• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1 CGC 8.5 Blue...$3,770.22

82 posts in this topic

A SOLID and attractive 8.5 to boot! Top bid: $3,770.22 (reserve unmet). STILL not enough of a bargain for at least a $4000 bid (about $1500 less than 8.5s were being bid up to in the past 3 weeks).

Auction #725032509

It's almost always true that there are great buys to be had after a major event.

Perhaps the plan for the next Heritage auction is to sell some stuff through Heritage then immediately turn around and rebuy at a profit...

Or just sit around and gripe about it like Chicken Little... that's always a plan too... tongue.gif

Not a bad green at all, as far as X-Men 1's go! I've seen 9.0s and better that were much lighter green in color. If you want to see some brutally ugly colors on an X-Men 1, take a gander at THIS WildeBeast:

web page

That book on comiclink(x-men 1 cgc 6.0) Josh said that the ink did not catch...lol. first of all,It's the red ink on the first page on the cover,it could be from a few things...dirty blanket,the blanket that is being used when the press is running is so piled with ink and paper dust that it needs to be washed cause it's printing like Sh*t,yes it can get piled up so bad that ink is not transfering to the paper.Or it could be a bad red plate and it need to be made over,or it could be some plate cleaner that someone sprayed on there,If i was there in 1963, I could tell ya what was wrong but hey, im not watching the press. (printing inside joke,all pressmen need to keep an eye on the press) Kev

Market analysis and mentioning the details of a particular auction is far from "griping".

For the selectively blind, who withold sane commentary, also selectively dependent upon WHO they are responding to, here's a dramatization of the difference:

Griping and complaining: Oh drat! What am I going to do? I've had it! I've had it! The market is falling and I'm getting out while the getting's good. Look everyone. Do ya' see? Do ya' see what's happening? What are we going to do? Help!!! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPaaa! WHY does this have to be happening? Why me???

Dissecting an auction: An X-men 1 in CGC 8.5 blue only garnered bids as high as $3770 + change. I guess the bidders didn't feel that it was enough of a bargain because in the past 3 weeks, others of comparable quality have been bid up $1500 higher.

A HUGE difference in interpretation between the two.

Kevin, what the heck happened on that FF variation with the green Thing, from a printing standpoint? Any ideas? Any ideas on what proportion of CORRECT versions there are vs. the Green Thing version? Certain combinations of colors simply appeared to be reversed, but perfectly, unlike the X-men 1's color woes just discussed.

WHOA, with the grades I've been on the receiving end of lately (all on very nice early Silver material) and this gets a 6.0!!!!! mad.gif (steam coming out of my ears!)

I don't suppose the owner of Comic-Linlk received this grade, did he? Think this had anything to do with this grade assignment? laugh.gif

My assessment here: That book should have scored no better than a VG+. It's over-graded books like this that in the long run will do more harm to this hobby than anything!

Just giving you a hard time, Meth... "Sky is falling" rhetoric aside, you could hardly be called 'Little'... tongue.gif

And I do think there is a difference between a closed sale and a book that did not meet reserve. I bid far more agressively on books that I know I have a chance to win than on those that may have a ridiculous reserve. There is only so much free time to spend staring at auctions, and I hate spending it on auctions I was never going to win anyway because the seller was smoking the good stuff. In a no reserve situation that book may very well have reached $4500-5000.

I am not surprised there is a dip in prices realized post-Heritage. But I don't believe it is a sign of a big crash. And I know you and I both hope I am right, whether we agree on the leading indicators or not...

Certain combinations of colors simply appeared to be reversed, but perfectly, unlike the X-men 1's color woes just discussed.

Meth, Let me explain how printing colors work,and some of this you learned in K school, When a press is printing all colors,they only use 4 colors,you can make any color imaginable using these 4 colors.First black,blue,red and yellow in that order,everything that has black is printed,everything that has blue is printed,everything that has red in it is printed and everything that has yellow in it is printed.Now to answer your question above.When printing RED,there is yellow in it.since green is made up of blue and yellow, but yet you see blue inside the green,that is becuase the yellow is missing from the blue,when you see yellow inside red (x-men #1 on CL) that is because the red is missing,Ink comes from a fountain and is transfered to form rollers to the plate and to the blanket and from the blanket to the paper,Sometimes the Ink runs out of the fountain and since the press is still running,once all the red ink is gone in the fountain,it won't print that color ink onto the paper and since yellow is in the red everything that is red will be yellow.Put it this way the X-MEN logo is RED,ink runs out X-men logo is now all in yellow.When that happens,books get throw out before they get shipped to your comic store,but once in a while some get out..NO! it doesn't make it more valueable to all those who think they have a varation or some one of a kind error. Kevin

since when can you grade a comic just by looking at the cover in a small scan? who's to say your grading is more accurate than CGC's? i don't see you filling out the application to work at cgc.if you can grade a comic accurately from a small scan in a CGC holder,then you should have steve borock's job

Kevin,it's FF110. Anyone here have the color variation to post?

On the variation, the Thing is Green, the same green as Agatha Harkness' outfit, and her outfit is the same Orange as the Thing. The orange/red energy field that Reed is floating in is a slightly different value of that green, as well as the Storms' faces. Also, the blue of the FF outfits are magenta, the same color reversals as noted also in the MCG box. I believe that the only unaffected colors were the yellows, Blacks and whites. Here's a NORMAL example of the cover:

web page

since when can you grade a comic just by looking at the cover in a small scan?

By enhancing, enlarging & sharpening up the image. It can be difficult to do, I agree, but in this case it appears pretty obvious. Unless I need glasses to repair my 20-20 vision. laugh.gif

who's to say your grading is more accurate than CGC's?

I don't believe it's a matter of accuracy in grading than more of an objective call from an obviously defective (faded & patchy looking) cover. I'm managed to pre-grade approximately 80% of my books within .5 of CGC's. The remaining 20% are all over the place. Not bad statistically. Half of these are pre-graded lower than what CGC gives me with some exceptions. Especially recent arrivals, I'm way off on these crazy.gif

i don't see you filling out the application to work at cgc.if you can grade a comic accurately from a small scan in a CGC holder,then you should have steve borock's job

No thanks! I'll stick to my profession & pay them (or anyone else who wants to step up to the plate & deal with comic book fanatics on a daily basis) if I want to encapsulate any more of my books, which I may build up the confidence to do again here at some point. Still recovering from a dose of 6.0's! tongue.gif But, on the other hand, who's to say, I'm just an average Joe collector who's amassed a large collection, have a good eye, and try to match what the only outfit that slabs comics does professionally. And they do a good job overall, with a few exceptions, like the X-Men #1 6.0 on this thread. cool.gif

Supa, How do you like the green on THIS copy? Paradoxically, THIS unslabbed #1, which is closer to a FN+ from the OPPOSITE end of the scale than FN+/NM, as described, has already gotten bids OVER $4000??????? On the same day that a SHARP CGCed 8.5 UNrestored didn't even reach $4000?

web page

No offense to all complaining but I would pay a lot more than $3770 for this X-Men #1. If any of you are having trouble sleeping at night with your comic books please sell me some of the below books at wholesale prices.

I need the following in 9.0 or better, no cream pages please:

AS #3, 4, 5, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 23, 28

FF #1, 5, 12, 13-17, 20, 25, 26, 28

JIM #83-99

TOS #40-58

X-Men #1, 6, 7, 11, 12

Check book is open - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$