• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 25 Sci-fi from the past 25 years

84 posts in this topic

ALIENS should be in the top three of any sci-fi list. It was even an option on the international flight I just took right there along side of new release movies.

This was a Entertainment Weekly list, and includes Movies and TV. Since it is from the past 25 years, it does not include Star Wars (sorry Newt) or Empire Strikes Back (sorry again grin.gif ).

#1 - The Matrix

#2 - Battlestar Galactica (new series)

#3 - Blade Runner

#4 - X-Files

#5 - Star Trek 2 - Wrath of Khan

#6 - Brazil

#7 - E.T.

#8 - Star Trek: The Next Generation

#9 - Aliens

#10 - The Thing

#11 - Lost

#12 - Back to the Future

#13 - Terminator/Terminator 2

#14 - Children of Men

#15 - Firefly/Serenity

#16 - Total Recall

#17 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind confused-smiley-013.gif

#18 - Heroes

#19 - Starship Troopers

#20 - Star Wars: Clone Wars (there ya go, Newt!)

#21 - Futurama

#22 - Quantum Leap

#23 - Doctor Who

#24 - Galaxy Quest

#25 - V: The Miniseries

Blade Runner belongs at #1

Aliens #2

Terminator #3

28 Days Later #4

Predator #5

Pitch Black #6

Ghost In The Shel #7l

Iron Giant #8

A.I. #9 - seems like people loved it or hated it - I loved it.

Slither #10 - fun fun fun!

Dark City #11 - Jennifer Connelly yay!

The Thing #12

Galaxy Quest #13

and the rest bore me...

Event Horizon was great, but I would lean toward calling it a horror movie despite the space setting.

Isn't that what the Alien movies were too?

Scary alien life forms incubating eggs inside space miners/marines = sci-fi

Portals to hell, demon/devil possession, mutilations, videos of past crew members possessed and disembowling each other while speaking in Latin = horror

Event Horizon was great, but I would lean toward calling it a horror movie despite the space setting.

Isn't that what the Alien movies were too?

Scary alien life forms incubating eggs inside space miners/marines = sci-fi

Portals to hell, demon/devil possession, mutilations, videos of past crew members possessed and disembowling each other while speaking in Latin = horror

screwy.gif

This list has popped up elsewhere and the same thoughts come to me every time I see it:

- Donnie Darko isn't even on the list.

-The Matrix (a great action movie) is some how above Brazil and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (great movies period)

I'm kinda surprised they lumped TV with Films. That eliminates a lot in each that was left off the list.

Fifth Element

Robocop

Men In Black

Event Horizon

Armageddon

Stargate

Babylon 5

Star Trek: Voyager/Enterprise/Deep Space Nine

Sliders

Stargate SG-1/Atlantis

Dark Angel

Threshold

Fifth Element is one of my favorite films Sci Fi or not and Men In Black and Robocop deserve consideration for sure but would you really put Event Horizon and Armageddon in the top 25 Sci Fi movies of the last 25 years?

Fifth Element is one of my favorite films Sci Fi or not and Men In Black and Robocop deserve consideration for sure but would you really put Event Horizon and Armageddon in the top 25 Sci Fi movies of the last 25 years?

I would have seperated film from Tv in my list.

So by removing the following:

#4 - X-Files

#11 - Lost

#18 - Heroes

#21 - Futurama

#22 - Quantum Leap

#23 - Doctor Who

That leaves 10 spots open for Sci-Fi movies. I guarantee Armageddon will get put in their no matter what other movies you can think of. I added Event Horizon, only because of its space elements, regardless of the horror aspect of the film. I also wouldn't include remakes, like Lost In Space, Solaris, etc.

#4 - X-Files

#11 - Lost

#18 - Heroes

#21 - Futurama

#22 - Quantum Leap

#23 - Doctor Who

That leaves 10 spots open for Sci-Fi movies. I guarantee Armageddon will get put in their no matter what other movies you can think of. I added Event Horizon, only because of its space elements, regardless of the horror aspect of the film. I also wouldn't include remakes, like Lost In Space, Solaris, etc.

In no particular order...

#1 - The Thing

#2 - Pitch Black

#3 - Blade Runner

#4 - Chronicles Of Riddick

#6 - Brazil

#7 - E.T.

