• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A note to the Mods

110 posts in this topic

If I wanted to know what the bozos(no offense to you non bozos) in the WC thought about Horror Flicks I would have posted my thread there.

You guys let a thread about Met's and Yankee fans bashing each other go on for some 1500 pages in Comics General. Or a thread about the price of Gas go on and on, yet you pull my thread about horror flicks out on DVD(some of which are comic related) in a matter of 10 seconds?

Yikes.

WTF is wrong with this place?

Kenny Sanderson

oh good. a "what's wrong with the moderators around here" thread.

i've moderated boards before. it sucks. one person thinks you're too harsh, the other that you're too lenient, the other that the rules aren't evenly applied, the other that the rules aren't different for old-timers and n00bs...

it's freaking tiring work. no matter what decision you make, you're wrong to someone.

maybe someone person_without_enough_empathyed about your earlier thread. maybe multiple people did. maybe Borock pulled it because it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

confused-smiley-013.gif

i am just tired of reading about how bad the moderation is here. i think it's way looser than some places i've been too and far stricter than, oh, say 4chan and the like, but that's the way i personally like it

i've moderated boards before. it sucks. one person thinks you're too harsh, the other that you're too lenient, the other that the rules aren't evenly applied, the other that the rules aren't different for old-timers and n00bs...

it's freaking tiring work. no matter what decision you make, you're wrong to someone.

maybe someone person_without_enough_empathyed about your earlier thread. maybe multiple people did. maybe Borock pulled it because it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

confused-smiley-013.gif

i am just tired of reading about how bad the moderation is here. i think it's way looser than some places i've been too and far stricter than, oh, say 4chan and the like, but that's the way i personally like it

I agree, to a point. I think this is pretty black and white though. Either allow off topic posts or don't. There are half a dozen threads right now that are off topic. Why would one about horror movies be pulled and not any others?

I should also add that the Water Cooler is a complete cluster *spoon* and I'd rather have a post deleted then moved to that *spoon* up section of the board.

Ze-man

My list for you. I will preface by saying there haven't been a great deal of great horror films, but these are some notable ones, even though they may not be to everyone's liking.

The Descent

The Hills have Eyes

Wolf Creek

High Tension

House of Wax

The Devil's Rejects

also any of the After Dark Horrorfest movies:

The Abandoned

Unrest

Penny Dreadful

The Gravedancers

The Hamiltons

Reincarnation

Dark Ride

Wicked Little Things

confused-smiley-013.gif

Sal, my thread was in CG for about 10 seconds.

So I flat out asked the Mods how they can let a thread that has nothing to do with comics, and is borderline against board rules go on for days in CG. Yet I make a post about something slightly OT, and it gets yanked in 10 seconds. If it is just a matter of them seeing mine, versus others that is understandable. Just say so.

Besides, am I not alowed to question them about it?

And yeah, Borock asked the Mods to pull it.

Thats it.

screwy.gifscrewy.gif

Shouldn't Borock be grading comics? poke2.gif

Steve just called me and told me what his favorite Horror Movies are.

27_laughing.gif

NOT

Ze-man

My list for you. I will preface by saying there haven't been a great deal of great horror films, but these are some notable ones, even though they may not be to everyone's liking.

The Descent

The Hills have Eyes

Wolf Creek

High Tension

House of Wax

The Devil's Rejects

also any of the After Dark Horrorfest movies:

The Abandoned

Unrest

Penny Dreadful

The Gravedancers

The Hamiltons

Reincarnation

Dark Ride

Wicked Little Things

Well.....hell must be experiencing frost-like conditions because I agree on something with deathlok. The Descent is one of the best films I have seen in the past year and definitely one of the best horror films ever. Very claustrophobic, frightening, and extremely sad.

Scott

True, but the flipside is that "mods are always right" - they generally answer only to someone with the company in question, not to anyone populating the board in question. They have ultimate control in many ways, and on many boards they walk around with their chest puffed out like they're the sherrif of a wild west outpost (which many boards appear to be, I grant you).

I think Ze-man's question was/is a reasonable one that deserves an answer... more insights into the mod's mindsets would only help... confused-smiley-013.gif

It comes down to this.

I wanted to know what my comic buddies thought were good horror flicks because we have simlar interests. And I know almost all of them do not frequent the WC for obvious reasons.

So I made my post in CG.

If I titled it differently and left out the OT, and asked peoples advice about Comic Related Horror Flicks, then once inside the thread I asked about other Horror related movies? That would then be ok?

I understand moderating takes time. My wifes runs two different boards. But c'mon. It isnt that hard to see what is really an OT post and yank it, and one that has possible merit in the given room.

And of course my reaction to seeing it pulled was kneejerk. It was a shock to see it yanked so quickly.

1halloweenb.jpg

The mods do need to be more consistent on this issue.

My personal vote would be to not allow OT threads here. I rarely read them and they just knock other comic related threads off the front page.

That is what the water cooler is for, unbearable as it may be. The more non-comic realted threads we have here, the more non-comic related users we'll attract.

My personal vote would be to not allow OT threads here. I rarely read them and they just knock other comic related threads off the front page.

That is what the water cooler is for, unbearable as it may be. The more non-comic realted threads we have here, the more non-comic related users we'll attract.

thumbsup2.gif

I also grow tired of the "Hey Newt" threads (not picking on him directly)

but if you need to get someones attention send them a PM. makepoint.gif

I feel just the opposite. I would rather discuss OT topics with comic guys rather than the undesirables in the WC. I have often told Kevin that he should create a Comic WC down here, but that has fallen on deaf ears.

I feel just the opposite. I would rather discuss OT topics with comic guys rather than the undesirables in the WC. I have often told Kevin that he should create a Comic WC down here, but that has fallen on deaf ears.

You still not allowed in the WC? grin.gif