• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the cheapest you have seen a Detective #27 sell for recently?

32 posts in this topic

Just a question, in the thread title, whats the cheapest you have seen a Detective Comics #27 sell for recently.

Not reprints, or anything, I am talking an original Detective #27?

I don't care if it was ripped in half, half burnt, or ran over with a semi, just think it would be interesting to know.

hello all...

the last 7 sales I know of (all in the last 6 months or so):

extensive restored fn/vf...$45000 (private sale)

extensive restored vf+...$47000 (clink)

moderate restored fn/vf...$50,800 (heritage)

extensive restored/trimmed vg...$36000 (heritage)

extensive restored fn/vf in the $50,000 range (mastronet)

slight restored fn/vf in the $65000 range (metro sale)

unrestored 6.0 in the $150,000+ range (metro sale)

those are the ones I have seen...

gator

my goal one day is to buy a coverless .5 copy, since that would be about the best i could ever afford, or maybe a 1.0 heavily restored (amat), altho that would probably still cost too much.

my goal one day is to buy a coverless .5 copy, since that would be about the best i could ever afford, or maybe a 1.0 heavily restored (amat), altho that would probably still cost too much.

The cheapest complete copy I can remember at any time recently was a 1.0 that sold 3 years ago for $23000. Seems like a fine bargain now!!

The cheapest complete copy I can remember at any time recently was a 1.0 that sold 3 years ago for $23000. Seems like a fine bargain now!!

structurally, that was a great book...it later resold for almost $40K , I believe...

gator

hello all...

those are the ones I have seen... (been part of 2 of them)

gator

Coinee question, Does anyone have a pic of the cover?? Those prices are amaizing...How many copies are Known?

hello all...

those are the ones I have seen... (been part of 2 of them)

gator

Coinee question, Does anyone have a pic of the cover?? Those prices are amaizing...How many copies are Known?

32 copies have been graded. Last I heard, it was estimated that there are 50 to 100 copies that still exist.

Could you guys put the numbers in context for a Spidey freak/Marvel zombie.

With Spidey being over 45 years old now (I can remember when Supes was just 45!), it's no longer about how long these characters have been around, but rather, how many books remain.

I understand that pound for pound, Bats is just as popular/more/less depending on whom and when you ask as Petey. So my question is,

The number of 27's (50-100) compared to the number of AF 15's, and do you think the prices are right on both books considering the number of copies.

hello all...

those are the ones I have seen...

gator

look at my avatar smile.gif

gator

Could you guys put the numbers in context for a Spidey freak/Marvel zombie.

With Spidey being over 45 years old now (I can remember when Supes was just 45!), it's no longer about how long these characters have been around, but rather, how many books remain.

I understand that pound for pound, Bats is just as popular/more/less depending on whom and when you ask as Petey. So my question is,

The number of 27's (50-100) compared to the number of AF 15's, and do you think the prices are right on both books considering the number of copies.

I would speculate that there are thousands of copies of AF 15 available...I have been to cons where I counted 50+ copies, versus 1 copy of Tec 27....AF 15 are "affordable", for the most part (you can get gd/vg copies for under $3K)...a gd/vg copy of Tec 27 will push $50K (likely $60K)....so, you are really comparing apples to oranges, but both are great books!

gator

I would speculate that there are thousands of copies of AF 15 available...I have been to cons where I counted 50+ copies, versus 1 copy of Tec 27....AF 15 are "affordable", for the most part (you can get gd/vg copies for under $3K)...a gd/vg copy of Tec 27 will push $50K (likely $60K)....so, you are really comparing apples to oranges, but both are great books!

gator

Low thousands, or high?

I need more answers. I wonder what the original print run was. Last issue of a failed Sci-Fi title. I would guess no more than 100-200K. Probably a lot less. Subtract 45 years, and maybe have a tenth of that?

10-20K ?

gd Det 27 (less than 75 issues) for 60K.

gd AF 15 (15K issues?) for 3 K.

Not a bad return on the AF.

To date, 896 copies of AF 15 have been graded. And my guess is there are a lot more ungraded copies of this one than graded copies. My completely unofficial guess is there are probably around 5,000 copies of AF 15 available out there. I could be way off though. Someone else would probably know better than me.

the demand is higher for AF15, due to the lower prices, which in turn explains its strong price throughout the grades.

more people might want tec'27s but less people are actively in the market for one.

structurally, that was a great book...it later resold for almost $40K (add $7500 for a back cover, and a professional merger, and voila!)

gator

I purchased this book about 4 years ago from an antique dealer who had several early coverless Actions and Detective comics. All were coverless and some had back covers. There wasn't an Action # 1 but I'm sure he had at the time early issues. I wanted to buy all what he had including other early Detectives but most were already sold or promised to other buyers. He also told me that a few of these books were missing some pages....The Detective # 27 hadn't sold when I saw it...I counted the pages and was complete. The book has large splits with some pieces missing on the spine on the first two pages and shows some browning at the edges but the rest of the interior has no pieces missing and pages are more supple. The centerfold is o.k and supple. The back cover was there but I couldn't verify at the time if it was the correct back cover....He wanted $3000.00 at the time and I offered him $2500.00 cash on the spot!! And this was Canadian currency...I went to the bank got the cash and he accepted the cash for the book. At the time I really felt it was a fair price because I didn't know what a Tec coverless was selling for....At home I verified [ through scans of other # 27 books ] that the back cover was the original for this copy....I had a fortress and displays well in it....I can only imagine what the back cover by itself would be valued at...And can only imagine what this book with the back cover could be valued at......There is no way I could afford a complete copy so this is my keeper cloud9.gif

File0054.jpg

File0053.jpg

structurally, that was a great book...it later resold for almost $40K (add $7500 for a back cover, and a professional merger, and voila!)

gator

I purchased this book about 4 years ago from an antique dealer who had several early coverless Actions and Detective comics. All were coverless and some had back covers. There wasn't an Action # 1 but I'm sure he had at the time early issues. I wanted to buy all what he had including other early Detectives but most were already sold or promised to other buyers. He also told me that a few of these books were missing some pages....The Detective # 27 hadn't sold when I saw it...I counted the pages and was complete. The book has large splits with some pieces missing on the spine on the first two pages and shows some browning at the edges but the rest of the interior has no pieces missing and pages are more supple. The centerfold is o.k and supple. The back cover was there but I couldn't verify at the time if it was the correct back cover....He wanted $3000.00 at the time and I offered him $2500.00 cash on the spot!! And this was Canadian currency...I went to the bank got the cash and he accepted the cash for the book. At the time I really felt it was a fair price because I didn't know what a Tec coverless was selling for....At home I verified [ through scans of other # 27 books ] that the back cover was the original for this copy....I had a fortress and displays well in it....I can only imagine what the back cover by itself would be valued at...And can only imagine what this book with the back cover could be valued at......There is no way I could afford a complete copy so this is my keeper cloud9.gif

File0054.jpg

File0053.jpg

Very cool Bat-Hound!!