• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverton

56 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a Wolverton reprint collection? TPB, individual issues, anthology, anything?

I love his work but I try to avoid buying golden age books just for interior art or stories. I know that seems assbackwards, but if I buy a vintage book it has to have a classic cover. The interior art and stories I am more than happy to read reprinted unless that isn't an option.

Does anyone know of a Wolverton reprint collection? TPB, individual issues, anthology, anything?

I love his work but I try to avoid buying golden age books just for interior art or stories. I know that seems assbackwards, but if I buy a vintage book it has to have a classic cover. The interior art and stories I am more than happy to read reprinted unless that isn't an option.

Weird Mysteries 4 and 5 and WTOF 2-5 all have Wolverton stories with respectable covers. There are more in Atlas. For GA there's Target 7 and AMF 23 with respectable covers.

There are quite a few reprints of his material from specialty comics to various TPBs. I'll try to get a list. Might even have a spare copy hanging around.

I think Greg T. had a reprint book with Wolverton work (if he reads this, he might tell you) but there is a new one solicited in the most recent preview -

BASIL wolverton AGONY AND ECSTASY TP

by Basil Wolverton The Crazy Coot of Comics turns a little more serious in his collection of drawings done to illustrate The Bible. Over 200 illustrations in this volume show that he could do it all. Rare, and rarely seen, Agony and Ecstasy offers up super rare drawings by the master of mayhem!

Previews Code: JUN073804

There are four main categories of Basil's comic stories:

GA Sci Fi: Space Hawk and Space Patrol -- these are fairly similar to each other but usually have cool monsters, planets, and vegetation.

Powerhouse Pepper: tale of a dumb strong guy with a few puns tossed in. All good stuff.

50s Horror: Some great stuff here like They Crawled by Night, Swamp Monster, or Eyeballs of Doom.

Misc Humor: These are 1 page to 4 page filler type material with lots of puns.

There's reprints of representative samples of each of the above.

I think Greg T. had a reprint book with Wolverton work (if he reads this, he might tell you) but there is a new one solicited in the most recent preview -

BASIL wolverton AGONY AND ECSTASY TP

by Basil Wolverton The Crazy Coot of Comics turns a little more serious in his collection of drawings done to illustrate The Bible. Over 200 illustrations in this volume show that he could do it all. Rare, and rarely seen, Agony and Ecstasy offers up super rare drawings by the master of mayhem!

Previews Code: JUN073804

I'll be in interested in the A&E TPB.

His biblical drawings are amazing but there are illustration art rather than comic stories. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Much of Wolverton's SPACEHAWK work was reprinted in beautiful black and white by Dark Horse (at least 4 issues). They also did a few nice one shots, "Planet of Terror"and , I think, "Gateway to Horror" (I don't have this last one). Also, they did a 2 issue comic called "B.W.'s Fantastic Fables" (highly recommended). It has a lot of old, rare stuff.

Pure Imagination did a one shot "Basil Wolverton INTENSE" (mostly humor), and they also did a book collection of the Spacehawk stuff.

I have a one shot called "B.W.'s Space Funnies", which actually is color photo's of the actual pages... really nice. Its all Spacehawk, the first four stories.

I buy the reprints when ever I can ... mainly his serious stuff. The humor stuff isn't my fav, tho' its still great.

I splurge on his early GA space stuff (Centaurs, Target's)... I just love it. I posted this page below before, from AMF #24 ... its a real classic.

Good luck Andy!!

1826021-AMF24_WOLVloresPOST.jpg

1826021-AMF24_WOLVloresPOST.jpg.e522087417bde0cf0e1081de9e059200.jpg

Edited by RyanH

Thanks guys. I just read Robot Woman and figured I would ask if there were any reprints in the same style I could check out.

I am looking for the horror amd sci-fi themed stories, the weirder the better, along the lines of what ryan posted.

Weird Mysteries 4 and 5 and WTOF 2-5

Would love to read these, especially the one where the guy gets his brain put into that flying bat thing. WTOF 4 maybe? It's the cover story.

along the lines of what ryan posted.

Great stuff. If only there were someone near you, a Centaur collector, that would let you actually read the original comics. He'd have to be a completist because some of the comics containing his work have pretty high Windex ratings. No way anything like that would happen so I guess you're stuck looking for reprints.

In addition to what's already been listed - the Mr. Monster Super-Duper Specials 2,7 &8 all reprint Wolverton - but I can't recall if it stuff reprinted elsewhere.

Don't just stick with the horror/sci-fi stuff, you won't regret buying every Wolverton reprint book you can get your hands on.

Great stuff. If only there were someone near you, a Centaur collector, that would let you actually read the original comics. He'd have to be a completist because some of the comics containing his work have pretty high Windex ratings. No way anything like that would happen so I guess you're stuck looking for reprints.

27_laughing.gif Good call. I just need a list of which issues his art is in.

27_laughing.gif Good call. I just need a list of which issues his art is in.

Amazing Mystery Funnies 2/12 through 24.

Thanks guys. I just read Robot Woman and figured I would ask if there were any reprints in the same style I could check out.

I am looking for the horror amd sci-fi themed stories, the weirder the better, along the lines of what ryan posted.

1826199-gatewayhorror1off.jpg893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1826199-gatewayhorror1off.jpg.b84847279f2c5763f4fc3d3be160fc10.jpg

Weird Mysteries 4 and 5 and WTOF 2-5

Would love to read these, especially the one where the guy gets his brain put into that flying bat thing. WTOF 4 maybe? It's the cover story.

"The Brain Bats Of Venus" is in this issue, classic Wolverton. gossip.gif

1826218-mm%237.jpg

589a92b62b724_1826218-mm7.jpg.5dbe22e1587e88872278ed4cf80e0c81.jpg

His biblical drawings are amazing but there are illustration art rather than comic stories.

I had occasion last month to see two complete original published sets of these Wolverton Biblical volumes. Pretty amazing stuff, as adam relates. IIRC, the owner believed that Basil also adapted the text, as well.

Next time our paths cross, I may have to inquire after a set...

STEVE

Listers,

I've done two 160 page trade paperbacks on Wolverton, but both are sold out. The good news is that this weekend we finished the CD ROM edition which includes both books for $20. Ditto my Alex Toth books.

Alex Toth: Edge of Genius is just out, and Will Eisner, Edge of Genius is due in a month.

Regards,

Greg Theakston

Pure Imagination