• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby Art! Let's see it...

71 posts in this topic

Here is the link to my Kirby pieces....

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=5128

The Hulk page just does it for me, and the FF3 and Spidey page are special. I try to obtain early examples of the Marvel Universe while it was aborin'

oh altho there is no Cap in the page, I was there at right time/right place to snag the Timely page...

jon

I've got a couple of Kriby's.....

Journey Into Mystery #119, page 3

JiMpage.jpg

And What If....? #11. I got these a week or two after Jack Kirby passed away at a shop in Tulsa for $50 apiece. I felt robbed for years. The story was "What if the Marvel Bullpen became the Fantstic Four?" and this page features Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, Sol Brodsky, and the secretary Flo. The last two panels have some cool Kirby-fects with the radiation stuff going off around them. Stan is pretty unrecognizable.......come to think of it, none of the character look like any photos I've ever seen.

Kirby2.jpg

The Hulk page just does it for me, and the FF3 and Spidey page are special. I try to obtain early examples of the Marvel Universe while it was aborin'

oh altho there is no Cap in the page, I was there at right time/right place to snag the Timely page...

jon

Incredible group of Kirby pages, Jon. As for the Cap page... there are so few Timely pages out there, any one is special, let alone a S&K Timely page! The only other one I've seen is the #6 (?) title splash that Archangels had and that was on Heritage a year or two ago.

Great Kirby art! I am a big FF, Thor and Cap fan and love his covers. To me they are little pieces or art. Seeing the original artwork is awesome. Wish I could afford to own some.

All I have is his sweet little signature from inside my Tales of Suspense 82 when Cap battles the Adaptoid! But I do enjoy it...

JackKirbysignatureonTOS82-1.jpg

jon

You have a Marvelous Kirby collection, especially, the pre-Marvel pages. It is amazing that some of these pages still exist, but to have them is truly incredible.

jon

Dude, I'm gonna start a cult that worships you hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Angelo

Rawhide!..Great action page, Rhino. I read Kirby say on a few occassions how much he loved doing those westerns. I think if it were up to him, he'd have worked on those well into the 70's or never stopped working on them.

Rawhide!..Great action page, Rhino. I read Kirby say on a few occassions how much he loved doing those westerns. I think if it were up to him, he'd have worked on those well into the 70's or never stopped working on them.

Thanks Snappa! I think the Kirby Western art is greatly underappreciated. The level of detail on many of the pages I've seen is incredible. Of course, Jack had good inkers like Ayers on a lot of that stuff, so of course it was good... cloud9.gif

I'll admit I haven't seen alot of the western stuff, but the stuff I've seen has been really fun. The fact that Jack can make such great action scenes without monsters, superpowers or cool gadgets, shows how brilliant he was at this stuff. Jack could make a cup of coffee look exciting. Not that westerns are a cup of coffee of course, but you know what I mean.

Hi Steve; I don't think Kirby's western art is underappreciated.... I think western art is underappreciated.

There's just never been much of a market for it... and as someone from Cowboy..., and Native A's, country I think that stinks!

But, I'm fairly hypocritical on this issue, as I've sold all the western art I ever owned.... although I've never owned a Kirby.... mostly Lieber, Ayers, and Kane. sorry.gif

Anyway, very cool page, and love the Ditko splash on the other thread!

jon

Dude, I'm gonna start a cult that worships you hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Angelo

Count me in!

allhail.gif

(I'm the third one from the right......)

How 'bout some love fer them Kirby Westerns, Pardners!!?? Slap leather, ya varmint!

RawhideKid25.jpg

I've had my head buried in school books for a year, so I may not remember like I should.... but isn't that an unusual layout for Kirby? It's a beautiful page, and no doubt it's Kirby, but I really like that layout. It just seems different for "The King." Of course, everything he did was special......

How 'bout some love fer them Kirby Westerns, Pardners!!?? Slap leather, ya varmint!

RawhideKid25.jpg

I've had my head buried in school books for a year, so I may not remember like I should.... but isn't that an unusual layout for Kirby? It's a beautiful page, and no doubt it's Kirby, but I really like that layout. It just seems different for "The King." Of course, everything he did was special......

thumbsup2.gif Absolutely -- that's what initially attracted me to this piece. It is early 1960s and has a somewhat unique layout with the 3 horizontal and 3 vert panels. Plus it's hard to see in this bad dark pic, but the detail work is exquisite. Of course, this issue was early so the goldrush of superhero titles wasn't in full effect. I often thought some of the pre-hero monster and pre-hero Western titles had such gorgeous art because the artists and inkers had more time to work on them. Maybe a bad hypothesis but there's a lot of quality art in that period.

RawhideKid25.jpg

thumbsup2.gif Absolutely -- that's what initially attracted me to this piece. It is early 1960s and has a somewhat unique layout with the 3 horizontal and 3 vert panels. Plus it's hard to see in this bad dark pic, but the detail work is exquisite. Of course, this issue was early so the goldrush of superhero titles wasn't in full effect. I often thought some of the pre-hero monster and pre-hero Western titles had such gorgeous art because the artists and inkers had more time to work on them. Maybe a bad hypothesis but there's a lot of quality art in that period.

That's an unusual layout for Kirby (btw, great page!), but one of Carmine Infantino's favorites from his work on Flash, Adam Strange, Strange Sport Stories etc.

That's an unusual layout for Kirby (btw, great page!), but one of Carmine Infantino's favorites from his work on Flash, Adam Strange, Strange Sport Stories etc.

hi.gif Adam, I've heard that before: that the layout is very Infantino-esque. confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's very unusual for Kirby, especially given that era. I don't think I've seen a lot of thin horizontal panels in his pages.