• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN / GIANT SIZE # 1 PAGE

90 posts in this topic

Hi PRC and everyone --

Interesting insights into this market and the wider buying/selling market from 1977 to today. As someone who is very interested in getting a Cockrum X-Men page like Dan's (#102 was one issue I read and re-read a thousand times as a kid), I am banking on $3-4k for a nice one. Can't afford it today, but I hope soon!

It's fascinating and heartbreaking to see how much the values of another of my favorites, George Perez, have skyrocketed since the '80's. I love his FF and Avengers work from the 1970's and often when I buy pages for $1400+ I'll see little pencil prices on the back "$60.00" or "$50.00". Good grief, am I late to the game!

But Cockrum or Byrne X-Men prices don't surprise me in the least given the importance of that entire run to the Marvel universe; the nostalgia factor must be huge from GS X-Men #1 all the way through to the 140's and beyond. It reminds me just how many superbly drawn and written stories were around in the 1970's at Marvel, when you had Romita, the Buscemas, Starlin, Miller, Perez, Cockrum, Byrne, BWS, etc., all doing innovative stuff or at least strong storylines. In my mind, a truly special age of art from an OA perspective. Wish I could afford more of it.

Dan

Dan,

Pulling your quote into a reply:

"It's fascinating and heartbreaking to see how much the values of another of my favorites, George Perez, have skyrocketed since the '80's. I love his FF and Avengers work from the 1970's and often when I buy pages for $1400+ I'll see little pencil prices on the back "$60.00" or "$50.00". Good grief, am I late to the game!"

Perez Avengers pages from the 150s and 160s are what recently have sky-rocketed. eBay user Montezillo has won the last several auctions at prices > $4K. Will this price appreciation last? Who knows. However, if he continues to pay the prices, then we will see Perez Avengers pricing hitting close to, or even exceeding, the same level of early Cockrum X-Men and mid-level Byrne X-Men. It appears that the Perez Avengers work is now 2X the value of his FF work.

"But Cockrum or Byrne X-Men prices don't surprise me in the least given the importance of that entire run to the Marvel universe; the nostalgia factor must be huge from GS X-Men #1 all the way through to the 140's and beyond. It reminds me just how many superbly drawn and written stories were around in the 1970's at Marvel, when you had Romita, the Buscemas, Starlin, Miller, Perez, Cockrum, Byrne, BWS, etc., all doing innovative stuff or at least strong storylines. In my mind, a truly special age of art from an OA perspective. Wish I could afford more of it."

While you mention the artists, do not forget the writers. Much of this work would not have been as established if you did not have the Roy Thomases, the Chris Claremonts, the Steve Engleharts, and the Jim Shooters (just to name a few in the Marvel realm) creating the storylines that the pencillers and inkers were able to map their stories to successfully. Many of the storylines were plausible and were able to carry the readers from page to page and issue to issue. For me the, the 1970s and early 1980s were my 'Golden Age' since that was the period I grew up reading the comic books. That is not to denigrate the other periods in comic books, for the true Golden Age is what made everything afterwards possible.

cloud9.gif

Ciao!

PRC

While you mention the artists, do not forget the writers. Much of this work would not have been as established if you did not have the Roy Thomases, the Chris Claremonts, the Steve Engleharts, and the Jim Shooters (just to name a few in the Marvel realm) creating the storylines that the pencillers and inkers were able to map their stories to successfully. Many of the storylines were plausible and were able to carry the readers from page to page and issue to issue. For me the, the 1970s and early 1980s were my 'Golden Age' since that was the period I grew up reading the comic books. That is not to denigrate the other periods in comic books, for the true Golden Age is what made everything afterwards possible.

cloud9.gif

Ciao!

PRC

The writing may have more of an impact on the price than you may think. Two pages from the immortal Swamp Thing No. 20, by Dan Day (who was a good, but not great artist, and not as good as Gene Day) went for over $2K.

I think that the true significance of that auction was that it was the first auction I've seen in which a writer's contribution (Alan Moore's first Swamp Thing issue) drove the price.

- A

Yes, I agree with all of that. If the writing and stories didn't compel us, the art pages would not have reached such heights. I really enjoy reading comics and arcs from that era, and pay more for pages from the great stories than from the mediocre ones.

And thank god Perez FF pages haven't caught fire like the Avengers pages have. I'm a huge fan of his issues on FF.

Dan

I think that the true significance of that auction was that it was the first auction I've seen in which a writer's contribution (Alan Moore's first Swamp Thing issue) drove the price.

Really? How about Sandman pages, prices for which are certainly driven by Gaiman's writing. There were a lot of mediocre artists in that run.

Good point. However, other than the Dave McKean covers, I've not come across any Sandman pages for sale. Doesn't mean there haven't been any, I've just not seen them for whatever reason.

Also, with regards to the art on that book, you are too kind. I don't know why, but there were some of the worst artists I've ever seen get their art published on that Gaiman run.

On the flip side, there were some nice bits - Kelly Jones I thought was a really nice fit with Gaiman on that book, and the P.Craig Russell issue 50 was a treat.

Most of the Vertigo books suffered from bad art.... from Hellblazer to Sandman.

Michael Zulli and Charles Vess also did some great work on Sandman. Jill Thompson, ummmm.... not so much.

cloud9.gif

Ciao!

PRC

The writing may have more of an impact on the price than you may think. Two pages from the immortal Swamp Thing No. 20, by Dan Day (who was a good, but not great artist, and not as good as Gene Day) went for over $2K.

- A

I'm the guy who pushed it over 2K. It was sitting at around 1100 until the end, so I figured I'd win at a little over 2K. I would have been higher, but didn't think it necessary. I agree that the significance/price here is driven 100% by the writer, and the historic significance of that particular issue. In hindsight, and it's only a week ago or so, I should have bid 3K. I think it's worth every penny.

Good point. However, other than the Dave McKean covers, I've not come across any Sandman pages for sale. Doesn't mean there haven't been any, I've just not seen them for whatever reason.

Also, with regards to the art on that book, you are too kind. I don't know why, but there were some of the worst artists I've ever seen get their art published on that Gaiman run.

On the flip side, there were some nice bits - Kelly Jones I thought was a really nice fit with Gaiman on that book, and the P.Craig Russell issue 50 was a treat.

Artemaria,

This is one reason why I love this board. Where else can you go from Claremont/Cockrum/Inker du jour on early X-Men to Gaiman/Penciller du jour on Sandman?

stooges.gif

OK, I am no expert on the Sandman original art market, but, as an owner of an early Sandman Gaiman/Kieth page, I can write that an avid market does exist out there for the Sandman original art. When I purchased my page four years ago on a lark in San Diego, I had no idea what the market was. I just wanted an example. I thought that I overpaid for the page then. When I posted my Kieth page on my CAF gallery, Holee Schmolee! I received three inquiries within three weeks if I would consider selling it. Here are my neophyte thoughts on Kieth Sandman: In demand, Sought after, Pay around $1,500 for a panel page as a minimum (much more for splashes). As for other artists, look on CAF at the different pages displayed and ask their owners what a typical page might sell for.

As for me, continue to Make Mine Marvel. My knowledge on DC stuff is less, but I will normally go after a good Adams page anyday, regardless of company. I hope that helps.

bumpit.gif

Ciao!

PRC