• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will there be another Hulk 181?

140 posts in this topic

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah, think I'll pass.

Looking for a NM copy. 27_laughing.gif

Start bidding!

Soap Opera Romances 1

High grade beauty!

NM copy of Soap Opera Romances 1, very hard to find last gasp Charlton from 1982. Gorgeous copy, best I've ever see of this book. Bright cover colors, nice pages. Super copy of a great book!

Maybe not quite Hulk 181 status but I think MS 5 has a ton of potential. Tough to find in HG, 1st appearance of a character that could become very popular if they make a good movie, especially if they go high budget starring Nic Cage. Not sure what the print run on it is but I'm thinking it would be lower than most superhero books so there probably isn't a ton of unslabbed high grade out there. It mainly hinges on a good movie so that Ghost Rider gets more exposure.

NM copy of Soap Opera Romances 1, very hard to find last gasp Charlton from 1982. Gorgeous copy, best I've ever see of this book. Bright cover colors, nice pages. Super copy of a great book!

Last gasp indeed! What was Charlton thinking? Romance comics would make a sudden comeback in the 80s? I suspect this title was from some editor's filler issues from the 70s and Charlton released it before the ship finally sank.

I may need to get me a copy...... grin.gif

Jim

TMNT #1 1st print. 4th movie in the works, tall action figures in the shops. Bring back the cartoon. Slabbing of mags to start later this year? Black spine, very low print run. Retro Turtlemania soon. 27_laughing.gif

This is probably going to be the new one as odin said.

It has been going for 5x guide when it has appeared in any grade

Danny

I agree with spotlight #5. Not Hulk 181 levels, but i think it will be strong regardless of a movie. That character was cool as hell to a lot of kids, including me. Tough as ballz to find a nice one, and even low grades don't flood the market. Also X-men 129 has potential since its 1st Kitty Pryde & first emma frost, both major X-characters who have lasted for over 20 years of storytelling..... But the print run is high, so it won't get too nutty.

I agree with spotlight #5. Not Hulk 181 levels, but i think it will be strong regardless of a movie.

But isn't MS 5 already a high-priced key?

I assumed the question meant identifying a book currently in the $30-$50 NM range, that would exhibit the same rapid price escalation of Hulk 181.

Actually, the only hope is through movie-based hype, as Daredevil 131 really exploded pre-movie, where NM copies jumped 5X or more in value, and CGC 9.6-9.8 books exploded. It's much the same way for X-Men 101, and by the time X3 shows up, it may be even higher.

Otherwise, new comics sales are so low, and the actual books are moving away from the standard characters (Ultimates), to be a non-factor in back issue demand.

Yeah, movies can do it, but X-men 101 was already pretty pricey too. Now if they ever make a nova movie, or omega, or nurse betty crane....

it also seems that they just haven't been creating characters as much lately, mostyl retreads, or re-do's like the ultimates, so there isn't as large a character pool to pick from

Yeah, movies can do it, but X-men 101 was already pretty pricey too. Now if they ever make a nova movie, or omega, or nurse betty crane....

There already WAS a Nurse Betty movie. Better start snapping up those issues before the Nurse Betty II hype starts.

I agree with spotlight #5. Not Hulk 181 levels, but i think it will be strong regardless of a movie.

But isn't MS 5 already a high-priced key?

I assumed the question meant identifying a book currently in the $30-$50 NM range, that would exhibit the same rapid price escalation of Hulk 181.

Not really. It guides for $175 and 9.4s sell for around $500 to $600. I think it has a lot of potential from there on up. If a movie comes out I can see 9.4s jumping to over 1K.

Seank asked if DD 168 will be the next Hulk 181. I was just wondering, if there ever has been a book like Hulk 181. Specifically somewhere between 1970 and 1980?

I became a serious collector in and around 1977 so not sure if there was/were any rapid escalations of prices on certain books. I personally can't think of any comic, other than maybe FF 48 - and we all know what's happened to that book.

So, if the answer is no, there has not ever been a comic like Hulk 181, what would make anyone feel there would be a next one? confused.gif

And, if you feel there will be a next one, which one?

Yes! It's X-men #164 1st Binary! insane.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifsumo.gif