• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

resub an old label or not?

regrading red label cgc comics  

237 members have voted

1. 1. regrading red label cgc comics

42 posts in this topic

well let say cgc decided to change their lable again, if you sumit your books for re-holder(wich is only changing the cgc case) arent you supose to get the same grade since they are not grading the book.

thanks

You can ask for the reholder service in which CGC gives you a new label and case. I was talking about a full resub in which you crack open the case yourself and remove the book from the inner plastic well and send it in to attempt a higher grade. They wouldn't know the grade unless you also sent the label with the raw book. After you receive the book back, you should send the label to them from the cracked case so the census stays accurate.

I have about 120 old label books in my collection, and haven't resubmitted any yet. I guess I like the idea of keeping the old label (less stigma when it comes to pressing).

What is the rational behind your above statement?

I have always bought the book not the slab. I also look for a White Pages book. I have a few book's I would bet $$ on that would grade higher if I sent them in again. But I'm happy with them now. It's a gamble that can pay off. But if it's a book worth good $$ your taking a risk that can possibly hurt the value big time.

well let say cgc decided to change their lable again, if you sumit your books for re-holder(wich is only changing the cgc case) arent you supose to get the same grade since they are not grading the book.

thanks

You can ask for the reholder service in which CGC gives you a new label and case. I was talking about a full resub in which you crack open the case yourself and remove the book from the inner plastic well and send it in to attempt a higher grade. They wouldn't know the grade unless you also sent the label with the raw book. After you receive the book back, you should send the label to them from the cracked case so the census stays accurate.

ok, but if you reholder, should you get the same grade?

I view resubbing as degrading the integrity of CGC's grading process. The more inconsistencies that are identified in its subjectivity the less their grade can be trusted. Why would I, as someone who wants CGC books to retain their value, seek to contribute to a process that potentially harms CGC's image in the long term?

Of course, CGC encourages resubbing for business reasons in order to generate additional profit. That may be a good reason for CGC as a business, but I view it as a terrible reason for the hobby.

Resubbing in one sense demonstrates that CGC is just like any other individual/entity that grades books (i.e., subjective and changing from one week to the next), which is really what it is now anyway though people seem to view it as if they are better qualified to grade than others. They're not. In fact, CGC has a collective grading interpretation towards or against certain types of defects that are not shared by either the Overstreet Grading Guide or many dealers/collectors (such as slamming grades hard on otherwise unobtrusive stains).

That said, to me the value in having CGC grade a book ONCE lies with their restoration check and stated neutrality.

If you're supposed to resubmit older certified books within 7 years or so, I guess you need to call CGC with the serial number to see when the book was originally slabbed!!!! Also if you send your book for reslabbing only, I am under the impression that it WILL receive the same grade again since they are not regrading the book. Is this correct? hm

Also how screwed up is the census by all the books that have been taken out of slabs and resubmitted without returning the previous label. I've got a book that is NOT slabbed (it was purchased that way) but I believe I can identify the same book from an earlier scan that I have as a CGC 7.5 book. If the label wasn't sent back CGC doesn't know, and if I resubmit the book for slabbing CGC's census would be wrong!!!!! :makepoint:

I'm quite sure this has already happened hundreds of times. I don't know if CGC scans each individual submission, but if they did they'd have a fingerprint of each book and with current technology could identify such books similar to an FBI fingerprint file. This might be an expensive proposition but it would make the Census accurate.

Also I wouldn't do it on Moderns, but for certain very rare Golden Age books this could be worthwhile.

A lot of collectors really don't care anyway, but I think the Census can be a valuble tool, especially years down the road when many more collections are submitted. Is the Census already too far out of whack to be accurate now???

I wouldn't resub it. Red labels are rare.

I agree. If I ever get back into moderns, my goal will be a red-label run of some title or other.

I had to do a double take,as you quoted a post from an exiled board member.

I love old labels. :cloud9: