• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bound Volumes - Anyone ever take a bunch of comics and have them bound up in HC?

48 posts in this topic

Thought I'd post a few projects that other people have done which I thought were cool. I love the layout on this green lantern set:

michael_feb_07.jpg

Another guy did a full 5yr run of Marvel's output, month by month. Can't find the picture of it though...

I'm glad to see the comic binding topic getting some attention on the CGC boards. I started binding comics through David Banks at Capitol Bindery a couple of years ago and I've found it to be a great hobby. I tend to bind mid-grade "reader" copies of my favorite titles in 25-issue runs, which makes for great reading. I'll post a couple of pictures of my recent binding jobs:

wolv1-4.jpg

wcav1-2.jpg

xmls3.jpg

I think the smaller volumes are great, around 15-20. However, my budget can't afford that, so I pack in as many issues as I can. There is a max though - usually you don't want the spine to be much more than 2-2.5" wide (I think that's right...), because it would cause problems such as:

a) Some extra large books won't fit under binders binding-needles

b) There sometimes is a surcharge for oversized books

c) The larger book you make, the less you will be able to see of the gutter

So...I think I average around 25 per volume. Sometimes more (I think 31 might have been my record), sometimes less (I think 24 was the smallest). Some people divide up the series evenly, but I am binding in chronological order, so I try to divide up the *year* evenly if there are too many for a single volume.

Yay! I just got word that my latest volumes have been completed, and are being shipped to me. DSCN3826.jpg

Mine are the bottom 4 on the stack to the right. The Superman volume I think is from the late 70's, so it should have around 24 issues in it. The Dailies volumes I put together myself, and think it was about 400-some pages (printed double-sided, so it is the thickness of about half a ream of paper...)

893applaud-thumb.gif I'll post you a better pic soon.