• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1 CGC 8.5 Blue...$3,770.22

82 posts in this topic

Hey Shuley, I see you are a fellow angler. We've got the meanest, fastest, best fightin Mako's (typically up to 250 lb), Tuna & Striped Marlin out here (east end of Catalina Island!). Loads of fun. Sold my 25 Skipjack Flybridge a few years ago after logging 1,000 hours & haven't been off-shore in a while (been collecting COMICS!!!), aside from a salmon run off Santa Barbara coast (200-foot line) using downriggers in a workmate's Boston Whaler 21. Popped one 25 lb Chinook, that's it besides a lot of puddle hopping out on lakes in the area for trout & various other freshwater minnows.

All the cream of the crop. Curiously, why no Hulk 1-6, DD 1 & 7, Spiderman 2, 6 , & Annual 1, TOS 39, and X-men 4 & 5 on the list. Is it due to sufficient inventory on these listed above or based on the above having lesser demand than the 'Priority A' list you mentioned?

Just typed off the top of my head. Reasoning on some of the others.

While the Hulk movie has opened up requests for this title again I wasn't asked for any of the issues in over a year in high grade. Overstreet took this title so high in guide that people just got tired of seeing the prices jump.

Hulk 1 -

2 - Tough issue

3 - Tough

4/5 - Common of the series, lame covers

6 - Ugliest and most overrated of the series, Just call me The Incredible Stumpy, Teen brigade? Oh brother, Ditko didn't make the Hulk look that good.

DD 1 - Not a good time to be trying to buy this issu

DD 7 - Should have been on my list

Spiderman 2 - Not one of my favorites, I've had them in high grade.

Spiderman 6 - The hardest early spidey to sell on Ebay

Spiderman Annual 1 - Best annual, Best cast of villians, Should have been on my list

TOS 39 - Again a ugly cover, never looks great and I've seen the 9.6 copy. Iron Man has a very weak cast of villans, they melt him, they freeze him, he drinks, he dies, etc. And how many times do they have to bring in the Mandarin. A good issue should translate into a good TV cartoon series. Iron Man was the worst of the bunch even though the art was good.

X-men 4 - I tend to find this book

X-men 5 - should have been on the list though I like #12 a lot better in terms of being requested at shows or want lists.

What?! Spidey #6 is harder to sell than 8-10? That's horrible. tongue.gif

What about Strange Tales Annual #2 - are you guys all forgeting about that?

Incredibly tough in grade - much tougher than Spidey Annual #1 (and a year earlier - came out the same time as Spidey #3).

And no one has mentioned Astonish #44 - what do you guys have bins overflowing

with high grade copies of this issue or something?

Send one my way, I've got the Bethleham (a 9.2) but would trade it and some cash

for a 9.4

Sean

Just sold a CGC 9.2 with offwhite pages Strange Tales Annual #2.

Tales to Astonish #44 is a unique issue, tough to get but when I do have one you have to remind somebody that it's tough. Doesn't command the same toughness as the DD #7 blue cover, TOS #52 blue cover etc. Wasp isn't exactly jumping off the charts as a "key". She reminds me of Lois Lane and I've always questioned Showcase #9 as a "Key", more like a a tough book to get in high grade but exactly what super power does Lois Lane possess? Some hidden power that Julie Schwartz didn't let us in on?

Strange Tales #102-115, again a title that is generally geographic in nature, ST #101 dead and buried, 102 - 1st Wizard, 103 good cover, 104 - Paste Pot Pete, 105 another good cover. Sorry but while Jack may have been doing the art I think Ayers did more it than is revealed. 107 great battle issue, excellent cover and I have had a good number in high grade. 108-109 don't make my heart skip a beat and 110 should have been a Doctor Strange cover. 111 is extremely tough, 112-113 (Plantman I believe), 114 has a ok cover, 115 to me is a great cover but once Overstreet hyped it in the gallery it died a slow death.

Interesting but I'd swear that architect has put in a potty mouth prevention feature. It changes D**k to something else. Hmmmmm

i agree, 107 is a classic kirby battle cover, one of his best if not his best...so simple and suttle, STT 110 should've been a dr.strange cover, but i think that marvel thought they would sell more copies if torch was on the cover instead of some unknown. what do you mean about STT 115 dying a slow death after overstreet hyped it...i've always loved that issue, not to mention the 2nd appearence of a spidey supervillian sandman. sort of like TOS 58 2nd appearence of kraven the hunter.

Hey Bob,

if you don't mind - what kind of price did the Strange tales bring?

I sold Bachara one in 9.2 awhile back for $1300, as I didn't really think

it was a 9.2 and haven't been able to find another nice one.

Sean

What the?? Iron man with a weak cast of villians! Are you insane? Did you forget Suspense 40 where he fights Gargantus or 42 or 43 where he fights the Red Barbarian ? Just the very idea of the Golden Avenger fighting the Marvel scarecrow gives me goose bumps! But seriously, he does have some great villians - Mandarin, Titanium Man and Crimson Dynamo are some of the best around! And how about the Freak? And how about that spiffy green robot on the cover of Iron man #2? Now we're talking villians with a capital Super!