• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men #1 cgc 9.4 on comiclink...WOW!

28 posts in this topic

I would rather have CGC Very Fine (8.0) off-white copies of:

AF #15

ASM #1

Avengers #1

DD #1

FF #1

IH #1

JIM #83

ST #115

TOS #39

TTA #27

X-Men #1

Which would probably cost about the same (OK maybe a few grand more but who's counting).

But Hey, that's just me.

The only problem is that flipping it may prove more difficult than expected. The BSDs that have that kind of money don't spring that easily for bronze books in the $50K and up range. That's why they have that kind of money.

Sometimes, the most important factor in an investment, whether quick turn or not, isn't what you buy...it's what you decide to pass on.

Spoke to a dealer today who gave me a little history about this book. This book was a double cover a few months ago. It seems the outer cover was removed. I also heard that this book has been pressed.

If the outer cover was taken off, were the staples taken out to remove the outer cover? You wouldn't just rip the outer cover off. What happened to the outer cover?

Spoke to a dealer today who gave me a little history about this book. This book was a double cover a few months ago. It seems the outer cover was removed. I also heard that this book has been pressed.

If the outer cover was taken off, were the staples taken out to remove the outer cover? You wouldn't just rip the outer cover off. What happened to the outer cover?

hmmmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's too juicy not to go into more detail on! Who told you that?

There was a double cover with the interior being a 9.2 that I heard sold to Storms and then to someone else...maybe this is it? This kind of thing is going to eventually have an effect on high grade prices...some 9.4/9.6 books will go down, some will go up, and right now, it's not clear which will be the winners and which the losers!!! It'd be a real confidence-breaker to anybody with a significant chunk of change tied up in a comic to hear how someone with a little determination, very little skill, and cheap materials can turn a $25K book into a $50K book.

Ding....Ding....Ding... You Win!!!!!

Which part did I get right--the book, or who told you? I'm mostly trying to figure out how the person who told you would know the work had been done.

Is it restoration to remove the outer cover? We know that CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration.

strictly speaking yes, because its "cheating...however, seems like apretty big grey area. Up till now double covers have been left intact because they are cool, and because it made sense since the outer, lesser condition cover shields the inner nice one (like a book jacket)

BUT -- if a comics is getting shielded in a SLAB - - - AND it will grade higher with just ONE cover, gee --- its sure sounds like a no-brainer, right!In a few years we may never see another double cover again EXCEPT for books that used to be TRIPLE covers!