• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need information on the Man of Steel raffle edition

20 posts in this topic

I'm trying to gather information on the Man of Steel raffle edition for an article I'm writing. I am trying to learn as much as possible about this DC Comics rarity and need any and all information that anyone has available.

Can anyone shed any light on it for me?

Does anyone have a copy of this comic?

Does anyone have a copy with the letter that came with it?

I hope someone knows a little about this variant trade paperback.

Help!

Mike B. 1807190-manofsteelrafflecover.jpg

1807190-manofsteelrafflecover.jpg.f9ef8e5de08ed3cf25fade7fd4aab3a5.jpg

DC gave me 2 copies back when the mini-series was over. Maybe I won them, but I don't recall winning anything, only that they showed up one day at the office.

I believe I still have 1 left, but it's not for sale. I brought them to 5 Chicago Cons in a row back in the late 90's and no one would even look at it.

My chenistry lab partner won one back in the day. He sent in a small entry form (don't remember where he got it) and one day the book arrived. The book is literally leftover copies of MoS, cover, staples and all, glued into the cover you have posted. I don't remember any letter that came with it but it's been 20 years so I could be forgetting.

From what I understand they didn't give a specific version of #1 in it (remember, there were 2 covers), they just took whatever was on top of the stack. The cool thing is the #1 issue they stuck in my friends was a double cover.

I see him from time to time at cons. The next time I see him I will ask if he still has it.

I've got a copy of my own that has the short note with it saying thanks to the raffle winner's retailer.

This is a cool little rarity. I have owned three and have seen a total of seven sell (including my three). I know Ian Levine's got one, but I'm not sure who bought the others. I keep watching eBay for copies to pop up and haven't seen any in a couple years.

I emailed DC President Paul Levitz at DC Comics and asked him about it and he said he didn't know of any raffle edition ever being produced. The DC Comics Library doesn't have a copy, either.

I know that one copy sold for $750 about three years ago.

Mike B.

I currently own 1 copy, with another to be obtained shortly. Both copies have the letter from DC. I would post a scan, but unfortuately, it is "out of commission" frustrated.gif.

I currently own 1 copy, with another to be obtained shortly. Both copies have the letter from DC. I would post a scan, but unfortuately, it is "out of commission" frustrated.gif.

Sell one and buy a scanner with the profits, cheapass.

I still got a coupon to send in for a free one, one went to fan and the other to retailer - most retailers just kept both or traded the customer for it and DC also sent me one without a letter like they did the Superman 75 platinum and Adventure # 500 platinum. Graham Crackers had one for $250.00 in 2003.

...The book is literally leftover copies of MoS, cover, staples and all, glued into the cover you have posted...

I have one.

I'll have to fish it out of whatever box it's in; though I don't recall it being "leftover copies" slapped together, staples & all...?

I got mine by sending in several entry forms, trying to be tricky with different handwriting, various colored pens -even staggering the mailing dates on them- hoping to get more than 1 copy. Though in hindsight I suppose having the same addresses on all the entries shot that prospect to hel.......................!

How stupid was I?

rhetorical.

Rick

...The book is literally leftover copies of MoS, cover, staples and all, glued into the cover you have posted...

I have one.

I'll have to fish it out of whatever box it's in; though I don't recall it being "leftover copies" slapped together, staples & all...?

I got mine by sending in several entry forms, trying to be tricky with different handwriting, various colored pens -even staggering the mailing dates on them- hoping to get more than 1 copy. Though in hindsight I suppose having the same addresses on all the entries shot that prospect to hel.......................!

How stupid was I?

rhetorical.

Rick

Where did you get the entry forms? Were they inside comics (if so, please let me know which ones, specifically, if you can remember) or did the retailers have them?

All the copies I've seen are the actual comics bound together under one cover (it was glued on).

Mike B.

Oddly enough, the more I think about it, the more I remember.

I only had one entry form -don't know from where- but it said it would accept info on a 3x5 index card. So........I used those.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, yet.

I plan on going through all my boxes for 1 final submission to CGC. When I come across my copy of the contest book, I'll let y'all know !!

Rick

scan the letter

also it was a coupon in Superman # 1 , Action Comics 584 and two other supe titles I don't have handy. Also Jones -I send you my blank Man of Steel redemption coupon to go with your set if you don't have one already

Well, after receiving 2 additional copies this week, I am happy to report 2 different letters exist 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif!!! As soon as my scanner is up and running, I will make my best effort to post them thumbsup2.gif.

Well, after receiving 2 additional copies this week, I am happy to report 2 different letters exist 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif!!! As soon as my scanner is up and running, I will make my best effort to post them thumbsup2.gif.

Actually, there are three different letters. I've got one for the comic shop owner who sold to the raffle winner and another letter given to a wholesale dealer.

Mike B.

DC ran a contest where you had to answer about 30 DCU trivia questions. All the entries with all the correct answers were supposed to be eligible for a drawing to win some big prizes. I think they gave prizes for a lot of entries that didn't have all the answers correct too. I recall that I was able to find answers for all but a few of the questions, so I sent in multiple entries with different combinations of guesses at those few questions. I won a LOT of prizes, so I don't think they limited the prizes to only entries with all correct answers. Most of the prizes I won were 12-month subscriptions to DC titles (DC kept sending a few of the titles for a lot longer than 12 months as it turned out! cloud9.gif) but I also won some prize packages that were foreign language editions of DC comics (I think I got Spanish, French, German and such but that's kinda fuzzy... still got them all somewhere so maybe I'll check on that if I can figure out where they are....). I was thinking that this contest was the same one with the MOS TPB, but I'm starting to reconsider that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I believe the contest I'm describing was from the late 70's and if so couldn't have included the MOS TPB.

Anyway, it was a great contest even if it wasn't where the MOS TPB came from. 27_laughing.gif Anyone remember that contest? I'm pretty sure the trivia questions were printed in full page DCU ads around that timeframe.

I sent in entries for a LOT of family members until I hit the limit on postage my parents would cover for me! 893whatthe.gif It was always a good time when I visited my grandparents and my grandmother would hand me a stack of the comics I won in her and my grandfather's name. She would always say how she figured the mailman thought she and grandpa were a little odd to be getting comic books at their age. 27_laughing.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif