• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Essential Books : Reading the Fantastic Four

36 posts in this topic

Nope, not limiting myself to anything. Perhaps I would like to also try some DC stuff too.

Showcase presents The Haunted Tank and House of Mystery. Both have a slew of great art and stories.

But after that in the following issues Mary Jane's "Swinging Good Times Daddy-o" 893blahblah.gif got old real fast.

I believe this is why so many preferred Gwen.

Which is a big part in Stan's motivation for introducing her. Didn't Mary Jane eventually back down off of the hip image and open up, though? I could be remembering the relationships wrong, but I seem to recall Peter not liking her for the same reason you didn't, which means Stan designed her that way.

Or maybe the writer who followed up Stan changed her? I forget.

Buy the legion of superheroes showcase and if you like it I have the archives for sale in color smile.gif

Most of the people are gonna recommend stuff they enjoyed, regardless of how good it is.

You need to figure out what you like and then read that. If you liked the Essential ASM books, then you will probably enjoy the Essential PPSSM books and the Essential MTU books as well.

Most of the people are gonna recommend stuff they enjoyed, regardless of how good it is.

You need to figure out what you like and then read that. If you liked the Essential ASM books, then you will probably enjoy the Essential PPSSM books and the Essential MTU books as well.

I wouldn’t presuppose that because someone liked ASM 1-29 they’re going to like PPSSM or MTU. Those titles are a far cry from the Lee/Ditko run, or the first 100 issues at least. Neither the writing or art can hold a candle to the original series.

I wouldn’t presuppose that because someone liked ASM 1-29 they’re going to like PPSSM or MTU. Those titles are a far cry from the Lee/Ditko run, or the first 100 issues at least. Neither the writing or art can hold a candle to the original series.

True, but it would be a better supposition that he might like PPSM or MTU, than to suggest something like LOSH, FF, or any number of other titles from the SA/BA. He may just enjoy Spider-man stories, which is why the suggestion for PPSM and MTU.

That's why I buy these 1 volume at a time you just never know what you are going to like until you read it.

I buy all the Essential/Showcase Presents. Not so much for reading, although I do read them occasionally. I use them primarily for research. It's much easier and cheaper to have those than the Masterworks.

Nope, not limiting myself to anything. Perhaps I would like to also try some DC stuff too.

Showcase presents The Haunted Tank and House of Mystery. Both have a slew of great art and stories.

I second on the Haunted Tank Showcase, chock full of beautiful Russ Heath artwork cloud9.gif

To be truthful FF doesn't get good until the big Thing - Hulk fight in FF 25/26.

But I fould a few of the earlier issue interesting.

5, 4, 2, 12, and 13 are classics of the early SA I think.

I listed them in order of my favorites.

What's interesting in the early FFs is to see Stan and Jack transitioning from years of throwaway monster stories into the FF we know and love. The first few issues are essentially monster stories with some superheroes thrown in.

FF 4 is still one of my favorite books of all time. The sequence where Johnny reveals Namor by burning off his beard is great.

I got a bunch of the Showcase/Essentials for Christmas. I liked Avengers Vol. 4 (primarily for the Kree/Skrull War) but I'm having a hard time getting through Marvel-Team Up #2. Essential Tomb Of Dracula #2 wasn't as good as I expected.

I resisted them for years because I didn't like the B&W format, but it's such a cheap read, I gave in.

To be truthful FF doesn't get good until the big Thing - Hulk fight in FF 25/26.

But I fould a few of the earlier issue interesting.

5, 4, 2, 12, and 13 are classics of the early SA I think.

I listed them in order of my favorites.

Agree completely on issues 25/26.

One of my all time favourite stories.

Artboy99