• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inked page vs. penciled page round 1

18 posts in this topic

I'd like to bring up a subject that has probably been had before. The only difference is that now it affects my wallet laugh.gif. Would you rather buy the original penciled page or a photocopied page of the pencils with original inks assuming you could only have 1? Personally I love looking at inks way more than looking at pencils, but is it really "original" and are these more or less collectable? I'm looking at a really affordable wolverine page, that looks awesome, of wolvie fighting sabretooth and just wanted to know your opinions before I buy it!

I'd like to bring up a subject that has probably been had before. The only difference is that now it affects my wallet laugh.gif. Would you rather buy the original penciled page or a photocopied page of the pencils with original inks assuming you could only have 1? Personally I love looking at inks way more than looking at pencils, but is it really "original" and are these more or less collectable? I'm looking at a really affordable wolverine page, that looks awesome, of wolvie fighting sabretooth and just wanted to know your opinions before I buy it!

If I could only have one, I'd take the penciled page.

If I could only have one, I'd take the pencilled page.

But I don't like pencilled pages. Or inked pages that have no direct relation to the pencils.

So...now that I think about it...keep 'em both.

If I had to pick one, pencilled as well. I can always get someone to ink a blueline copy whenever I want like lmiller said. However I personally won't buy a pencilled only page. I'm a huge Wieringo fan and love the Fantastic Four but all his stuff is pencils only and it doesn't do anything for me at all. Personally I won't even buy a page if it doesn't have lettering right on the page either. That's what makes art collecting cool though, everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

So true. My problem is that the original pencils in the page I'm looking at are nowhere to be found. Only the inked page is for sale.

Now, I've looked high and low for an affordable ($100-$350) wolverine page specifically one where he is the main focus of the page and he has his claws out and perhaps fighting. I can't find one. I've tried everything from comicartfans.com to google and this inked only page is the only one that has all of those elements and that stand out to me. It has wolverine fighting sabretooth with claws out and also drawing blood from sabretooth (no word bubbles though. I can live with that). It's really sweet and so far every other page I've found in that price range do not look nearly like something I would want to hang on my wall as this one does.

If anyone does have a lead on a page like that in that price range, please let me know.

So true. My problem is that the original pencils in the page I'm looking at are nowhere to be found. Only the inked page is for sale.

Now, I've looked high and low for an affordable ($100-$350) wolverine page specifically one where he is the main focus of the page and he has his claws out and perhaps fighting. I can't find one. I've tried everything from comicartfans.com to google and this inked only page is the only one that has all of those elements and that stand out to me. It has wolverine fighting sabretooth with claws out and also drawing blood from sabretooth (no word bubbles though. I can live with that). It's really sweet and so far every other page I've found in that price range do not look nearly like something I would want to hang on my wall as this one does.

If anyone does have a lead on a page like that in that price range, please let me know.

How long have you been looking?

It pays to be patient in this hobby, as all sorts of unexpected pieces pop up. Better to wait, rather than spend the money on something you are not 100% sure about.

Does it have to be an actual comic page? Why not go the commission route? A few guys here have gotten sick commissions from Josh Medors. IIRC, someone has an unreal Spidey vs. Goblin commission that was around the $350 range.

I'll bet he'd do a killer Wolvie/Sabretooth battle. thumbsup2.gif

I like comissions a lot but for my next purchase I wanted something published. I've been looking for about 2 weeks now. I am a patient person but I do want this page specifically sooner rather than later. And to clear things up, I would be completely happy with the inked only page.

I like comissions a lot but for my next purchase I wanted something published. I've been looking for about 2 weeks now. I am a patient person but I do want this page specifically sooner rather than later. And to clear things up, I would be completely happy with the inked only page.

Word! Go for it. Be sure to post the page when you get it. thumbsup2.gif

That's the key. If it's something you'd be happy to own then who cares about anyone else? I have several pieces of art that I love for one reason or another and it brings joy to me to look at it. If someone else doesn't like it oh well, that's how art is. Buy what makes you happy. laugh.gif

Well I went ahead and got it. It's penciled by Leinil Yu and inked by Ed Tadeo. I can't find a nicer looking page for $200 even if it's only inks. Here's a picture of it:

126p16.jpg

Thats a very nice page. I was in fact eyeing that and ordered it from Court.. you beat me by seconds (well, you beat me, who knows how long)

but now you have me confused. In your original question, you were saying 2 versions exists, inked and pencilled. As far as I know, these pages are pencilled then inked no? or are they inked from bluelines.

Malvin

After I bought it, the seller told me that in fact Leinil DID pencil it and Tadeo inked it. I assumed it was an inked copy because Tadeo had talked about doing that sort of thing to other pages in his blog. Now I am SUPER HAPPY because I have this awesome page that is totally original!