• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Character Defining Moments in the Marvel Universe - Choose One

11 posts in this topic

What do you think gave one of your favorite characters a unique distinction in good or bad whatever it may be that seperates them from so many else, whether it was a decision they made or a sacrifice they had to make: Try and keep it Copper Age related though.

I'll Start Here:

Amazing Spider-Man 325 - Assassination Plot Part 5 - After the US government didn't allow Spider-Man to take part in the mission with Captain America and Silver Sable simply because no one knew his secret identity and they threw at him the fact that he may not even be American. Well we know spidey and he went anyway infiltrated the base of operations just to find out that the mastermind behind this all was the Red Skull. After disposing of most of his minions, the red skull opened a brief case and offered Spider-man 1 million dollars just to forget what he saw and walk away. For just the briefest second he thought about it seeing as his own country had cast him off and he on this day as many most had a tonne of reasons that he needed the money but slammed the case in the Red Skull's face keeping it real and therefore proving above all else that he was as Loyal as it gets. One of the most distinctive points in his copper career I'd have to say.

Anyone got any others? confused-smiley-013.gif

For me, the opening lines of the Wolverine miniseries in 1982 were one of the most memorable of the copper age. "I'm the best there is at what I do. And what I do...isn't very nice." Wolverine had been around for about 60 issues of Uncanny X-Men by that time but it was those lines, and that four-part series, that defined Wolverine for me from that time forward.

Ok... the one that sticks out for me is actually from the Bronze Age, so be warned... this is a little OT.

Anyhow, flashback to ASM 122, the last couple panels. Gweny Stacey has been killed, Green Goblin is dead, and Peter Parker is back in his apartment crushed. MJ shows up, and when Peter tells her to leave because "that's what [she's] good at," MJ closes the door staying put. For me, this was took her from being the party/ pretty girl to being a more serious person in Spider-Man's life.

Sorry for stepping back an age on this one, but I think it still fits confused-smiley-013.gif

Ok... the one that sticks out for me is actually from the Bronze Age, so be warned... this is a little OT.

Anyhow, flashback to ASM 122, the last couple panels. Gweny Stacey has been killed, Green Goblin is dead, and Peter Parker is back in his apartment crushed. MJ shows up, and when Peter tells her to leave because "that's what [she's] good at," MJ closes the door staying put. For me, this was took her from being the party/ pretty girl to being a more serious person in Spider-Man's life.

Sorry for stepping back an age on this one, but I think it still fits confused-smiley-013.gif

Hell no don't apologize. Nice to see you contribute your thoughts and good ones at that.

GreenGoblinASM122.gif

whyyoumj12.jpg

WhyYouMaryJanePart2B.jpg

Again, I have to go with Captain America 254. When Cap bashes Baron Blood's head with his shield. He didn't want to kill him, but knew it was the only way to stop him.

Also, Storm fighting Callisto to take control of the Morlocks during the Mutant Massacre storyline.

One that always sticks out to me, and always will....In issue # 4, ( or possibly #3, it has been awhile) of "The Thing", the Inhuman/Lockjaw storyline , written by John Byrne, art by IIRC, Rampagin' Ron Wilson....and I hate to spoil it for anyone who has not read it. Very defining moment at the end of the issue...check it out.

Regards,

thumbsup2.gif

Bump

I remember being absolutely floored by the Masters of Evil assault on Avengers Mansion around issue 275. I thought it was well scripted, full of action, and moving from the standpoint that long-standing supporting characters were severely hurt. I thought it defined the concept of the Avengers being more than a team and more like a family. Now that I mention it, I need to dig those out!!

--Sean.