• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko Spiderman page?

115 posts in this topic

-another question: is this the only known Ditko fake? I don't mean recreations (I've got a couple) but items like this that seem meant to deceive (though not very well...)?

-Perhaps a list of known comic art forgeries, as a sticky in this forum, would be of service if allowed.

Interesting that seller never describes it as Ditko art:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 35 PAGE 14. PAGE SIZE ABOUT 20.5 X 13.5. IMAGE SIZE ABOUT 18.5 X 12.5. HAND DRAWN ART. $15 shipping and insurance. NO RETURNS.

Is $300 really that bad for a reproduction?

Yes.

The blurryness, low light and small size of the scan should tell you something.

As a reproduction you could get a dozen guys to do this for $50-75 and it would look just as crappy. A perfect line for line light box could be done for $150.

C

The name Steve Ditko should not even be allowed within any part of the context of another artist's reproduction, especially if it's not a tribute piece but rather either lightboxed from the original or copied in some way which might confuse a potential customer or buyer into believing it is by Steve Ditko without reading the fine print, especially with a "Buy it Now" price of $1,599 that is around 10x less than what a real Ditko is worth (screaming "bargain opportunity") but in reality priced 100x more than what the piece probably is worth, if even at that from an investment standpoint. This ad screams of advertising with the intent to confuse, based primarily on the price, but in conjunction with the listing title and presentation of the artwork with description. I hope there's a money back guarantee if not satisfied.