• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

date stamps,nostalgia,or annoyance?

13 posts in this topic

just wanted to get a few opinions on this.i saw a book i was thinking of buying but it had a date stamp on the cover which i thought was kind of cool,but i know it hurts the value of the book.so my question is would you,or would you not buy a book just because of the date stamp?

Some people detest them...such as me...but if the book is exceptional I will consider adding it to my collection...I purchased a "Dagar" with a neat date stamp on it mostly because they are somewhat difficult to find in high grade...

Povertyrow on the other hand prefers date stamps as it is a bit of historical record of that particular book...

Bottom line....some people will pay more for a date stamp while others would rather pass until another "clean" copy comes around...

Some people detest them...such as me...but if the book is exceptional I will consider adding it to my collection...I purchased a "Dagar" with a neat date stamp on it mostly because they are somewhat difficult to find in high grade...

Povertyrow on the other hand prefers date stamps as it is a bit of historical record of that particular book...

Bottom line....some people will pay more for a date stamp while others would rather pass until another "clean" copy comes around...

Date stamp hater! confused-smiley-013.gif

I would say a date stamp reduces the value of the book if it is mid Silver-Age or newer book. Most of these books are not rare and some people will "pass" on the book because of the date stamp.

Golden-Age to early Silver-Age books are a different story. Many are hard to get, so people can't always "pass" on these books because of a date stamp.

So if the book is tough to get, unless the date stamp is in a terrible spot, I would buy the book.

just wanted to get a few opinions on this.i saw a book i was thinking of buying but it had a date stamp on the cover which i thought was kind of cool,but i know it hurts the value of the book.so my question is would you,or would you not buy a book just because of the date stamp?

Well it hurts the value for some collectors but not for others. As Ara said, I love 'em.

I don't mind date stamps on Golden Age and early Silver age books as long as they're not placed in an obnoxious spot (like across Batman's face). If they're present, I think it's neat to see when and sometimes were the book was retailed. I think maybe a "cool date stamp" thread is in order...

I don't think anyone would actually pay MORE for a book with a date stamp. Maybe for a pedigree book that happened to have a date stamp, but not because of it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think anyone would actually pay MORE for a book with a date stamp. Maybe for a pedigree book that happened to have a date stamp, but not because of it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes - do not think I will pay extra for a date stamp. But I will buy a book with one or without one.

Yeah, I'd have a hard time believing someone would pay more for a book with a date stamp. I would probably pay more for a book WITHOUT a date stamp, but I'd guess that the opposite isn't very likely.

The only time I'd allow for a date stamp is if it was on a Golden Age book and not in conflict with the cover art. For everything else, no date stamps period.

Brian