• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone want a run of ASM?

18 posts in this topic

I wonder if he will accept monthly payments..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know a great way to get these books via monthly payments...buy a few individually each month from other sellers! None of these books are in such short supply that they don't pop up every few weeks or months.

I wonder if he will accept monthly payments..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know a great way to get these books via monthly payments...buy a few individually each month from other sellers! None of these books are in such short supply that they don't pop up every few weeks or months.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Wouldn't I get all those books cheaper by buying them as a lot?

But why would he take payments?

If he wanted to take payments, wouldn't he just list them seperately and make more money?

makepoint.gif

Wouldn't I get all those books cheaper by buying them as a lot?

That's the twenty thousand dollar question of this auction, but my guess is that no, he's probably got the reserve at approximately the market price he paid for them or more. This is the first lot I've seen like this consisting of all CGC'ed Spideys extending so far into the mid-60s since Ideal Collectables did it with the whole 1 to 100 run a few years ago. Like that lot, I'm expecting this one to not meet reserve, but who knows...we'll see!

Wouldn't I get all those books cheaper by buying them as a lot?

I have already talk to the person and he's going to sell them all to me!!!!

Just Kidding.

I did email him and asked if I could pick them up in person and he said absolutely (especially since he would pay for shipping). So I'm pretty sure this is a legit auction.

Now to the bad news.

He actually said he thought he was too optimistic on the reserve. He said his reserve is just what he paid for the books over the past year.

Therefore, he is not selling these at a discount because they are a group.

The only advantage to paying full market value for these books is to save on shipping. But that would also mean you would want all of these books in their stated condition.

The price already seems high to me considering less than 20 of the books are actually Silver-Age.

He said if they don't sell, he's going to submit about 40 more books to CGC and then package them into the run.

I would be willing to buy the whole lot if I have sure sales for the issues above 100.

I still think that he probably paid a fairly high price for these books (especially the books that are now more common such as the issues after 150).

If someone (or several people) are interested in the books after 100, PM me with what you would be willing to pay.

If two or more of us really want these books for our collection (as oppose to flipping), we should be able to bid more than any other dealer. Still doesn't mean the bid will meet reserve, but you never know.

since Ideal Collectables did it with the whole 1 to 100 run a few years ago

Actually, I believe it was #1-#300.

My guess is that he's trying to get more, and the reserve will reflect that. And getting a higher price than what they would bring in seperately is entirely possible. He just needs the right bidder to come along and want to forego the time it would take to get all these books seperately. The only reason I think it won't work is because there are too many holes, and the range is too broad. If his original intent of amassing these books was to do this, he should have focused in more on completing a smaller range. A graded 9.4+ run of #100-#150 would do very well, IMO.

Actually, I believe it was #1-#300.

Were they all slabbed? I can't remember...I remembered it was almost the full run but I didn't think the newer ones were slabbed which is why I only mentioned the 1 to 100.

I'm 99% sure every book was slabbed. I think the reason you only remember the #1-100 is that they were the only ones pictured(if I remember correctly). They just check-listed the others.