• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No More Grades, Just BIG NUMBERS!

635 posts in this topic

I've held back from posting on here, and I have tried my best to look at what good CGC does for the biz, rather than look at the negatives.

Unfortunately, CGC's New Label is detestable and I cannot believe they are being allowed to totally delete the actual grade, without any complaints from the buyers.

It's pretty obvious what's going on. First grader notes are deleted due to seller complaints, and now we're moving to a totally numerical system, again likely due to sellers complaining that the CGC 9.4 Near Mint designation creates a line in the sand for investment gurus to latch onto.

Easy solution: Get rid of Near Mint, Very Fine/Near Mint, Fine and the like and just use a number. Most Americans can't read anyway, so dealers probably think they're limiting their market by using real words.

A MONSTROUSLY HUGE, MONOLITHIC CGC 9.0 sure looks better than Very Fine/Near Mint for the in the crowd.

Problem is, this solution sucks butt. CGC needs to start providing MORE information for buyers, not constantly deleting label info due to their owner's (dealers) complaints.

Can't see any other logical reason,...unfortunatly I have to agree...There is just no positive justification to have the label as it now exists.........for the next generation of collectors a 9 out of 10 sounds a heck of a lot better than a vf/nm,..so to all you people who have been scooping up those 9.0's so cheap.... congrads to you....

you're going to have a great return on your money in the next couple of years.

J.D.

P.S.

Welcome back Joe.

I agree with you 100% Joe. Unfortunately, what I think carries about as much weight as a lead arm floaty in the middle of the ocean.

Welcome back, its good to see your avatar without a pink 'fro pick stuck in it.

Just to add to what will hopefully be a torrent of "me too"s, I'm with you on this one. Removing the vf/nm etc. from the label is a bad idea.

More than likely we will all be branded as "sheep" Rob,...cause we know all those unsung newbies out there rallied furiously to get this label changed so it it makes more sense to them when they buy their Batman #612 9.8.

J.D.

For the guys (and gals) at CGC, I have to admit, I wouldn't be collecting if it wasn't for you.

But, I don't like the new label (very jumbled) and I definitely don't like the grade (NM, VF, etc.) not being on the label.

I don't mind anything about the new label except for the loss of the written grade. To me it's an extremely important part of the hobby.

It's clear that money talks. To maximize profits, sellers (who provide CGC with most of its business) want as little information on a CGC label as possible. Why? So they can tell collectors what to think about a book. Putting information in the hands of buyers is dangerous to profits, and that's a fact.

As a real fan of the service that CGC provides - it helped me get back into collecting - I formally request to Steve and others that the letter grades be returned to the new label. Keep it small, keep it under the huge number, but keep it nonethless. Let's not throw away grading history in the very segment of the hobby where such history is most cherished.

Thanks for listening,

Dan

Vince!

I'm also in agreement about the label. There is definetly no additional benefit to the buyer, just a more marketable product to the seller/dealer.

So Vince............do you think comics are a good investment? grin.gif

Man....I hadn't even noticed it was gone crazy.gif

Shows you how much attention I pay to the label I guess....

I'm a serial CGC case-cracker (or a slab liberator if you must) but I must confess that when I do an eBay search for CGC books I only use the numbers system.

The names of the different grades brings a human touch to the hobby of collecting, geeky maybe, but a lot better than mere dry numbers.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's a bad idea getting rid of the designations, I understand why they are doing this, but once again it becomes clear it's all about the Benjamins frown.gif

Let's not throw away grading history in the very segment of the hobby where such history is most cherished.

That's the thing about it for me. For more years than I've been alive comic collectors have used Mint, etc. to describe their comics. Tossing that aside is basically tossing aside all those years of tradition. The hobby doesn't benefit from that.

Personally, I am indifferent because I am aware of what the numbers mean. However, I agree with the sentiment that it doesn't really serve any legitimate practical purpose for removing the descriptive grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

Tossing that aside is basically tossing aside all those years of tradition.

As I stated in another thread, CGC is obviously sending the message that the newbie/insufficiently_thoughtful_person money is far more important than providing long-time collectors with needed info. It's quite apparent CGC doesn't want my money.

I honestly never thought CGC would ever go this far, and trample on the history of comic grading. I guess the next step is CGC stating that "we're bigger than Jesus". 893whatthe.gif

What if we go something like this.....

y.jpg

Old timers can still see enuf of the cover around the border to know its a X-Men #10,...and new time buyers get the security they need when buying a graded book.