#8 - They Live

#9 - Aliens

#10 - The Matrix

#11 - Terminator

#12 - The Abyss

#13 - Terminator 2

#14 - Children of Men

#15 - Serenity

#16 - Total Recall

#17 - Stargate

#18 - Independence Day

#19 - Starship Troopers

#20 - Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

#21 - War Of The Worlds

#22 - Predator

#23 - Robocop

#24 - Galaxy Quest

#25 - Fifth Element

#26 - Men In Black

#27 - Mars Attacks

#28 - Return Of The Jedi

#29 - The Hidden

#30 - Lifeforce

No Armageddon

Babylon 5 deserved to be in it.

Seriously.

The thing won a couple of Hugo awards, and was nominated at least once more for Best Dramatic Presentation of those particular years.

How could I forget??? One of the most under-rated big production sci-fi flicks out there... foreheadslap.gif...put this one in the top ten for sure.... makepoint.gif

DUNE / 1984

thufir1.jpg

Babylon 5 should have definitely been included. I would rate it as the best Sci-Fi TV series ever, hands down. As much as a Star Wars nut as I am, Babylon 5 even surpasses it in terms of the epic "space opera" story line. Where else can you find a TV series that was announced from day 1 that it was a 5 year story, and wouldn't last an episode longer. It was billed as an epic story with a definitive starting and ending point. But the joy was in filling in the details. Watching Season 1 was okay, but the real rewards come in seasons 3 and 4 when story arcs are tied together and bread crumbs laid in earlier seasons all of a sudden make total sense. It was just an amazing creation!

I would agree with many of the others on the list (except for maybe Starship Troopers which was fun, but no way near a top 25 movie, and Futurama which is humorous, but again not top 25 material).

Personally, I like the new Battlestar Galactica and Firefly. I'd also add V for Vendetta simply due to my comic book affinity. But, Babylon 5 is a no brainer.

Babylon 5 should have definitely been included. I would rate it as the best Sci-Fi TV series ever, hands down. As much as a Star Wars nut as I am, Babylon 5 even surpasses it in terms of the epic "space opera" story line. Where else can you find a TV series that was announced from day 1 that it was a 5 year story, and wouldn't last an episode longer. It was billed as an epic story with a definitive starting and ending point. But the joy was in filling in the details. Watching Season 1 was okay, but the real rewards come in seasons 3 and 4 when story arcs are tied together and bread crumbs laid in earlier seasons all of a sudden make total sense. It was just an amazing creation!

Yes, without a doubt, B5 was the absolute best that there was in science fiction! thumbsup2.gif

Went beyond the usual Star Trek single episode type of storyline and gave us a masterful and thrilling continuous storyline that ran throughout the whole series. Wonderful storytelling with all of the foreshadowing in which we actually saw glimpses of the final season right in Episode 1 of Season 1. This was done throughout the series and always left the viewer thinking.

Went beyond simple action and delved into topics such as the creation of the Universe, the concept of God (the First Ones), the ongoing battle between good and evil, the edge of the universe and possibly what lies beyond. B5 basically stretched the boundaries beyond basic storytelling.

For the action types, B5 also had lots of it as it was really a story about space wars. Even in the interludes between the wars, there was always a sense of a pending war. Certainly won't dispute the fact that there were some weak episodes in between all of the gems, but really can't complain too much.

The real strength behind B5 laid in its strong and continuous storyline. No doubt helped by the fact that well over 90 of the 110 episodes was written by JMS, the creator of the show who had a clear vision of the show right from the start. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

#4 - X-Files

#11 - Lost

#18 - Heroes

#21 - Futurama

#22 - Quantum Leap

#23 - Doctor Who

In no particular order...

#1 - The Thing

#2 - Pitch Black

#3 - Blade Runner

#4 - Chronicles Of Riddick

#6 - Brazil

#7 - E.T.

#8 - They Live

#9 - Aliens

#10 - The Matrix

#11 - Terminator

#12 - The Abyss

#13 - Terminator 2

#14 - Children of Men

#15 - Serenity

#16 - Total Recall

#17 - Stargate

#18 - Independence Day

#19 - Starship Troopers

#20 - Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

#21 - War Of The Worlds

#22 - Predator

#23 - Robocop

#24 - Galaxy Quest

#25 - Fifth Element

#26 - Men In Black

#27 - Mars Attacks

#28 - Return Of The Jedi

#29 - The Hidden

#30 - Lifeforce

No Armageddon

You are seperating out movies, which they didn't do. So Terminator/Terminator 3/TErminaotr 3 = one line. Star Wars = one line. So based on your list you need 3 more movies.