• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Quick Q's About the Registry

11 posts in this topic

1. Any plans to up the size limit for images? I have yet to find a good quality level at that size. What about the ability to host our own images if there are no plans to up the size limit?

2. How about a printable view for the "Inventory Detail" view for a set?

1. They actually did up the limit from 100kb to 120kb with the latest 3.0 CS upgrade. I agree though the pics are still small...they are more than likely doing this based on available bandwidth and storage available to them.

2. This has been requested before during the break/fix period of CS 3.0, and it looks like that request fell through the cracks. I think it's a valuable feature...at least they do have a new feature to put it in "image view" to see thumbs of all the books (although you can't print). I'd respectively add that if they do add this feature it should only be available to the owner (although anyone with any web skills could simply harvest the cached files).

Thanks for the info Sterling. I wish they would up the image size to at least that of board attachments or let us host our own. I guess user image hosting may provide too much content hazard/control issues.

The image size allowed is crazy and last century, in my respectful opinion. I have over 1,000 scans that I would happily add to my Registry sets but they average around 265 kb each - not hi-res but just standard 96 resolution standard web-size images. Could we ask the Registry Manager what is the problem in having scans of a reasonable size, please?

200% agree especially with the fact that if 2 people have identical runs in a set they take into consideration the fact that if one person has more scans added in then they get top slot. My scans are all 250-400 or so and I can re-image them with certain programs but it takes away from the book itself with a less than perfect scan.

I was thinking the same thing about image sizes, so searched and found this thread.

120K is too small! Give us 500! :)

Anyone got any good tips on how to achieve a large, good looking image in only 120K?

The image size allowed is crazy and last century, in my respectful opinion. I have over 1,000 scans that I would happily add to my Registry sets but they average around 265 kb each - not hi-res but just standard 96 resolution standard web-size images. Could we ask the Registry Manager what is the problem in having scans of a reasonable size, please?

This is a pretty common misconception, but image resolution is irrelevant for images displayed on a computer screen - a pixel is a pixel is a pixel and it's size is only relative to the monitor size and the actual monitor resolution.

So when you talk about a 72 dpi resolution (or 96 dpi, which is the defacto PC standard), you are really discussing at what size the computer prints the image, not at what size the monitor displays it.

An image that's 1000 pixels wide and 1000 pixels tall at 72 dpi will be the exact same size on your computer monitor as an image that's 1000 pixels wide and 1000 pixels tall at 300 dpi.

But I digress ... and I completely agree with the allocated image filesize being too small :)

I was thinking the same thing about image sizes, so searched and found this thread.

120K is too small! Give us 500! :)

Anyone got any good tips on how to achieve a large, good looking image in only 120K?

Resize to 500px (width) X ???px (height), and use Photoshop's "save for web"-command. Pick a JPG-compression around 60-70%, and you end up with better looking photos than CGC's own scans.

That's too many hoops to jump through even for computer-savvy people. :P (I don't have Photoshop. I use the scanning software and Irfanview.) I agree with the request to up the minimum size.

Ehmm ... you do two things - resize the image, and save the image. How is that "too many hoops"?