds value to an item, it's high time comic collectors catch up with the rest of the hobby world. Btw, the only people I know that "care" about that clipping are the dealers, the collectors love the book could care less about the ad page. I think the dealers are the one's leading the anti-restoration front.

Just my 2 cents.

Btw, the only people I know that "care" about that clipping are the dealers, the collectors love the book could care less about the ad page. I think the dealers are the one's leading the anti-restoration front.

First, congrats on the AF 15! thumbsup2.gif

If you stick around, you'll meet lots of collectors that hate restoration, as well as lots of collectors that hate incomplete books. I'm not enthusiastic about either, but when it comes to a grail like an AF 15 I'm totally with you. Love to own it in any condition, and those kinds of flaws are no problem for me, as long as the book is priced appropriately.

The other day I hit my personal jackpot buying AF 15. Because of a clipped order form on the last page (a double sided ad page) I paid a "good" price for a book that looks vg+. The worst part of that page is that the kid also clipped the item he ordered along with the order form (the see behind glasses!). I think it kinda gives the book personality and being an ad page, who really cares. IF I were to ever sell the book, which I'm not, I would have that last page restored and at least double my money. I have no problems with restoration, this is the only hobby I know that frowns upon this method. I restored a Les Paul years ago and made a $2k profit. Watch a car auction and see what those restored vehicles sell for. If a one of a kind work of art can be restored, so can a comic. Quality restoration always adds value to an item, it's high time comic collectors catch up with the rest of the hobby world. Btw, the only people I know that "care" about that clipping are the dealers, the collectors love the book could care less about the ad page. I think the dealers are the one's leading the anti-restoration front.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm glad you're happy with the book, but there is no way you're going to make a profit by replacing the missing pieces on the ad page. For a restored VG+ copy, you'd be doing well to get back what you paid for the book plus the restoration costs.

I also disagree that quality restoration "always" adds value to an item. Whether it should or shouldn't is another issue, but the fact of the matter is that it generally does not when you're talking about silver age comics -- at least, not in an amount that is sufficient to justify the cost of the restoration in the first place.

As for who is leading the anti-restoration front, it isn't the dealers. It's the collectors who refuse to buy restored books. Most dealers are perfectly happy to have restored books in their inventory, except for the fact that they have a tough time moving them.

I think that's because of this negative stigma that only exists in this hobby. A buddy of mine restores cars and makes a ton off of them. He never sells a car for what he put into it, always makes a huge profit. I also know somebody that restores old furniture, and he makes big profits. Like I said, if this thought process was present in all other hobbies, I'd agree. I understand wanting all original stuff in great shape, but that doesn't happen too often. I think it's great that people like different things, but restoration should not be shot down.

Thanks for the comments about the book, I still buzzing from the sale, never thought I'd own one.

ps: I don't think any book should be a candidate for restoration, only certain ones. I believe the same thing about graded books.

What Scott said...it's collectors that have a big problem with resto. I'm sure dealers would love if resto didn't affect prices as severely as it does. If they were the ones leading the charge against resto, they'd be leaving alot of money on the table.

I'm with most of you when you say, (I'm paraphrasing) "Only some books should be restored". I'm not a fan of restored books, but that's not saying I'd never buy one. In fact, I can't ever see myself owning an AF #15 or FF #1 that wasn't restored. I can't afford it.

Congrats on your purchase. It's a great looking copy. thumbsup2.gif

Agreed about collectors having a restoration problem, but a seed was planted by somebody. If I had to guess, I think it came from dealers selling books as original and not disclosing restoration. No offense to dealers, most are trustworthy and two are my best friends. I'm sure this anti-restoration movement will always be present in comics.

As far as, cut outs, I'd rather have a whole book but on huge comics I'm not bothered.

I agree that much restoration gets a bad rap. It makes no sense to me that a VF+ with a tiny, virtually invisible tear seal should sell for the FN unrestored price or less, when the book was a VF to start with. But that is too often the reality in this hobby. I think the tide will turn on that as people become more educated about what restoration is and isn't. I have noticed that when some people who hate restoration actually see a slightly restored book in their hands, they become less "afraid" of restoration and more open-minded about books with it. As more and more information about restoration is disseminated (something that I and others have tried to do on these boards over the years), I believe we will see a lessening in the amount of fear that restored books experience on a hobby-wide basis. There will always be some who refuse to buy a book with any restoration regardless of what it is, but for scarce or rare books with restoration, I think that the attitude has already begun a gradual shift toward people being less afraid of such books, and that this shift will continue to spread to others.

But let us not lose amid all of this discussion the fact that you got your grail book. I remember when I got my first AF#15 and how happy I was. I am sure it is no different for you. Congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think that's because of this negative stigma that only exists in this hobby. A buddy of mine restores cars and makes a ton off of them. He never sells a car for what he put into it, always makes a huge profit. I also know somebody that restores old furniture, and he makes big profits. Like I said, if this thought process was present in all other hobbies, I'd agree. I understand wanting all original stuff in great shape, but that doesn't happen too often. I think it's great that people like different things, but restoration should not be shot down.

Thanks for the comments about the book, I still buzzing from the sale, never thought I'd own one.

ps: I don't think any book should be a candidate for restoration, only certain ones. I believe the same thing about graded books.

Agreed about collectors having a restoration problem, but a seed was planted by somebody. If I had to guess, I think it came from dealers selling books as original and not disclosing restoration. No offense to dealers, most are trustworthy and two are my best friends. I'm sure this anti-restoration movement will always be present in comics.

As far as, cut outs, I'd rather have a whole book but on huge comics I'm not bothered.

Restoration used to be considered a good thing. Unfortunately, too many people sold restored books as unrestored, and so many collectors got burned that the backlash was huge.

Great points FFB, and thanks. Hey did you feel like you could almost retire from comics after getting your AF? It just makes my collection feel complete, even though it never will be. grin.gif

I also look forward to the day when things change a bit, it's a great hobby and I've met/chatted with a lot of nice people.

Great points FFB, and thanks. Hey did you feel like you could almost retire from comics after getting your AF? It just makes my collection feel complete, even though it never will be. grin.gif

I also look forward to the day when things change a bit, it's a great hobby and I've met/chatted with a lot of nice people.

Actually, no. I had a different reaction when I got my AF#15. It made me want to start collecting stuff other than Amazing Spider-Man, which had been my focus up to that point. When you're a Spider-Man collector, there isn't much you can buy that is Spider-Man related that will give you the same rush as an AF#15!