• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Examples where CGC Grading had NO effect on the sale price

10 posts in this topic

I'm not even suggesting that for NM or higher books CGC doesn't affect the grade, because it most certainly does.

However, for Golden Age non key books, CGC grading has very little effect that I've noticed.

Example: Zip Comics #10, VG 4.0, Non CGC'd - $176.50 ending price

Now, the seller sent this off to CGC, and it came back exactly a VG.

Same selling price exactly, of $176.50

Zip Comics #10, CGC VG 4.0, $176.50 ending price

Thoughts?

i think it has almost no effect because those books will be popped out and read. A lot of collectors don't care about the case in that grade range, especially non-key, because to them its just like any other comic, the bag is just harder to get open....

I actually had a tougher time sellig GA books in a slab, than raw. My raw Sensations did amazingly well in auction -- always meeting guide, and several times, they went for way over guide. But slabbed WW's didn't move, even if priced well below guide. This includes the pedigree.

Bonds, I totally agree with you. However, let's examine the aforementioned reference.

The seller hoped it may be a VG+ or higher, so he paid let's say $40 with shipping to get it graded. Now, I've paid him via Paypal, so he lost about $50 with EBAY & Paypal fees, which is almost 1/3 of the books value.

So, here's my theory on golden age CGC:

1. If it's a key or a pedigree or high grade, get it slabbed.

2. Non-key, mid to low grade, leave raw.

3. Very hard to find books, leave raw no matter what, as the purple label will hurt you. Example: I saw an Archie #2 with archival tape reinforcing the staple sell for $995. Had that been graded as a Apparent (VG) Minor (P) I doubt it'd have gone that high.

By the way, I won the 2nd auction... cool.gif

I think a lot of people buy non-CGC books in the hope that they're undergraded, and they can send them to CGC and get a higher grade.

Maybe a higher percentage of GA collectors are "old school" readers/fans and the slab concept is a hinderance... not a bonus.

Dunno. I'm 29, and I read all of my books. I think you have to have a mixture of speculation and the ability to 'flip' books now and then in order to get more books. Nothing wrong with putting on your business face if it means expanding your collection....

Having said that, I know what books not to handle as well; like my CGC Fine + copy of Pep #1. That's more of a blue chip book, and I'd never crack it open, you know? But I did read it before I submitted it....

Great thread, people! So at what point would you say a GA, non-key would fetch a higher price if slabbed? I have several Wonder Womans in the 15 - 20 issue # range, and they're in VF-, VF and VF+, in my opinion... I was considering getting them all slabbed - I'm confident (but not certain smile.gif that they're not restored...

Are these still too "low grade" to be worth slabbing? I don't wanna spend $50 each to slab 'em if it's not going to result in them selling for $50 more, and if the buyers are simply going to crack the slabs to read 'em...

As a golden age collector, if I buy a VG book, I want to read it. That's one of the great benefits of VG. Read a $10,000 NM book and accidentally ding the cover, you have a $3,000 VG book. Read a $1,000 VG book and accidentally ding the cover, you still have a $1,000 VG book. The plastic coffin is actually a hindrance in that case. For high end, high grade books, slabbing is still an option.