• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Detective 168

32 posts in this topic

pretty nice looking vgish copy (might get a 4.5)...3 little tears to right edge?, minor chip back cover middle...a copy you should be proud to own! really nice registration...

gator

I'd return it - it doesn't look any better than the 5.5 on their site now. - and if memory serves Metro charges a premium for GA over 6.0 (I'm guessing this was around $1800).

Your enjoyment of the book may be tainted by the knowledge it was overgraded.

Except for the chip I would give it at least a 5.5. According to Overstreet Grading Guide (3rd Ed.), the highest grade that allows for missing pieces is VG+ 4.5 (1/8" triangle, 1/16" square). Nice looking book overall.

Except for the chip I would give it at least a 5.5. According to Overstreet Grading Guide (3rd Ed.), the highest grade that allows for missing pieces is VG+ 4.5 (1/8" triangle, 1/16" square). Nice looking book overall.

That is not correct, I have a 6.0 missing a cover corner. I have another 6.0 with missing pieces on the back cover.

That is not correct, I have a 6.0 missing a cover corner. I have another 6.0 with missing pieces on the back cover.

true...I think we tec collectors all remember the TEC 38 that got an 8.0 missing a small triangle corner off top right edge!...CGC grades the book on overall structure, right?, deducting for defects....if overall, a book is a 8.0, and you have one small corner off, they have obviously graded in the 6.0 range (as greg can attest)...

our opinions are our own opinions...it is nice when we all arrive at a concensus, but ultimately, a # grade only matters, if it matters to the owner, based on whatever criteria the owner of the book has (and everyone is different) smile.gif...what matters is, if the owner is comfortable paying the price for a book in the condition it is in...just my 2 cents worth...

gator

what matters is, if the owner is comfortable paying the price for a book in the condition it is in...just my 2 cents worth...

gator

thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

add

the condition it is REALLY in

and say it twice

shy.gif

IS THIS YOUR CARD?

stooges.gif

6.5 tonofbricks.gif

Do you think I should return it?? Just keep it and it will eventually be worth as much or more than I paid??

That's what they are counting on.

Metro gets away with overgrading/overpricing because many collectors will simply settle and keep a tough book once it's in-hand.

I had a real tough time returning a grossly overgraded Action 43 last year, but I did it because the feeling that I got taken would have always been attached to the book.

I had a real tough time returning a grossly overgraded Action 43 last year,

I remember that book, as I also returned it to Metro once I had received it,.. 6.0 they said, which the book was more like a 4.5 with a corner piece reattaced with tape,.. however, the brittle pages made the book a 2.0 IMO.

but I will say that I didn't have ANY problems returning the book to Metro. sorry to hear that you did Steve.