• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN / GIANT SIZE # 1 PAGE

90 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, this is now the going rate for the GS 1 X-Men interior pages. It will probably receive one bid before closing to someone that really wants a GS original...

893whatthe.gif

Ciao!

PRC

As always, right on the money.

PRC can you predict the stock market too?

Can I retain you for financial advice in my OA purchasing decisions (except, of course, for the pieces I fall in love with, then all bets are off).

I'm impressed!

Artemaria,

If only I could predict the stock market! If that were the case, then I would buy all those fine art paintings that are selling in the millions.....NOT!

I appreciate the compliments. acclaim.gif

I know the buyer on the periphery. I met him in San Diego about 5 years ago. He is very humble, but he is also very wealthy as one of the heirs to the Nabisco fortune. If he wanted, then he could purchase just about every high-end piece of OA that became available. Moreover, he is also the new owner of the TMNT #1 OA in its entirety that sold about two months ago on eBay. I also know the seller on the periphery as he must be very happy that his $50 investment in 1977 yielded a 50,000% return over 30 years (if I did my math correctly). This sale will help to pay his daughter's college tuition for another year. BTW, the X-Men 94 page on ComicLink was also his page until he sold it in December 2005 to Mr. McDermott for >$10K cash, closing his eBay auction early. Anybody out there remember that besides me?

Now, for my next magic trick, the same seller will receive 2 or more multiple bids for his X-Men 105 page now on eBay, but I do not see the page going over $7,500. juggle.gif

Ciao!

PRC

I don't want this to turn into a McDermott thread, but that guy's a snake. I bought one thing from him that was misrepresented...now I won't touch anything he touches.

Dan

I know the buyer on the periphery. I met him in San Diego about 5 years ago. He is very humble, but he is also very wealthy as one of the heirs to the Nabisco fortune.

He's not an heir to the Nabisco fortune. He's the son of one of the partners of the LBO firm that bought RJR Nabisco back in the late 1980s. So it's more like he's an heir to the KKR fortune.

I don't want this to turn into a McDermott thread, but that guy's a snake. I bought one thing from him that was misrepresented...now I won't touch anything he touches.

Dan

Hope it wasn't one of those crappy Marvel stamps . . .

Now, for my next magic trick, the same seller will receive 2 or more multiple bids for his X-Men 105 page now on eBay, but I do not see the page going over $7,500. juggle.gif

Ciao!

PRC

Auction ended. $7K no bids. Now soliciting BO.

What happened? Did the market just collapse? Can I get my Byrne/Austin page for $2.5K now?

PRC, please advise!

- A confused-smiley-013.gif

he may have a problem trying to tack on the paypal fee. in addition to the final bid price. ebay doesn't like that...................

Absolutely right.

But don't people get around that by charging outrageous shipping & handling fees?

Once I saw an S&H of a rather expensive piece of $100. I thought the reason for that was to cover the inevitable high fees.

Now that I think about it, it may have been to pay the shipping costs of the framed item. . .

Still high though.

Ciao!

PRC

Auction ended. $7K no bids. Now soliciting BO.

What happened? Did the market just collapse? Can I get my Byrne/Austin page for $2.5K now?

PRC, please advise!

- A confused-smiley-013.gif

Artemaria,

Well, what can I type? I missed this auction badly. I thought that enough Phoenix fans existed out there to push this page to $7500 on its initial auction appearance. The Cockrum market has not collapsed. As you saw, the page sold for $5,750 under the BO plan. My thought process on this page for a high price was the scarcity of the X-Men 105 pages, particularly the pages where Phoenix is battling Firelord. To me, this was Phoenix's coming out party with Chris Claremont. With this page in particular, Chris Claremont started building on the power of the Phoenix that would lead into one of the best story arcs ever created. Moreover, one person that I know has over half of the art pages in his collection. Of the pages from 95-105 and 107, 105 is one of the more difficult issues to find pages. I do not mention 94 because we know that Brad Johnson is trying to put that issue together, and he owns over half the pages from that issue already.

Another example of the early Cockrum X-Men original art market not collapsing is Dan Forman's acquisition of the 102 interior page from Gary Hart off eBay. While I do not know what Dan paid for the page, it is obvious that he offered more than the $3k initial bid in order for Gary Hart to close the auction early. Kudos to Dan for this pick-up. I wish that I had an opportunity to bid on this page. It is a sweet example.

For Brad Johnson's page that did not sell at $8K recently, it is my opinion that he is trying to raise funds to purchase the 94 page off CL. I must preface this comment by writing that I have not spoken with him on this issue. I could be wrong, but it leads some credence that he would sell a page from Chapters 1 and 2 from GS X-Men to raise cash. He was trying to put those two chapters together at one point. Regardless, since he put it out there in the public domain that it was available, he may have received an offer after the auction closed.

As for your comment on Byrne/Austin X-Men pages at $2.5K, I will assume that you wrote this with dripping sarcasm in mind. I can only assume that a non-action/non-costume page would sell these days for that price.

Ciao!

