• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buscema or Kirby...?

22 posts in this topic

Who is the definitive Silver Surfer artist? They've both done roughly done the same # of issues featuring the Sentinel of the Spaceways, but can the artist who did most of the characters own title be seen in the same vain as the person who originated the character? Just wondering...and seeing how long it takes for someone to mention Ron Lim smile.gif

Jim

Who is the definitive Silver Surfer artist? They've both done roughly done the same # of issues featuring the Sentinel of the Spaceways, but can the artist who did most of the characters own title be seen in the same vain as the person who originated the character? Just wondering...and seeing how long it takes for someone to mention Ron Lim smile.gif

Jim

no contest, Buscema. Don't get me wrong, I love Kirby's work but John's work on Silver Surfer is incredible. All I am going to say is Silver Surfer #4 cover,

I love "definitive artist" questions. Here I think Buscema gets the nod for his subtle work with SS -- dynamic yet fluid, powerful yet vulnerable. Both were terrific, of course.

Buscema also did an awesome Thor, but with Thor Kirby gets the prize IMO.

Dan

Wasnt this addressed in that Denzel Washington movie?

That was a debate on the merits of Kirby and Jean Giraud.

I do beleive it was said :

You have to set an example even in the face of stupidity. Everybody who reads comic books knows that Kirby Silver Surfer is the only true Silver Surfer. Now am I right or wrong?

Kirby wins over all

Wasnt this addressed in that Denzel Washington movie?

That was a debate on the merits of Kirby and Jean Giraud.

I do beleive it was said :

You have to set an example even in the face of stupidity. Everybody who reads comic books knows that Kirby Silver Surfer is the only true Silver Surfer. Now am I right or wrong?

Kirby wins over all

I know what was said thumbsup2.gif - that ended up being the memorable punch line.

I was just going back to the original cause of the fight between the sailors (about the Surfer) which was Kirby vs Moebius - which I thought was rather funny.

For the purposes of the point of the thread, I vote Buscema. headbang.gif

Kirby did him first and I love Kirby - he started it all, but - "Buscema did him best". He was also drawn by John Byrne, Milx, Ron Lim, Moebius, and Starlin. Byrne didn't do too bad, and not bad on Galactus either. The cover on Silver Surfer - Communion Part One is pretty good too. Interior art by Milx, which I didn't care for as much as the cover. Anyone know who did that? I doubt it was Milx since it is so different from what is inside.

In my opinion Buscema mastered him. Two of my favorite covers of all time are Buscema's Silver Surfer # 3 ( Great Mephisto ), and Silver Surfer # 4 (a Fantastic Surfer vs Thor). For me it was in the "eye's" of the surfer. I met John Buscema around 1972 / 1973 and enjoyed very much speaking with him at a friends Comic Shop. We all had lunch together.

I sold those (2) books to a member of this forum about a month ago.. Hello Pedro - I hope you are enjoying the books as much as I did. Lots of memories there. How's the weather in France today?

Wishing all my fellow members a Happy Memorial Day.......Jim thumbsup2.gif

This is like asking who's a better sculptor, Michaelangelo or Rodin?

Kirby created the Silver Surfer. I always liked the power that the Kirby/Sinnott Silver Surfer emoted in the pages of the FF and the Silver Surfer graphic novel (which is essential reading). Buscema's Surfer had an elegance that Kirby's did not, which matched the tragic melodramatic scripts of that series wonderfully.

But to me the Kirby Surfer was the first and original, and therefore the one that "defines" the Silver Surfer to me. But Buscema portrayed him with a strong humanistic artistry that Kirby couldn't have done.

Jim

You give a nod to Kirby as the co-creator and first artist. You also give a nod to Kirby because he is...Kirby.

But you don't turn away from Buscema. He gets a nod because he made the Surfer his own. Consider the early Surfer against the work that Buscema did; nobody did him better, not even the King. Buscema defined the character and its look.

So -- tie game!