• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I unslab this? ....(and if you want to guess the grade that's ok too)

28 posts in this topic

Just got this one. No cheating and looking at the CGC census, as it may be the only graded copy.

Two parter for you all:

1. Guess the grade

2. Should I pull this out? Dying to read it!

High res front and back scans provided (although they're a tad dark)

pep16-front.jpg

pep16-back.jpg

I am guessing a 7.5-8.0.

But Shield - you really got yourself in a pickle! This is tough. Origin of Madame Satan? Who wouldn't want to read it????

But you should not be STTS (Slave To The Slab)!!! It be your book. You know how to care for books and how to treat them. So, if you really want to read this one, I say treat yourself and read it!

Then either get it reslabbed or just store it carefully and enjoy it from time to time. Should the time come you feel you should permanently encapsulate it - or sell it - then have it slabbed again. It will probably be a lot cheaper than trying to find a reader copy!

Technically it should go into the Grading and Restoration Forum - it is where all the "Grade This" type posts go. But your plea regarding should you unslab it kind of makes it a mixed bag. Think it is fine here but next time...... 893naughty-thumb.gifgrin.gif

I am guessing a 7.5-8.0.

But Shield - you really got yourself in a pickle! This is tough. Origin of Madame Satan? Who wouldn't want to read it????

But you should not be STTS (Slave To The Slab)!!! It be your book. You know how to care for books and how to treat them. So, if you really want to read this one, I say treat yourself and read it!

Then either get it reslabbed or just store it carefully and enjoy it from time to time. Should the time come you feel you should permanently encapsulate it - or sell it - then have it slabbed again. It will probably be a lot cheaper than trying to find a reader copy!

I know! You've summed up my sentiments exactly...! I have a CGC VF Pep #15 that I've never read either! What's "too high grade" to crack the slab on? Obviously any books you feel were slightly overgraded, but?

Someday I may flip out and unslab all my books. Seriously. These are just comics! Sure, they're expensive, but I've built up a pretty solid EBAY feedback, and if I ever need to sell it, and I disclose that I opened it and include the scans of the label...????

You know I'm leaning on opening it!

Here's a "tease" of Madame Satan from Pep Comics #18!

pep18_48.jpg

Technically it should go into the Grading and Restoration Forum - it is where all the "Grade This" type posts go. But your plea regarding should you unslab it kind of makes it a mixed bag. Think it is fine here but next time...... 893naughty-thumb.gifgrin.gif

I changed the main title of the thread.... grin.gif

What's "too high grade" to crack the slab on? Obviously any books you feel were slightly overgraded, but?

Stop being the STTS!!!! grin.gif

I had a THING 16 NM- 9.2 - now granted this is the single most common Thing comic due to a warehouse find. But I will tell you I am glad I cracked it. It looked literally 100% nicer out of the slab. And read some fine stories. But that is just me. Bottom line? You have to follow your heart.

::fadeout to Pov and Madam Satan linked arm in arm, walking into a very red sunset::

What's "too high grade" to crack the slab on? Obviously any books you feel were slightly overgraded, but?

Stop being the STTS!!!! grin.gif

I had a THING 16 NM- 9.2 - now granted this is the single most common Thing comic due to a warehouse find. But I will tell you I am glad I cracked it. It looked literally 100% nicer out of the slab. And read some fine stories. But that is just me. Bottom line? You have to follow your heart.

::fadeout to Pov and Madam Satan linked arm in arm, walking into a very red sunset::

I know, I know, I know. You're right. I guess I'm just paranoid.

The book was graded a CGC Fine/Very Fine 7.0 with cream to off-white pages. It looks as nice as any golden age VF that I've seen in person.

You know something POV? Guess what strip replaced Madame Satan in Pep Comics #22? You guessed it. Archie.

A quick plug for Shield's website... I've been checking it out for at least 8 months now, and it just gets better... where else on the Web can you read Archie's first appearance in its entirety? (That Betty was super hot in the early days wink.gif

Shield, I say crack the slab and have at it...! Frankly, it shouldn't get a lower grade if you were ever to re-submit it; they just keep getting kinder to early GA books, IMO.

Question: If you deliberately crack the slab, as opposed to the slab being damaged somehow, is the book in question still eligible for re-slabbing at the reduced fee?