• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absence of new high grade moderns on ebay lately

8 posts in this topic

I just got my new CBG in the mail today. Said overall auctions are down on ebay. They did note a similar trend last summer before school began. Ive also noticed a lack of insurgence of modern high grade 9.8 books lately as well on ebay. Mainly many of the same books are on sale this week that didnt sale last week. Anyone want to comment on the lack of new submissions to CGC appearing on ebay in high grade: 9.8?

Lack of profitability... even if a little can be made on a modern 9.8, you have to consider the time invested, pre-screening fees or "9.6 misses".

I think starting with Ultimates 1, the demand for "late" 9.8 moderns decreased quite a bit. Some CGC collectors decided to just have a few projected raw NM+ to NM/M copies instead.

I'm sure Carl can elaborate in more detail

I'm curious to know if the Modern Signature Series concept is doing well... Bob?

For most moderns, you need to get a 9.8 to make the submission worthwhile. Lately, even when that happens, the book often sells for $25-$35. Using a prescreen is therefore the only realistic way to chase these 9.8 moderns, and if you get a bunch of rejections, the $3 apiece for these bites into profit per unit. Also, the USM covers have been flimsy as hell lately, and easily damaged.

so, if this downswing in auction volume for moderns is the direct result of cgc grading prices for moderns, why are we just now seeing a downswing in either 1-submissions 2-ebay auctions. Was this a delayed effect? And I suppose the next best question-where is this headed? Overall less submissions to CGC, a lowering of their price to increase volume? Opinons?