• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 66: Please grade me

13 posts in this topic

Well, hopefully you payed a lot less than 9.0 VF/NM for this issue. Based on the corners, the spine stresses (with colorbreaks), wrinkle on the front cover, pen mark on the back, and the slight ink spot on the inside front... I'm going to guess between a 6.0-6.5. I know that might be a little low, and the overall condition of this issue IS nice. Just a number of little things here. You might be able to go with a 7.0, but I don't know if I'd grade it any higher.

I'll be honest, I'm finding more success with buying here on the boards than on eBay. If things keep up the way they have, I might start looking to fellow members than gambling with my money over there. Still, it's a nice issue you've got there, and a great cover. Hopefully you still made out okay.

7.0 seems very optimistic considering the big crunch at the bottom of the book and the issue at the staple. I'm thinking 4.0. Sorry.

For the record, it wouldn't look out of place in my collection.

I've been told/sold this book as a 9.0, but I need you guys to grade this as it is not that in my eyes...thanks

There is damage at the top-middle of the book that is pressed through the back.

spiderman-66_frontcover.jpg

spiderman-66_backcover.jpg

spiderman-66-frontinside.jpg

spiderman-66-1stpage.jpg

I'd say FN (6.0) with off-white paper.

Well, too be fair, I DID say that I would most likely grade it at 6.0-6.5. Depending on what purposes your grading the comic, you could possibly fudge a 7.0 (i.e. cataloging for insurance purposes wink.gif ) and so long as you're not looking to sell.

Do you mind divulging your purchase price?

I normally don't make extra comments when grading comics due to the "sensitivityfactor" I seem to keep encountering

BUT I cannot be silent on this one.

This Buyer here got HOSED. I do not care about the $29.95 or whatever - the comic was advertised as a VF/NM 9.0 and all who have posted on this Thread apparently( no Pun intended) agree that this comment cannt EVER be a VF/NM 9.0.

My grade: VG/F 5.0 TOPS.

But my point is is it is Sellers like this who have given the comics hobby a "stigma" and/or bad name.

Many newbies in the comics hobby spend far more than what they should in the beginning - then they soon realize how tough it is to just "break even" in the probable event that they need to raise some quick cash, thus they decide to "overgrade" and find another comic buyer to "pay" for their mistakes. I have seen this for more YEARS than I want to admit to.

Sad sad sad.

CAL frown.gif

Ck1, you'd probably be better off buying a copy here on the boards. You might end up paying more than $29.99, but you're risk factor will reduced significantly since you're actually buying from people who collect.

Downside of ebay is while you can sometimes come out way ahead, you can also get skunked. At least you didn't pay more than the comic is worth by OS, so it could have been worse (not that it makes what that *spoon* of a seller did ok).

I would grade this no better than 5.0, at the very most. It has bad corners, a big impact on the lower center of the cover, and a very significan't scrape along the upper spine, plus other minor defects. It does have pretty good eye appeal, and it appears to have nice white color and good page quality.