PRC

flamed.gif

PRC -

Thanks for the update. As usual, your posts provide a wealth of useful and interesting information. Your insights into the market never cease to amaze me. 893applaud-thumb.gif

It is the furthest thing from the truth that the Cockrum market is "dead," I don't even think it is "injured." I just think that once you get over $5K you exclude a great many people from bidding. Thus, you have to see if the people who will pay $5K plus for a page will want the page that you are offering when you are offering it.

The Cockrum market is interesting, because it has two components, first run and second run. I would imagine that the first run Cockrum pages will continue to achieve the same prices as decent Byrne pages, but maybe $7K was too aggressive. Besides the seller got over $5K for the page, which itself is nothing to sneeze at. When you get to the second run, someone else on these boards noted that the second run is reaching new highs with prices reaching over $2K, when they were trying to give the pages away for $150 not too long ago. Because they are cheaper, and more people can afford them, I think that the sheer number of interested persons at that price level is greater and prices have risen. So, on the whole, I think that Cockrum X-men pages are doing just fine, but just balancing out a little bit, that's all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As for the Byrne/Austin page comment, I was not being sarcastic, I am just being hopeful. That $2.5K is psychologially about the upper limits of what I would pay for a panel page by those two. And I am just hoping that someday, I will get my hands on one. Unfortunately, nothing suitable has come up yet, and it doesn't look like something is coming either . . . foreheadslap.gif

Best regards PRC!

- A

I also know the seller on the periphery as he must be very happy that his $50 investment in 1977 yielded a 50,000% return over 30 years (if I did my math correctly).

I know the seller as well. A real good guy. He and I used to be in Japan at the same time for business (about 50 trips or so total) and we would stay at the same hotel, and we got to know each other pretty well hanging around in the bar, shooting the breeze. This was back a few years ago before I started collecting OA, so the topic never came up. Anyhow, we got around to talking about the OA last year. He had gotten several pieces of X-MEN OA in the late '70's at SD Comic-Con just because his sons liked X-MEN at the time. Back then, pages started at $25 and covers $100. He got them just on a lark and put them away in a closet. Didn't even think about them until he dug them up all these many years later. And, yes, a great return!

Artemaria,

I will bold my responses after each of your paragraphs....

PRC -

Thanks for the update. As usual, your posts provide a wealth of useful and interesting information. Your insights into the market never cease to amaze me. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thank you much!

acclaim.gif

It is the furthest thing from the truth that the Cockrum market is "dead," I don't even think it is "injured." I just think that once you get over $5K you exclude a great many people from bidding. Thus, you have to see if the people who will pay $5K plus for a page will want the page that you are offering when you are offering it.

Actually, I think that the breaking point right now is $3,500 for the early Cockrum X-Men pages. However, you are correct that the market becomes much thinner at these higher levels. Any Cockrum collectors out there want to comment?

The Cockrum market is interesting, because it has two components, first run and second run. I would imagine that the first run Cockrum pages will continue to achieve the same prices as decent Byrne pages, but maybe $7K was too aggressive. Besides the seller got over $5K for the page, which itself is nothing to sneeze at. When you get to the second run, someone else on these boards noted that the second run is reaching new highs with prices reaching over $2K, when they were trying to give the pages away for $150 not too long ago. Because they are cheaper, and more people can afford them, I think that the sheer number of interested persons at that price level is greater and prices have risen. So, on the whole, I think that Cockrum X-men pages are doing just fine, but just balancing out a little bit, that's all. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agreed on their being two components. However, I am not as knowledgeable on the second run. I did read the earlier post that you mentioned. If pages are consistently hitting the $2K range, then I am very surprised. I continue to see these pages run in the $800 to $1,200 for the more basic pages. I think that the full-on action pages with Wolverine highlighted may command the $2,000 price tag.

As for the Byrne/Austin page comment, I was not being sarcastic, I am just being hopeful. That $2.5K is psychologially about the upper limits of what I would pay for a panel page by those two. And I am just hoping that someday, I will get my hands on one. Unfortunately, nothing suitable has come up yet, and it doesn't look like something is coming either . . . foreheadslap.gif

Understood. Sometimes it is hard to infer the meaning behind what one writes without pre-emptive words. Keep plugging away at those requests to purchase Byrne X-Men pages. I have seen more original art pages from many different artists pop up for sale this summer than in the past. It goes back to what Dan Forman wrote in an earlier message with his rotation cycle. I think that the newer material that has not been on the market before has caused people to unload pages that they normally would not unload in order to finance new acquisitions.

wink.gif

Best regards PRC!

- A

Likewise!

PRC

I also know the seller on the periphery as he must be very happy that his $50 investment in 1977 yielded a 50,000% return over 30 years (if I did my math correctly).

I know the seller as well. A real good guy. He and I used to be in Japan at the same time for business (about 50 trips or so total) and we would stay at the same hotel, and we got to know each other pretty well hanging around in the bar, shooting the breeze. This was back a few years ago before I started collecting OA, so the topic never came up. Anyhow, we got around to talking about the OA last year. He had gotten several pieces of X-MEN OA in the late '70's at SD Comic-Con just because his sons liked X-MEN at the time. Back then, pages started at $25 and covers $100. He got them just on a lark and put them away in a closet. Didn't even think about them until he dug them up all these many years later. And, yes, a great return!

Nexus,

I will contact you privately. Thanks much for your post.

Ciao!

PRC