• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal Verification?

19 posts in this topic

I just got an e-mail from "Paypal", asking me to verify all my membership info. It provided me with a link, but I'm wary that it may be a look-a-like, as, in the line that says, "An Ebay Company", the word "Ebay" is merely bold-typefacing, and not the official logo. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The message warns that if I "fail to verify my info. my account will be restricted"... 893whatthe.gif

Has anyone else received one of these e-mails? Are they legit?

Any and all help appreciated...

-Joe

I just got an e-mail from "Paypal", asking me to verify all my membership info. It provided me with a link, but I'm wary that it may be a look-a-like, as, in the line that says, "An Ebay Company", the word "Ebay" is merely bold-typefacing, and not the official logo. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The message warns that if I "fail to verify my info. my account will be restricted"... 893whatthe.gif

-Joe

Don't do anything. It's a scam. mad.gif

This is a spoof/spam. If you send your information your account will be looted. DO NOT SEND YOUR INFORMATION.

I get these ALL THE TIME. They are ALWAYS fake. The best way to find out is to "reply" and look VERY closely at the return email. It'll be one letter off. Or hosted on somebody elses (aol, earthlink, whoever's) account.

Copy the entire email message and send it to Paypal and then forget about it. I often reply to spammers with Bugaboo-esque "cantankerous" email addresses.

E-bay's position:

***Protect Yourself From Spoof Emails***

Date: 08/14/03 Time: 10:22:37 AM PDT

Some Community members have received deceptive emails claiming to come from eBay. Fraudsters who send these emails hope that recipients will reply or click on a link contained in the email and then provide personal information (i.e., eBay passwords, social security numbers and credit card numbers). We refer to these emails as "Spoof Emails".

We encourage you to be cautious when responding to any email request for personal information. Remember, if you are ever asked to provide information to eBay, you can simply open a new browser, type www.ebay.com, sign in, and use the Site Map to navigate the site.

You can also take a few simple steps to protect your account and prevent senders of spoof emails from doing harm:

1. Be sure you are on an eBay page -- It is generally not a good idea to click on links in an email. However, if you do, be sure that you are signing into a genuine eBay web site by looking at the address/location area of your browser. At an eBay.com sign-in or log-in page, the URL (link) that appears in the address/location area of your browser will begin with "http://cgi.ebay.com/", "https://scgi.ebay.com/" or "http://signin.ebay.com/". Please pay close attention to all characters in the address, including the forward slash (/) that follows "ebay.com". Even if the address/location includes the word "ebay", it may not be a genuine eBay web site.

2. Report Fraudulent Email -- If you have any doubt whether an email is from eBay, use your email client’s "forward" feature to forward a copy of it to spoof@ebay.com immediately with full header information, if possible. If you have already replied to the fraudulent email, contact your bank and/or credit card companies immediately to prevent identity theft.

3. Check Your Account -- eBay recommends checking your My eBay and Account Preferences periodically to ensure that no one has tampered with your account.

Your vigilance helps us ensure that eBay remains a safe and vibrant online marketplace. For more information on how to protect your eBay password and your account, please visit the eBay Security Center. You can access the Security Center by clicking on Help from the Navigation Bar at the top of every eBay page, then clicking on the "Security Center" link.

Regards,

eBay

-Joe

and ebay too as mentioned.. take a look at this thread

Ebay Spoofing

Are you verified with Paypal - do you have access to a checking account through it?

Yeah. I didn't respond to the thing, because I have several Paypal accounts, and only one got the e-mail...

Thanks for all the help, though. Everyone have some Starz on me! cool.gif

-Joe

It's a miracle that one of my personal trolls hasn't shown up yet......... 893applaud-thumb.gif
Cause I fell asleep. But...I don't troll you.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You troll so much that I figured you could do it in your sleep. confused-smiley-013.gif
Nope...but you better shaddup or I change my mind about you know what! mad.gif