• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another New Label Theory

17 posts in this topic

With the new HUGE NUMBER ONLY CGC label, wouldn't it make things easier in the future, if CGC and dealers decided to incorporate additional numerical grades?

As in CGC 9.1, 9.3 or CGC 8.6, 8.7, etc?

Incremental grading is where the money is, both in resubs and for books that may grade a CGC 8.5, CGC 9.0 or CGC 9.2 and be a hair away from the next highest grade...

And before anyone jumps on me, I have heard this complaint (especially with CGC 8.5 books) from numerous dealers. As in pre-grade 9.0, 9.0, 8.5, Final Grade 8.5... In serious keys like AF 15, that might be serious money, compared to a hypothetical CGC 8.9.

P.S. 3PG already does this, and has a full 100-point system in effect.

http://www.3pgrading.com/GRADING%20CRITERIA.htm

That theory makes more sense to me than your other one. I have serious doubts CGC will ever split more hairs though... since there seems to be enough debate with a ".2" increments in high grade and ".1" in ultra high grade.

Maybe for some of the mid grade books though... I can see a 8.7 between (VF+ ...and... VF/NM) although the number does not look right.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The only grade that I think could possibly see being added to high grade is a 9.7. I think a 9.5 wouldn't work well, but "maybe" a 9.7 could? Since a distinction between 9.8, 9.9. and 10.0 exists, maybe in the ultra high grade, they could take the ".1" down one more step and a 9.7 may me possible?

To squeeze them in everywhere would be seem an impossible task and would probably be more headache than its worth.

To squeeze them in everywhere would be seem an impossible task and would probably be more headache than its worth.

I agree somewhat, and that's why I feel the 8.0 and 9.0 ranges are the areas CGC might hit. That's where the money can be made through resubs, and it would fit in perfectly with the deleted alpha terms.

Since when have you bought a CGC book?

Surprisingly, I own quite a few. 1.5 CGC boxes full to be exact.

Now that my CGC tally is out in the open, you can get back to your premeditated, heart-attack diet of KFC and Twinkies.

With the new HUGE NUMBER ONLY CGC label, wouldn't it make things easier in the future, if CGC and dealers decided to incorporate additional numerical grades?

Why does it make it easier? As you pointed out, 3PG is doing the same thing with both the numerical and text grades. I agree that if Overstreet and/or CGC increase the number of notches in the current 25-point scale that it will occur between 8.0 and 9.0.

The enormity of that 100-point scale is highly likely to be a big thorn in the side of 3PG unless they're able to exhibit the tightest grading the comic book back industry has ever seen. The margin of error EVERY current grader displays on the Overstreet 25-notch scale is already greater than it should be, implying even 25 notches is too many; the margin of error on a 100-point scale will be up to 4 times greater unless the guy who has started it is the best grader in history. I really hope they pull it off, though! The content of their label is the best out of three certification services...I'm really slobbering to see some grading samples from them to see how consistent and descriptive that back label is. If they're going to disclose that much information and still be profitable at $7 a book, their internal grading procedures will have to be the most efficient in the industry.

The content of their label is the best out of three certification services...I'm really slobbering to see some grading samples from them to see how consistent and descriptive that back label is. If they're going to disclose that much information and still be profitable at $7 a book, their internal grading procedures will have to be the most efficient in the industry.

I'll post scans eventually. I'm quite happy with them, and until CGG gets a rigid case, 3PG stands out among competitors (although I like that CGG's books are sealed, actually airtight--since 3PG doesn't grade Silver, that makes CGG alogical choice there, plus the benefit of acid-free enclosure away from oxygen. I might send some Silver books to CGG just for the protection, nevermind the grade! For $7 or so, can't beat that).

I like CGC's "snap-together" holder design a little better than 3PG's "edge lock" design, but that's a MINOR point. 3PG's acid-free and UV-protective holder is nice.

I wish they had a better-looking website, though.

Feel the love! grin.gif

Where's that popcorn gremlin? confused.gif

Hey, I'm here to talk serious, but if certain people want to hammer me with insults, I'm game for that as well.

Do unto others as they do unto to you.