• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible group of CGC Gold, Silver, Bronze listed - Many more to come

47 posts in this topic

I have been listing some very nice CGC graded books this week and today I just posted another nice group.

There is some geat stuff here, so be sure to look through ALL of the Recent Additions pages or you will miss some nice books.

Today I posted some beautiful golden age Detective comics and Superman Comics, including the first appearance of the Penguin (#58) in 9.4, Superman #30, and a #202 in 9.8

Also Adventure #74 Rockford pedigree (9.0), Whiz #100 in 9.6 and many more....

Oh, and be sure to check out Feature Book #39 (9.6)... Why? Well this Phantom cover is awesome and perhaps the best ever.

I will be posting MANY more all this month so don't forget to check back daily

PGC Mint - Huge assortment of CGC graded NM books

wow...the tec 54 and 58 are great...I have a nice 58, and would love the 54, but too rich for my blood frown.gif

gator

ps-for any that don't know Mark, he hooked me up last year with a great More Fun 52...in fact, he sold me the book for "less" than I offered...that is right...I offered "x" for it, and he told me he had quoted another potential buyer a lower price, and wanted to offer it to me for that...done deal right there!...I wish I was a high grade guy, as I would throw biz his way all I could, but alas, i like low/mid and restored, so I don't often get an opportunity to buy from him, but I do recommend!

More nice books listed today.....

Either the Highest or 2nd Highest grades on the Census - Some Mile Highs

Action Comics #77, 87, 95

Adventure Comics #60, 77, 78, 83, 107

Detective Comics #111, 127

Superman #27

** I will have a few more Golden age Superman's up tomorrow - Highest grades

More nice books listed today 5/11.....

Highest grades on the Census - Some Mile Highs....

All Star Comics #12 CGC NM 9.4 - Rockford pedigree

All Star Comics #19 CGC NM+ 9.6 - Rockford pedigree

Archie's Pals N Gals #6 & #7

Star Spangled Comics #17 CGC NM+ 9.6 - Double cover Mile High pedigree

Superman #46 CGC NM 9.4 - 1st Superboy in Superman comics

Superman #92 CGC VF/NM 9.0

WD Comics & Stories #105

***Many More to come....

PGC Mint - Huge assortment of CGC graded NM books

Whoops!...

I forgot to mention a couple of really nice books....

Superman #22 CGC VF+ 8.5 ow/w pages (Hitler appearance)

and...

My Greatest Adventure #80 CGC NM+ 9.6 ow/w pages - 1st Doom Patrol

A remarkable concept that was created to compete with Marvel’s Fantastic Four, the Doom Patrol ended up being a template for the X-Men!

As for the thought that the Doom Patrol copied the X-Men, that is a reverse truth. If you check your history you will find that DC published this historic issue with a June 1963 disribution date, and Marvel releasing the X-Men #1 three months later in September.

So while X-Men was the first to the screen the Doom Patrol were created and established first.

An amazing coincidence? A wheelchair bound but genius leader assembles a group of freaks with extroidinary powers, dedicated to saving mankind and yet being distrusted. No coincidence at all.

Interestingly, an X-Men #1 in 9.6 has already broken the $100,000.00 barrier while My Greatest Adventure #80 has yet to break 10k. Obviously this book has lots of room for growth.

Mark, you need to revise your description on your site, where you say the new copy you`ve listed (which is the Western Penn copy) is "tied with only one other for the Highest grade on the Census". In fact, there are 3 9.6 copies: the Western Penn copy, the Curator copy (which you also have) and the Pacific Coast copy. So your description should read "tied with two other copies".

A remarkable concept that was created to compete with Marvel’s Fantastic Four, the Doom Patrol ended up being a template for the X-Men!

As for the thought that the Doom Patrol copied the X-Men, that is a reverse truth. If you check your history you will find that DC published this historic issue with a June 1963 disribution date, and Marvel releasing the X-Men #1 three months later in September.

So while X-Men was the first to the screen the Doom Patrol were created and established first.

An amazing coincidence? A wheelchair bound but genius leader assembles a group of freaks with extroidinary powers, dedicated to saving mankind and yet being distrusted. No coincidence at all.

Interestingly, an X-Men #1 in 9.6 has already broken the $100,000.00 barrier while My Greatest Adventure #80 has yet to break 10k. Obviously this book has lots of room for growth.

oh my god i think i need to knock over a liquor store...

