• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Essential Books : Reading the Fantastic Four

36 posts in this topic

Well I've been finally getting a chance to sit back, relax and read some of the stories I had never read before. I recently picked up Volume 1 through 5 of the Essential fantastic Four. I'm so far at issue #12 and I must say the Fantastic Four #1 through 11 were snoozers for me. #12 was the first one that got me going plain and simple because of the Hulk. Does Invisible girl ever actually do something? When will Mr. Fantastic stop making all fights boring?

Amazing Spider-man however had me hooked from #1 and so far I'm at the 29th issue. Along these lines what should I pick up? I've already ordered Daredevil, and Punisher #1 is on the way from a board member.

I guess this is more a rant because I was expecting so much more out of the Fantastic Four's earlier issues, but it just doesn't have the grab. I am kind of disappointed I picked up all 5 of the trades. I will finish it because I do expect it to get more interesting once Torch gets his act together.

There are sooooo many Essential volumes that it would take you quite a long time to get through them all. Then add in the Showcase Presents books.

Story wise, the bronze age stuff was the best reading. The silver age stuff has the best in terms of seeing the origins and first appearances of many of the heroes/villains.

It's OK to look at the early FF with critical eyes. As much as I love them I still make fun of the plotlines in issues 7 and 9.

Methinks that you'd do better with some color reprints of those stories.

I have a few Essentials but I rarely touch them because I want color.

It's OK to look at the early FF with critical eyes. As much as I love them I still make fun of the plotlines in issues 7 and 9.

Methinks that you'd do better with some color reprints of those stories.

I have a few Essentials but I rarely touch them because I want color.

Yes, that did kind of bug me a little but I was looking more into the stories and not really the art. Perhaps my most favorite issues I'll end up buying eventually. grin.gif

There are sooooo many Essential volumes that it would take you quite a long time to get through them all. Then add in the Showcase Presents books.

Story wise, the bronze age stuff was the best reading. The silver age stuff has the best in terms of seeing the origins and first appearances of many of the heroes/villains.

thumbsup2.gif What do you think of some of the golden age stuff? I think I'm very partial to DC for the GA books though, so if anyone has comment on GA reprints that'd be very welcome. I've thought about picking up the Batman reprints.

I guess this is more a rant because I was expecting so much more out of the Fantastic Four's earlier issues, but it just doesn't have the grab.

You're right, it doesn't. Stan Lee wasn't a master of plot or story, he good at dialogue and extremely good at character design. His plotlines are often boring and campy to read by modern standards, but his characters hold up very well today.

The early Spideys had campy plots also, but they seemed less that way because the design of Peter Parker as a character is so very compelling. It's a lot more fun to read about a struggling teenager since it's so easy for anyone to identify with that type of character.

thumbsup2.gif What do you think of some of the golden age stuff? I think I'm very partial to DC for the GA books though, so if anyone has comment on GA reprints that'd be very welcome. I've thought about picking up the Batman reprints.

I haven't read much of the GA reprints, because I think those are some of the worst stories out there. The art and stories are way too simple.

I have bought the Batman Chronicles and Superman Chronicles. Both are color reprints in chronological order.

I guess this is more a rant because I was expecting so much more out of the Fantastic Four's earlier issues, but it just doesn't have the grab.

You're right, it doesn't. Stan Lee wasn't a master of plot or story, he good at dialogue and extremely good at character design. His plotlines are often boring and campy to read by modern standards, but his characters hold up very well today.

The early Spideys had campy plots also, but they seemed less that way because the design of Peter Parker as a character is so very compelling. It's a lot more fun to read about a struggling teenager since it's so easy for anyone to identify with that type of character.

I think Spider-Man had more of a hook to keep the slight suspense going. As much as I hate to admit it, I've been dying to almost upset at 'Peter parker' for ditching Mary Jane so much. => I'm dying to figure out what actually starts it off between them. I've only watched the movie as reference to early issues and obviously it was/is way off which only makes me even more curious.

That was as opposed to Invisible girl > Mr Fantastic > Submariner I guess. Honestly I don't really care who Invisible Girl ends up with because I'm beginning to dislike the character because of the whiney nature, and I'm only on very early issues.

That was as opposed to Invisible girl > Mr Fantastic > Submariner I guess. Honestly I don't really care who Invisible Girl ends up with because I'm beginning to dislike the character because of the whiney nature, and I'm only on very early issues.
She earns her keep at the end of issue 38. thumbsup2.gif

Deep down I preferred Crystal who replaces her for awhile. But sue could come in handy every now and then.

It's hard to plot and draw an invisible "Good guy" character than villian.

She earns her keep at the end of issue 38. thumbsup2.gif

Deep down I preferred Crystal who replaces her for awhile. But sue could come in handy every now and then.

It's hard to plot and draw an invisible "Good guy" character than villian.

To be fair, the other members of the FF had fairly easy powers to use. I think Stan and Jack were limited by their creativity in the beginning.

I've been dying to almost upset at 'Peter parker' for ditching Mary Jane so much. => I'm dying to figure out what actually starts it off between them.

You're gonna love it, and the last panel of issue #42 is an ideal sample of Stan Lee's flair for dialogue...Sam Raimi was nuts for not using it in the original film. I suppose it didn't fit the film Mary Jane's introduction like it did in the comic...ah well.

Stan Lee would be unwatchable/unreadable at almost everything about writing a screenplay except one thing--dialogue. A lot of the dialogue he wrote for the Spidey characters in the comics is far better than anything we've seen in the three Spidey films. Stan Lee's Mary Jane makes Kirsten Dunst's and her writer's depiction of the character look like a wallflower.

But after that in the following issues Mary Jane's "Swinging Good Times Daddy-o" 893blahblah.gif got old real fast.

I believe this is why so many preferred Gwen.