• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No More Grades, Just BIG NUMBERS!

635 posts in this topic

I'm just assuming most collectors own, or have owned an OS guide.

I think you would be surprised how many collectors don't own a copy of Overstreet. It's a pretty expensive outlay for the average collector, who is more likely to rely on the latest issue of Wizard.

Didn't Arnoldt state that by their sales records, not even 1 in 100 collectors could own a copy?

I think you would be surprised how many collectors don't own a copy of Overstreet. It's a pretty expensive outlay for the average collector, who is more likely to rely on the latest issue of Wizard.

I don't own the new Overstreet, nor do I care to.... confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't own the new Overstreet, nor do I care to.... confused-smiley-013.gif

That's why you suck in grading. Seriously, I own all the Overstreets but rarely refer to anything other than the prices once in a while. Most of my knowledge is learned "on the job"! tongue.gif

Based upon all the fine feedback regarding CGC's removal of the named grades from their label, I believe that I see enough demand to go ahead and start a new grading service that I shall dub the Number-to-Name Grading Company (NNGC). The submission tiers shall be as follows:

• Economy = translation of the cryptic CGC numerical grade into the more user-friendly named grade. Named grade shall be scrawled onto the front of the slab with a black Sharpie.
  • Standard = translation of CGC numerical grades into named grades, but grade shall be placed under the numeric grade using a printed label sporting a very, very attractive typeface.
  • Express = translation of the number into the name using pretty letters PLUS an added value--translation of those oft-hard-to-understand abbreviated named grades into fully spelled-out named grades! No more guessing whether a confusing grading geek term like VF/NM means "Very Foul/Near Mangled" or could possibly be a misplaced personal ad abbreviation describing a CGC grader's preference for "Very Feminine Nappyheaded Men"...you will see EXPLICITLY that it does indeed stand for "Very Fine/Near Mint".
  • Walkthrough = same as Express, except you will have access to our 800 number where NNGC representatives are standing by to help you with all your numeric grade translation needs. Next time you're grading that raw Near Mint book and can't remember what the numeric grade is, try giving NNGC a call! We'll be happy to act as your personal reference to the bewildering world of numeric grading.

My partners and I hope to have this service available for on-time grading within the next month. Thank you all for the wonderful, painfully verbose, mind-numbingly repetitive feedback in this thread that has made it so clear that this is a service that is sorely needed in the graded comics community! acclaim.gifmakepoint.gifstooges.gif

27_laughing.gif funny

seriously though, I would think that just about every collector was exposed to, or had understood the numerals if they understood the alpha? I'd be surprised if a great majority of the collectors out there ONLY identify with the alpha grade.

Do you agree with Joanna's statement?

BTW... how do you do that indent, bullet technique?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

seriously though, I would think that just about every collector was exposed to, or had understood the numerals if they understood the alpha? I'd be surprised if a great majority of the collectors out there ONLY identify with the alpha grade

I definitely think you're wrong there. I count myself up on most of the numbers, but toss 2.5, 4.5 or 7.5 at me, and I have to think about my answer in the form of an alpha.

That's the key element, and is similar to languages. You can always recognize someone's favored tongue (lotsa bilingual people here) by asking them which language they internally translate at.

I see numbers and I try to translate to alpha. I see alpha and I'm at home.

seriously though, I would think that just about every collector was exposed to, or had understood the numerals if they understood the alpha? I'd be surprised if a great majority of the collectors out there ONLY identify with the alpha grade

I definitely think you're wrong there. I count myself up on most of the numbers, but toss 2.5, 4.5 or 7.5 at me, and I have to think about my answer in the form of an alpha.

That's the key element, and is similar to languages. You can always recognize someone's favored tongue (lotsa bilingual people here) by asking them which language they internally translate at.

Maybe you are just a little "slower" than the rest of us? confused-smiley-013.gif

The seller says 9.2 means NM. Dexter doesn't own a guide and has no idea how to get to CGC's website (it's not like you type www.cgc.com and get to the site. Nope, you get a lawyer's site instead)

I wonder how many hits the Cooley Godward LLP web site gets every month from people looking for slabbed comics? And to think, they probably have no idea why they get so many hits. They probably think that they are just darn good lawyers and the word is getting out....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sorta, but numerical grading systems are easier to pick up for newbies. I have no idea what those coin grades mean, or whether Fine is better than Exceptional, but the numbers make sense to me because we use scales like that for a bevy of other things in society (movies, women, restaurants, books, school tests, etc). Even if newbies don't know how the fractional numbers go and that there are 25 notches and not 10, they know 6.x is probably worse than 8.x. But before somebody bites my head off...I still think CGC should've left the names on there...but don't really much care one way or the other because I don't look at the label much anyway.

The indents are a list--look at the "Instant UBB Code" to the right of where the graemlins are when typing a post for "List Start," "List Item," and "List End."

Am I the only one that thinks the alpha is easy to remember? Poor/Fair/Good/Very Good/Fine/Very Fine/Near Mint/Mint

.5 poor

1.0 fair

1.5 FR/GD

1.8 Good minus

2.0 Good

2.5 Good plus

3.0 G/VG

3.5 VG-

4.0 VG

4.5 VG+

5.0 VG/Fine

5.5 Fine -

6.0 Fine

6.5 Fine +

7.0 Fine/VF

7.5 VF-

8.0 VF

8.5 VF+

9.0 VF/NM

9.2 NM-

9.4 NM

9.6 NM+

9.8 NM/M

9.9 Mint

10.0 Mint

Off the top of my head. Of course, I didn't know what 9.6 or higher was for sure, so I cheated and looked.

Having typed all this I now realize I just have too many low grade books is why I know all the alpha grades... sorry.gifsorry.gif

Well, for me, anything below 9.4 I can't remember.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif... just kidding! Its about 6.0 Fine where I lose track a bit

For clarity's sake though... Although I did not specify, I was referring to the higher grades (above VF 8.0) that I assumed most collectors had fairly good knowledge of the numeral to alpha association. Its also these upper grades that also comprise a high percentage of available CGC books.

"BTW... how do you do that indent, bullet technique?"

Try using the "list" option..... grin.gif

mad.gif... at myslef for being a dope!

893frustrated.gif... oh the lost opportunity for lists thus far sorry.gif

Will you be using this in your next diatribe? Ooops...thought I was talking to Vince here! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

probably... smirk.gif it should break up the "paragraph flow" of my longer posts... hopefully confused-smiley-013.gif

As ling as you're actuil pists donut get many longer...... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Or you going to debit your typo? confused-smiley-013.gif

What typo?, sure change the text inside the quote... that's tough!... and look who's talking... look at all the typos I captured from your last post before you edited it...shhesh... glass houses and rocks... ya' know!

boo.gifinsane.gif

probably... smirk.gif it should break up the "paragraph flow" of my longer posts... hopefully confused-smiley-013.gif

As ling as you're actuil pists donut get many longer...... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Or you going to debit your typo? confused-smiley-013.gif

What typo?, sure change the text inside the quote... that's tough!... and look who's talking... look at all the typos I captured from your last post before you edited it...shhesh... glass houses and rocks... ya' know!

boo.gifinsane.gif

You're becoming more and more like greggy everyday..... tongue.gif