• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So.... how much is it really worth?

8 posts in this topic

It seems that we have gotten a bunch of "newbie" OA collectors now posting on this board. I too consider myself a newbie but I have learned a lot (from these boards and other places) since I began collecting 1 1/2 years ago. cloud9.gif

So, to help me and possibly everyone else on this board, I ask:

What is the best way to guage a piece of OA's value? In other words, if something is selling at X, how does one understand that this is:

A. a steal headbang.gif

B. fair price laugh.gif

C. way over priced 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

D. somking crack (always have a crack option) devil.gif

Please do NOT answer with: if you can afford it and love it, buy it. I am looking for more concrete answers as opposed to subjective answers. I know OA is subjective, but I think many people (including myself) can benefit from concrete guidance. flowerred.gif

If the art is drawn by Jim Lee, you always check C) - way over priced.

I don't think you can go with something simple like a P/E ratio. What will happen is you will focus in on a select section of a market - very rarely does someone who has no clue about prices collect the whole spectrum - and learn pricing. You'll watch every Rick Leonardi ebay auction, scour websites for Sal Buscema Spectacular Spider-man pages, and over time understand the range. Then within that you'll build up a self valuation process.

Or, go to Spencer Beck's website and read his pricing structure for some clients

A fictional example:

More than 4 panels, no hero - 70

More than 4 panels, hero no costume - 100

More than 4 panels, hero in costume - 150

Less than 4 panels, no hero - 110

Less than 4 panels, hero no costume - 140

Less than 4 panels, hero in costume - 250

Splash page - 600

Splash page, large hero in costume - 800

Cover - 3000

Personally, because I have an interest in a very large number of books/artists/characters, I don't pay top of market. I look for value, but not necessarily a steal. A Sal Buscema Thor page just ended on ebay and it would have been a nice value buy, a perfect example of the valuations I listed above (more than 4 panels but lots of Thor in costume) and it ended at $143. But I didn't buy the page, not the right time. There is always another page... actually, I usually have at least 50 in my watch folder.

ah.. the age old question of valuation.

Well here goes, the easiest way is finding someone else willing to pay that much.

So if it is an ebay auction that was bid up from the low starting point, then what you have is pretty much what it is worth. Like everything there are exceptions, e.g. if there was a shill then it is pricey, or if there were bad/no scans, typos and no one saw the auction it could have been a steal.

Now, if it was an ebay auction with a high starting price and you were the only bidder, then it is probably (not necessarily) on the high side.

If you were buying from a major dealer/artist and it sells out really fast, then you got it at market value or a little below.

If you were buying from an artist/dealer and he still has tons of pages (for an old work) then you are probably paying too much (unless its not a publicized sale and few people know about it)

Its all common sense , hope that helps.

Malvin

There is no concrete way to price this stuff. But here's a few things to keep in mind:

Things that can drive a price up:

Classic story line? (Remember THAT page of THAT issue? So does someone else - and they're bidding too.)

Hot artist. (Buyer beware - what is up usually falls down.)

Artist doesn't sell his work. (Fewer pieces out there can equal more $$$)

Artist associated with a title. (Early Marvel Kirby. MacFarlane Spidey. Jim Lee X-Men. Neal Adams Batman.)

Hot movie coming out. (Can lead to higher sales on eBay - though usually cause the buyer overpaid.)

Nostalgia. Nostalgia. Nostalgia. ('Nuff said.)

Things that can bring a price down:

Pencils only. (Some people just don't like it - especially if there's an inked copy out there.)

Not a book commonly associated with the artist. (like Ditko on anything but Spidey or Doc Strange)

Heavy damage. (Though this is all one of a kind art ... so damage doesn't always kill a deal.)

Page signed on the artwork. (See above.)

Lots of work available. (If I can find their work on every dealers' site - I'm not going to pay thru the nose.)

Boring pages. (Panel pages or pages with the character out of costume are just going to be worth less than an action-packed splash page.)

Though the number one thing that will drive the price up - the "I HAVE TO HAVE THAT AT ANY COST" syndrome. We all get it when we find THE piece. Prices can get really nasty when two people have it at the same time.

Get burned a few times and you'll learn all about pricing. The hard way.

When I first got into the hobby, I trusted one of the more unscrupulous dealers and he burned me badly. It really hurt when people would ask for a piece of mine and I'd tell them what I had to have to break even and they'd laugh at me.

That was the best way for me to learn about pricing. It sucked, but sure taught me a lesson. Quickly.

Thinking about some of those early deals gives me a sick feeling in my belly every time I remember them.

Ugh.

Mike B.

mike . sorry ya got burned. but as in life most of us have found out that way, about something or another at least once in our lifetime. when it comes to original art you cannot know everything. i bought my 1st page in 1975. and i still would not call my self an expert on comic art.

in anything you buy, you have to do your homework. research and ask lots of questions. there are some pretty sharp cats on this board. that would happly give advise. if your thinking about buying a certain artist or title. that,s the really cool thing about this board. it more than a place to show your pretty art. it a learning tool as well. thumbsup2.gif

larry ;]

You can take what mrpunch0 said and put it on a card. Laminate the card. Keep it with you whenever you shop for comic art.

A few other things I've learned:

That artist that doesn't sell his work? Sometimes, he changes his mind.

Rags Morales was keeping all of his artwork off the market -- until life and divorce changed his mind and he had to put a ton of stuff out there. Suddenly, a Morales piece became quite affordable. For a long time, it seemed as if David Lapham was holding onto everything. Not anymore. His El Capitan Books decided to liquidate much of Lapham's OA. A couple of weeks ago, a Lapham Defiant cover went for under $300.

As mrpunch0 said, beware the hot artist. Whatever happened to Stephen Platt, anyway?

And...character counts. As in: A good Spider-Man page is usually pricey, no matter who held the pencil. A Todd McFarlane/Spider-Man splash will cost the moon. On the other hand, a Todd McFarlane/Scorpio Rose page...rare though it might be...will set you back the price of a large popcorn at the local theater.

Finally: That cool page from the classic story line? Get it. The classic story line is always collectible.