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I`ve noticed you`ve become quite the Doom Patrol collector all of a sudden. Truly one of the most undervalued DC titles. I picked up some of the Western Penn DP MGAs (unfortunately not the 80) a couple of years ago for almost nothing.

the similarities between Doom Patrol and XMen are striking, and maybe not an accident. But thats about ALL these 2 book shave in common. XMen#1 will be a Million $$ book before MGA80 hit sthat magical 10K mark. Is that fair? nope. But reality rarely is. They just aint making new DP fans anymore..

oh my god i think i need to knock over a liquor store...

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Problem is all the ones in Charlotte recognize you.

better knock over a few in Monroe

XMen#1 will be a Million $$ book before MGA80 hit sthat magical 10K mark. Is that fair? nope. But reality rarely is. They just aint making new DP fans anymore..

I don't think it's just that. I think it's the relative abundance of 9.6 copies of MGA 80 that's keeping the price down. Three 9.6 copies of a 1964 DC key is absolutely remarkable and unfortunately suppresses demand from collectors such as myself. I've long wanted a MGA 80, particularly the Curator copy on Mark's site, but I won't pay a premium price for it in light of the number of 9.6 copies that exist. In contrast, I was happy to pick up the 9.6 Western Penn copy of MGA 81 when it came up on Heritage a couple of years ago because it only went for 3X Guide.

I`ve noticed you`ve become quite the Doom Patrol collector all of a sudden. Truly one of the most undervalued DC titles. I picked up some of the Western Penn DP MGAs (unfortunately not the 80) a couple of years ago for almost nothing.

the first rule about Doom Patrol Collecting Club is you don't talk about Doom Patrol Collecting.

it's a chrappy title that no one should have any interest in whatsover sumo.gif

XMen#1 will be a Million $$ book before MGA80 hit sthat magical 10K mark. Is that fair? nope. But reality rarely is. They just aint making new DP fans anymore..

I don't think it's just that. I think it's the relative abundance of 9.6 copies of MGA 80 that's keeping the price down. Three 9.6 copies of a 1964 DC key is absolutely remarkable and unfortunately suppresses demand from collectors such as myself. I've long wanted a MGA 80, particularly the Curator copy on Mark's site, but I won't pay a premium price for it in light of the number of 9.6 copies that exist. In contrast, I was happy to pick up the 9.6 Western Penn copy of MGA 81 when it came up on Heritage a couple of years ago because it only went for 3X Guide.

Just some food for thought regarding how rare the books are in high grade.....

X-Men #1 - 2 copies in 9.8, 1 9.6, 3 at 9.4, and 12 in 9.2 - (Total of 18 in 9.2 or higher)

My Greatest Adv #80 - 0 in 9.8, 3 in 9.6, 0 in 9.4, 1 in 9.2 - (Total of 4 in 9.2 or higher)

And still over 100k was paid for an X-men #1 even though two copies rated higher.

Obviously the Doom Patrol are not as popular as the X-men but the books they are far more rare in NM and this does not change with the later issues.

With the Doom Patrol future success, everything will be determined on how DC creates the new Doom Patrol movie. If they take their time and develop the -script well, create a connnection between the characters and audience, pick the actors that fit well and are believable, well, then the series will take off and bring in several new collectors searching for the back issues.

Notice that I did not talk about great special effects. This is because comic character movies have been leaning too heavily on this portion of the project, thinking that special effects alone can win over the crowd. As we have seen, this is no longer possible. A well written -script, top notch directing, and superb acting are more vital than ever.

Regardless, I have always liked the Doom Patrol series based on my childhood collecting. They were one of the first series I collected and I enjoyed the series. So I have always tried to pick up NM copies when they came available and not because of a potential movie. I picked up the Pacific Coast run back in 2001 and have had a very hard time filling in the holes since. But I am hopeful I will complete the run this year as I am currently trying to hammer out a deal for some of the missing Pacific Coasts and a few others.

Mark, do you know the whereabouts of the PC MGA 80?

By the way, I agree with your post! thumbsup2.gif

From my knowledge Guy (thedongerneedsfeedin) had a few of the PC Doom patrols, but he sold those as part of his sell-off on the bay at the end of last year. Don't recall any MGA's. But someone must have them tucked away somewhere.

I must say that the Doom Patrol series is one DC's most underrated series. The DP was DC's attempt to jump on the Fantastic Four bandwagon. Character's bickering with each other threatening to breakup.

This series is very rare in high-grade -- in particular the MGA issues. I was fortunate enough about to grab the entire MASS pedigree run of these books about 10 years ago -- the brightest gem in my collection.