• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, you guys have to check this out. I'm so excited!

26 posts in this topic

Take a look at what just arrived in the mail, courtesy of our own supremely talented Ryan Heshka:

April2007192.jpg

April2007193.jpg

April2007191.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice. Beautiful, wonderful, larger than life (20"x14") cover recreation, in acrylic. Ready for framing and display as the centerpiece in what will one day be a super cool comic room.

I'm really hesitant to even post it, as it's not totally framed and perfectly photographed, and I want to do it justice. The colors are even brighter than in the pictures I've taken. But quite honestly, I just had to share it right now.

Thanks Ryan!!!

For comparison, here's the scan of the original cover. Notice all the additional details Ryan added. Shadows and bats and tree limbs and Grundy's hands and moon and mist.....It's simply fantastic.

allamerican61copy2.jpg

holy *spoon*, I had no idea he was that talented...I know he showed me his tec 35, but the AA 61 is great...Ryan, ready for a commission from me????

gator

Simply superb, Ryan!

He couldn't have taken Dickles out of that? poke2.gif

seriously, very very very nice. it would make an excellent centerpiece in any comic room

Win, that is beyond cool. Please post more images as you get them. And you were right to be excited, that is a really, really nice painting.

( gossip.gif I am glad to see Hop was left off)

Kenny

Awesome!!!! The re-creation captures the original perfectly. And, at the same time, blows it away! Outstanding! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Chris, you said exactly what I was thinking.

Win, that is supremely cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif

What an amazing recreation/homage! hail.gif

That's a great cover repro. I bet that will be the centerpiece of your collection. I just recently got a penciled CC Beck repro but cant figure out a way to get pictured properly with my digital camera. Were you able to get a full picture with just one shot or did you have to "splice" together different shots? If so, what programs did you use?

Win, I am glad you are so pleased with the results that it is "post worthy"!!

(Win is the perfect "patron of the arts"... assigns a great commission, steps back, and is 100% pleased with the results... thumbsup2.gif)

I am attaching a scan i took prior to shipping ... this was pre-varnishing, so its glare-free.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

I am looking forward to seeing this framed one day, and maybe having a visit to the comic room when its completed!

1775029-WIN_AAC61commissloresPOST.jpg

1775029-WIN_AAC61commissloresPOST.jpg.6a2df2c92f66976c551ca6c850eae120.jpg

All-American #61 was a perfect cover for Ryan's talents. I think it's best to "reinterpret" the classic covers that are simultaneously crudely drawn. For instance, I wouldn't commission someone to produce a Suspense #3, or an Amazing Mystery Funnies v2#5. Those covers are perfect as they are, and the artist would simply be recreating them as is.

An All-American #61, or a Marvel Comics #1, or a Wonder Comics #1....that type of cover is both classic and primitive. Those are the perfect images for someone like Ryan or Alex Ross or Brain Bolland to recreate, adding life and depth while maintaining the iconic elements.

I'm very happy with it.