• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Tomb of Dracula #1

15 posts in this topic

Front Cover:

Basic wear and creasing on a 35 year old comic. The bottom right corner is not a tear, but a creased corner that folded up during the scan (d'oh!). The biggest problem is the 4 oh-so-lovely- pieces of tape along the spine. What kills me is that the staples aren't loose, no pulls or stresses, and not rusty. So why is there tape? Good question cause I don't know either. confused.gif

tomb-1.jpg

Back Cover: 4 pieces of tape back for fun, and again, typical wear and creasing for a comic this old. It LOOKS like there might be a subscription crease that shows up on the back as well (though you really can't see any evidence of it on the front cover.

Tomb-1-2.jpg

If it hadn't been for the tape, I probably would have graded this at a 5.0... maaaybe tried to stretch it to a 5.5 if I was being lazy. As is, I've recorded it in by books at a 4.5. Just curious what everyone else out there in TV Land thinks?

Well, I can see a VG- (like I said, I've got it down in a similar grade- 1.0 pt. doesn't make that big a difference in the low grades), but a 2.0? Is it the tape that brings it down more for you? Just wondering. Thanks

Tape, the pages that stick out (spine roll at one point?) general wear and page quality

I mean, aside from it being a TOD #1 what does the book really have going for it. Ignore what might be WRONG with it, what is RIGHT about it? Cover gloss? Not really, Page quailty? Not really, Overall presentation? Not really, and then you get to the tape: #1 distracting #2 Amature Resto #3 What did they fix with it?

I'm not 100% sure it would even get a 2.0....sorry just my opinion

Well, I would disagree over cover gloss and page quality as they are consistent with a number of comics I've purchased from established retailers (i.e. Mile High & Midtown) for FN-. Now, the tape, you're 100% spot on correct.

But, this grading business is a subjective one further complicated when done online smile.gif And consider I only paid a fraction of what it goes for at 2.0 on OS '06, I'm happy either way. grin.gif

Tape, the pages that stick out (spine roll at one point?) general wear and page quality

I mean, aside from it being a TOD #1 what does the book really have going for it. Ignore what might be WRONG with it, what is RIGHT about it? Cover gloss? Not really, Page quailty? Not really, Overall presentation? Not really, and then you get to the tape: #1 distracting #2 Amature Resto #3 What did they fix with it?

Perhaps you need to refresh your opinion with a walk through a grading guide . . . insane.gif

I thought you were pulling your grades out of your arse, and now you've confirmed it! blush.gif

poke2.gif

Well, I would disagree over cover gloss and page quality as they are consistent with a number of comics I've purchased from established retailers (i.e. Mile High & Midtown) for FN-. Now, the tape, you're 100% spot on correct.

But, this grading business is a subjective one further complicated when done online smile.gif And consider I only paid a fraction of what it goes for at 2.0 on OS '06, I'm happy either way. grin.gif

It's good to be happy cool.gif

Perhaps you need to refresh your opinion with a walk through a grading guide . . . insane.gif

I thought you were pulling your grades out of your arse, and now you've confirmed it! blush.gif

poke2.gif

No..I have a hat and i just pull a number out then spend endless hours trying to find a way to make the book fit the number grin.gif

So, you're saying that you would agree with a 4 to 4.5?

I guess some people have more problems with taped together books than others. Hey, if you're happy with that, cool.

poke2.gif

No..I have a hat and i just pull a number out then spend endless hours trying to find a way to make the book fit the number grin.gif

I guess some people have more problems with taped together books than others. Hey, if you're happy with that, cool.

Grading has nothing to do with what you are happy with. makepoint.gif Personally, I hate tape. I only own one book in 5,000 that has tape - a Witchcraft #7 with a taped spine (look it up - you'll see why it doesn't bother me.) grin.gif

Grades are assigned according to the positive qualities and defects that a book exhibits, it can be subjective and sometimes arbitrary, but you'll find most skilled graders pretty close to each other. Certain defects bother certain collectors more than others, but the assigned grade should be independent of that, as there are allowable defects in each grade. I suggest that you get a copy of the OSGG 2nd Edition and give it a good read, then read it again. flowerred.gif

poke2.gif

Grading has nothing to do with what you are happy with. makepoint.gif Personally, I hate tape. I only own one book in 5,000 that has tape - a Witchcraft #7 with a taped spine (look it up - you'll see why it doesn't bother me.) grin.gif

Grades are assigned according to the positive qualities and defects that a book exhibits, it can be subjective and sometimes arbitrary, but you'll find most skilled graders pretty close to each other. Certain defects bother certain collectors more than others, but the assigned grade should be independent of that, as there are allowable defects in each grade. I suggest that you get a copy of the OSGG 2nd Edition and give it a good read, then read it again. flowerred.gif

Huh? What does OSGG stand for? (as if) 893blahblah.gif Again, for the reading challenged, You think it is a 4 then? A 4.5? What would YOU say is a fair grade for the book? It's all very interesting to disagree with a 2.0 but WHY? It would be more fun and better reading if you would actually talk about the merits of the book.

As far as this: I would agree in a general way, that might be the way things "should be" however in practice I'm certain that having say 1/4 of the f/c missing 'counts' more than 1/4 of the b/c. I do understand what you are saying about a certain standard...but as is well documented it does not always work that way (see for example the term "Golden Age Bump"). grin.gif

Well, these are the major defects that I've noted from page 1. Now, for me- basic wear usually entails minor indication of a subscription crease (minor= only noticeable on one side and not visible on the inside at all), minor creasing on the edges, some minor blunting on the corners, and maybe some off-white to creamy pages. There should still be some decent gloss on the cover. This pretty much gives me a Fine - to Fine.... which I would have given this minus certain adhesive material.

While, I'd at least like to see this at a 4.0-4.5, I can see where some might ding this at G/VG. Worst case, I'm not a dealer, and I have only recently gotten back into this hobby (a year ago). So I could be off a bit still. smile.gif

Front Cover:

Basic wear and creasing on a 35 year old comic. The bottom right corner is not a tear, but a creased corner that folded up during the scan (d'oh!). The biggest problem is the 4 oh-so-lovely- pieces of tape along the spine. What kills me is that the staples aren't loose, no pulls or stresses, and not rusty. So why is there tape? Good question cause I don't know either.

Back Cover: 4 pieces of tape back for fun, and again, typical wear and creasing for a comic this old. It LOOKS like there might be a subscription crease that shows up on the back as well (though you really can't see any evidence of it on the front cover.