• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't-Tell-The-Wife Productions proudly presents...

19 posts in this topic

...this. angel.gif

My GA grail of the last 3-4 years...

superman3.jpg

With thanks to Silveracre Comics for this one. Can't believe it! yay.gif

After several years of actively looking for a copy, I'd definitely say that #3 is one of the toughest early issues of Superman to come by (esp. on a budget, obviously). I've seen "reasonably presentable" Fair to Good copies under $1K come around probably no more than once a year. Heritage just auctioned an incomplete #3 with 1/3 of the logo chewed off and it still finished over $400. This is a beater for sure, but the page quality is decent and the cover colors are really nice.

The earliest Siegel & Shuster Supermans & Actions really hit the sweet spot for me...just something so pure and raw about them...and this is one of my favorite early Joe Shuster covers. Don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at this one. cloud9.gif

--Jon hi.gif

1802110-superman3sm.jpg.00f1772d41a6757e287414a7416f5a95.jpg

...this. angel.gif

My GA grail of the last 3-4 years...

superman3.jpg

With thanks to Silveracre Comics for this one. Can't believe it! yay.gif

After several years of actively looking for a copy, I'd definitely say that #3 is one of the toughest early issues of Superman to come by (esp. on a budget, obviously). I've seen "reasonably presentable" Fair to Good copies under $1K come around probably no more than once a year. Heritage just auctioned an incomplete #3 with 1/3 of the logo chewed off and it still finished over $400. This is a beater for sure, but the page quality is decent and the cover colors are really nice.

The earliest Siegel & Shuster Supermans & Actions really hit the sweet spot for me...just something so pure and raw about them...and this is one of my favorite early Joe Shuster covers. Don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at this one. cloud9.gif

--Jon hi.gif

I think #'s 3-6 & 9 all have that same flavor.

Number 9 is the first Golden Age comic I ever owned. cloud9.gif

Congrats....I can barely wait until you do a group photo with Superman 1-20 all in Fair to Good.....it's going to be a collection to envy and enjoy. I want a turn reading it.

Funny titled thread for a terrific book. What is the "Gigantic Contest" in the issue?

Congratulations on the acquisition Jon, now.. about that tape... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, I say get that nasty junk off the cover asap.

Ze-

Hey, thanks for the kind words, all!

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I will certainly give my wife the news at some point. The hesitation is mainly that I picked up that pricey ASM #1 just last week, and she's well aware of that purchase. My intuition tells me it's probably a good idea to wait at least a week or two before more such "breaking news". 27_laughing.gif

Yep, point well taken on the tape issue. Problem is, this ish has no back cover, and the tape is attaching the FC to the book itself. Not sure what exactly can be done, but I'll shoot scans to Matt Nelson and ask him to weigh in. This is obviously a book I'll want to last a long time.

Thanks again, troops. thumbsup2.gif

--Jon

(edit: post 5000. How about that!)