• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this even allowed?

15 posts in this topic

If I'm not mistaken......I believe eBay has a feature that allows you to specify and allow only a certain authorized bidder to bid on your auction......for just such an occasion like this.

It seems like I read that not too long ago on their site somewhere. I'll see if I can figure out where I got that from.......or can anyone else in here verify if that's correct or not. confused-smiley-013.gif

From eBay Help Section:

Pre-approve Buyers

Limit who can buy each of your listings

For each of your listings individually, you can create a list of pre-approved buyers who may bid on that item or purchase it with Buy It Now.

Here's how it works:

Each pre-approved list specifies the eBay members who can bid on your item or purchase it with Buy It Now.

Members not on the list must email you for approval before they can bid on your item.

Each pre-approved list only applies to one item, so you can restrict bidding or buying on one of your listings without changing the others.

You can add and delete pre-approved bidders/buyers until your listing ends.

Related Help topics

Couple years ago, I wanted to bid on this comic but missed out. It didn't sell, nobody else wanted it. So, I emailed the guy letting him know I was interested. In playing with e-bay rules, we both agreed that he would re-list the comic as a BUY IT NOW at a price we agreed to with me as the only eligible bidder. That way, e-bay still gets their cut and neither of us would be involved in making a deal on the side using e-bay as a method of contact. If anyone's interested, it was a Justice League of America #3. So, yes....this kind of thing is very much allowed. grin.gif

Couple years ago, I wanted to bid on this comic but missed out. It didn't sell, nobody else wanted it. So, I emailed the guy letting him know I was interested. In playing with e-bay rules, we both agreed that he would re-list the comic as a BUY IT NOW at a price we agreed to with me as the only eligible bidder. That way, e-bay still gets their cut and neither of us would be involved in making a deal on the side using e-bay as a method of contact. If anyone's interested, it was a Justice League of America #3. So, yes....this kind of thing is very much allowed. grin.gif

Thanks ninanAIn (...lesbain thread reference tongue.gif ) - I see that it is allowed. I guess I was just thrown by the method by which the seller went through with it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess maybe the seller or buyer wanted the dubious protection that Ebay provides. I had a person contact me about some GL books that had ended saying he was away from home and couldn't bid. I offered to sell offline but he thought it was somehow safer if I put them up again with a BIN that we agreed on ahead of time.

Anyway, at least he followed through right away and we both got a pos feedback out of the deal

dave h