• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Label Poll

Should CGC reinstate the alpha grades (VG, VF etc) on the new label?  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Should CGC reinstate the alpha grades (VG, VF etc) on the new label?

11 posts in this topic

What I find most interesting are the people voting NO. I can empathize with the DON'T CARE crowd, since it may not be a big deal to some, but the prospect of insufficiently_thoughtful_person/newbie $$$ is definitely coming to the fore.

It's like the controversial decision to delete Grader's Notes. Some were in favor of the change (dealers), since it allowed them to sell mis-cut, date-stamped, kid name-scrawled [!@#%^&^] without having to disclose the Label Notes. Those who stand to gain monetarily from selling CGC comics are always in favor of less info on the label, as it creates a more stock-like selling environment and the illusion of easier sales.

At some point in time, all that will be left will be speculators selling to other speculators, and then comes the inevitable bloodbath.

I voted "Don't Care", but I don't understand your point...

Isn't the numerical system they're using now, much more accurate (specific) than using VF+? I mean 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 these are VERY specific, no?

Never heard that about graders notes, that seems stupid...more info is good

I voted "Don't Care", but I don't understand your point...

Isn't the numerical system they're using now, much more accurate (specific) than using VF+? I mean 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 these are VERY specific, no?

But the point is, they've always had the very specific 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, etc. CGC numbers on the label...

It looks like CGC needs to make some changes to their label since many of their customers would prefer this smile.gif

Yeah, like those who actually BUY CGC comics matter. 893frustrated.gif

CGC Math:

1 Dealer = 1,000,000.000.000.000 Buyers

I voted no because the most confusing term in the hobby is good and very good. Outsiders just don't understand this means something quite different to a comiccollector.

What does the term mint have to do with comis anyway. The term was taken from coin collecting and is short for "mint-like state or straight from the mint." Since most comics are not in true pristine condition,why call them mint. A numeric scale makes way more sense to me.

Actually, when the hobby only had several designations, using words to describe the grades seemed adequate. But with a 10 point system, I personally can see how it didn't provide the overall intended value. I'm ok with just the numerical system. But then again, I've committed most of that info to the old bio-neuro transistor capacitors...