• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC / Marvel Differences.

39 posts in this topic

So my question is...Whats the biggest differences between DC comics and Marvel comics? Same old superhero stuff or not?

Someone once said...

DC is about superheroes who are trying to be human.

Marvel is about humans who are trying to be superheroes.

So my question is...Whats the biggest differences between DC comics and Marvel comics? Same old superhero stuff or not?

Someone once said...

DC is about superheroes who are trying to be human.

Marvel is about humans who are trying to be superheroes.

That's not bad. I thought the JLA/Avengers crossover hit it on the head fairly well too:

The JLA is amazed at how much the MU fears and distrusts superheroes

The Avengers are amazed at how much the DCU admires and trusts superheroes

how are the superman titles these days?

Don't touch with a 10ft pole.

Agreed. Action Comics is unreadable with the dumb back-up stories and Superman is all over the place. Very sad.

Mike Carlin had 4 Superman titles humming like a well-oiled machine and I couldn't wait for the next issue of any of the four titles. Now, the franchise is very weak.

DC and their wacky super gorillas.
Low self esteem hater tongue.gif

confused.gif I liked super gorillas I was fondly Reminiscing. sorry.gif

High self esteem lover cloud9.gif

So ive been collecting comics for a while now and i have never gotten into DC comics. Honestly though ive never really gave them a chance or took the time to read any except the batman knightfall story. Id really like something new to collect as im getting bored with alot of marvel stuff. So my question is...Whats the biggest differences between DC comics and Marvel comics? Same old superhero stuff or not? Can anyone recommend some good DC's that i can start getting into to break the mold?

All great responses and snide remarks are welcome.

Ive been reading some of the DC trades recently and have really really liked the following:

-GL/GA The Adams/Oneill years. Reprints GL 76-81/2 and is classic killer stuff.

-Identity Crisis-Introduced me to a lot of characters that I never knew anything about. It was a great story with a lot of intrigue and left you asking yourself some tough questions.

-Jonah Hex-Facefull of Misery- Not a really big western fan before I read this, but it is kick you in the nuts good.

-Batman-Dark Knight Returns cloud9.gif just really good stuff. Art is a little to overexadurated for my taste, but the story is really good

-Batman-Long Halloween GD that is great stuff

-Batman-Dark Victory-GD this is great stuff

Ive got some JSA and JLA trades to read that I just havent gotte around to yet.

J/K those gorilla ideas sucked! poke2.gif

It's okay if you have a fetish for super gorillas. To each his own.

you never play with your monkey??

sexg.jpginsane.gif

So ive been collecting comics for a while now and i have never gotten into DC comics. Honestly though ive never really gave them a chance or took the time to read any except the batman knightfall story. Id really like something new to collect as im getting bored with alot of marvel stuff. So my question is...Whats the biggest differences between DC comics and Marvel comics? Same old superhero stuff or not? Can anyone recommend some good DC's that i can start getting into to break the mold?

Ive been reading some of the DC trades recently and have really really liked the following:

I thought for sure you'd take the bait. gossip.gif

I would recomend TPBs to get a feel for what you like first...

Batman has a great range of TPBs.

Dark Knight Returns kicks arse

and so does Batman Year One

for starters.

cloud9.gif

As a long time Marvel fan, these two were terrible reads for me. I do agree to buy some trades and see what you like.

As another long-time Marvel fan, I liked them when I read them but not so much on the re-read.

For whatever reason, aside from a couple of classics (Superman 233 and Annual 11, Detective 395, Flash 225), most of my favorite DC books are Elseworlds/Imaginary stories (Kingdom Come, Elseworlds' Finest: Supergirl/Batgirl, etc.).

I always felt Marvel gave their heroes too many psycological issues.... it made you feel like krap after finishing some of the stories.... DC carried a more good vs. evil message and was lighter fun.. plus the DC horror kicked Marvel horror around the block and then could still sleep with Marvel's sister thumbsup2.gif

this was the point I was going to make, concerning the thread title. the differences.

I've been a Marvel zombie since age 12, and I never realized how different the companies were in tone.

Picking up Perez's JLA/Avenges and reading how the JLA were beloved and the Avengers were mistrusted, etc. Such a stark contrast in "fantasy/reality".

I think you get to escape more when you pick up a DC book.

I think you see more of a mirror of our Universe when you pick up a Marvel book.

-Identity Crisis-Introduced me to a lot of characters that I never knew anything about. It was a great story with a lot of intrigue and left you asking yourself some tough questions.

-Jonah Hex-Facefull of Misery- Not a really big western fan before I read this, but it is kick you in the nuts good.

-Batman-Dark Knight Returns cloud9.gif just really good stuff. Art is a little to overexadurated for my taste, but the story is really good

-Batman-Long Halloween GD that is great stuff

-Batman-Dark Victory-GD this is great stuff

Ive got some JSA and JLA trades to read that I just havent gotte around to yet.

Great list. I'd also recommend:

Brave and the Bold -- It's up to issue 4 or so and is great fun.

Superman/Batman -- World's Finest done right.

The Spirit -- Darwyn Cooke. Need I say more?

As far as TPBs go, also check out New Frontier, also by Darwyn Cooke. Any Loeb/Sale Batman stuff is worth reading.

For Catwoman, check out Selina's Big Score or When in Rome. The monthly series is in a slump right now.

Watchmen is probably required reading.

Again, I've said this before but I'd start with whatever your local library has. It's a cheap and convenient way to check out what DC has to offer. Just a thought. thumbsup2.gif

Excellent point, and I second that. My local library has a lot of DC TPBs.