• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN / GIANT SIZE # 1 PAGE

90 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, this is now the going rate for the GS 1 X-Men interior pages. It will probably receive one bid before closing to someone that really wants a GS original...

893whatthe.gif

Ciao!

PRC

Can't remember if this is the issue that a collector is trying to put back together? Either this or Xmen 94. Problem is folks find out and start jacking the prices on the remaining circulating pages. Sigh!

I'm an old school fan of the X-Men. Still, I'm underwhelmed by this page.

On an artistic scale, would anyone here consider this particular page worth this kind of money? Would even a rabid X-Men fan of this particular era consider it worth this MUCH cash?

I don't see it.

Dunno about the Burger King hours, but I'm goin' after that sucker.

Only to get slapped around like a narc at a biker rally by the price tag.

Oh well!

Dan grin.gif

At $6/hr that translates into 104 weeks (assuming a 40 hour work week) so two years. Also assumes taxes are not being withheld (unlikely) and you are saving money on food by eating the scraps that fall off the grill.

At $6/hr that translates into 104 weeks (assuming a 40 hour work week) so two years. Also assumes taxes are not being withheld (unlikely) and you are saving money on food by eating the scraps that fall off the grill.

We have a mandated $10 an hour minimum here in Santa Fe, so I can cut that time almost in half.... not eating much these days anyway.... tongue.gif

On an artistic scale, would anyone here consider this particular page worth this kind of money? Would even a rabid X-Men fan of this particular era consider it worth this MUCH cash?

I don't see it.

On an artistic basis, surely not. But, comic art is valued only partly on artistic merit - a lot of the value is derived from nostalgic appeal and the content being portrayed. Character first appearances, deaths, pages depicting significant events, popular characters and/or from memorable storylines, etc. invariably command higher prices. This is also a huge reason why I believe comic OA will always remain a niche hobby - how is an outsider supposed to "get" that a page from X-Men #94 is "worth" more than a page from X-Men #98, or a page from X-Men #141 is worth more than a page from X-Men #140, for example, for reasons that have nothing to do with artistic merit?

Comic OA is not just art, it's art and story - if you aren't familiar with the source material (or even speak the language, in the case of many potential foreign buyers), chances are you're not going to be so attracted to the art alone - unfortunately, Krazy Kat doesn't get that when he predicts that the waves of hedge fund managers, Russian oligarchs, Chinese millionaires, etc. snapping up all the fine art at Christie's and Sotheby's will come charging into the comic OA market.

Is this page "worth" $25K? Well, it may be to someone and the seller is trying to fish that person out. If someone buys it for $25K, though, I'd be surprised if there was a long line of people willing to take it off his hands for that amount... juggle.gif

Unless you owned the other 46 pages......

It's xmen 94 that is being put back together.... grin.gif

I thought someone *was* (maybe no longer) trying to put the GS1 together since I heard about a pretty insane deal that happened because someone wanted a GS1 production page (which may have been the closest thing to the original) in order to trade to the person trying to put the issue together.

Joseph

I don't see it.

On an artistic basis, surely not. But, comic art is valued only partly on artistic merit - a lot of the value is derived from nostalgic appeal and the content being portrayed. Character first appearances, deaths, pages depicting significant events, popular characters and/or from memorable storylines, etc. invariably command higher prices. This is also a huge reason why I believe comic OA will always remain a niche hobby - how is an outsider supposed to "get" that a page from X-Men #94 is "worth" more than a page from X-Men #98, or a page from X-Men #141 is worth more than a page from X-Men #140, for example, for reasons that have nothing to do with artistic merit?

Comic OA is not just art, it's art and story - if you aren't familiar with the source material (or even speak the language, in the case of many potential foreign buyers), chances are you're not going to be so attracted to the art alone - unfortunately, Krazy Kat doesn't get that when he predicts that the waves of hedge fund managers, Russian oligarchs, Chinese millionaires, etc. snapping up all the fine art at Christie's and Sotheby's will come charging into the comic OA market.

Is this page "worth" $25K? Well, it may be to someone and the seller is trying to fish that person out. If someone buys it for $25K, though, I'd be surprised if there was a long line of people willing to take it off his hands for that amount... juggle.gif

Yeah, the cover art to ASM #43 wouldnt make sense to anyone unless they happened to have read issue #41. Why would anyone would want that particular piece of art without fully understanding & appreciating the story line of Spider-man's revenge against the rhino coming full circle & the nuanced story arc that ensues? The ASM #43 cover art makes no sense without having read issue #41! How would one know who the hell is this 'rhino', otherwise? Heck, who is this Spider-man? I didnt read issue #1-#42 so never heard of him. I fully agree that OA will remain a niche hobby because no one knows who Captain America, Thor, Hulk or Superman is because most people dont read comics & the significance of Cyclops' love for Jean Grey doesnt mean very much to most people.

I don't see it.

Yeah, the cover art to ASM #43 wouldnt make sense to anyone unless they happened to have read issue #41. Why would anyone would want that particular piece of art without fully understanding & appreciating the story line of Spider-man's revenge against the rhino coming full circle & the nuanced story arc that ensues? The ASM #43 cover art makes no sense without having read issue #41! How would one know who the hell is this 'rhino', otherwise? Heck, who is this Spider-man? I didnt read issue #1-#42 so never heard of him. I fully agree that OA will remain a niche hobby because no one knows who Captain America, Thor, Hulk or Superman is because most people dont read comics & the significance of Cyclops' love for Jean Grey doesnt mean very much to most people.

I think you're missing Gene's point, which is that the value of much OA is tied to the significance of the underlying comic book, rather than pure artistic merit.

For example, as you would no doubt agree, the OA for the cover of X-Men #1 (if it really exists) would be worth much more than the OA for the cover of, say, X-Men #58. From a comic fan's point of view, its importance (and valuation relative to any other X-Men cover) is indisputable: OA for the cover of the first appearance of the most popular superhero team in comics. However, if you were a "pure" art fan appraising OA for pure artistic merit only and knew nothing about the underlying comics, you might very well say that #58 is the better piece of art and should command a much higher price. And then someone would explain the real deal to you, and you'd shake your head and walk away because you would never pay up to market price for the X-Men #1 cover because it's an average piece of art at best and holds no significance for you whatsoever because you could give a *spoon* that it's the first appearance of some stupid superhero team.

I don't see it.

I think you're missing Gene's point, which is that the value of much OA is tied to the significance of the underlying comic book, rather than pure artistic merit.

For example, as you would no doubt agree, the OA for the cover of X-Men #1 (if it really exists) would be worth much more than the OA for the cover of, say, X-Men #58. From a comic fan's point of view, its importance (and valuation relative to any other X-Men cover) is indisputable: OA for the cover of the first appearance of the most popular superhero team in comics. However, if you were a "pure" art fan appraising OA for pure artistic merit only and knew nothing about the underlying comics, you might very well say that #58 is the better piece of art and should command a much higher price. And then someone would explain the real deal to you, and you'd shake your head and walk away because you would never pay up to market price for the X-Men #1 cover because it's an average piece of art at best and holds no significance for you whatsoever because you could give a *spoon* that it's the first appearance of some stupid superhero team.

I agree with you. I was thinking just the other day that Da Vinci should not have placed Jesus at the center of the last supper but just a guy named 'Joe' surrounded by some friends. The significance of that painting is to tied to much to religiousity & surely Da Vinci could have gotten across his most famous master piece using less "distracting" figures.