• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A fun old article from 1989...

13 posts in this topic

Yikes, was this really 18 years ago? I was going through some old stuff this morning and came upon this old article, published the year the first Batman movie hit the screens. That's me in the picture, at my LCS at that time, selling a really nice Batman #14 and Superman #18 to Dave Smith, the shop's owner. I was raising cash to buy some Action Mile Highs from Ernie Gerber. 18 years later, and I still miss those two books!

The picture always cracks me up. Something about the perspective makes my arm look as big as my head.

article.jpg

... Do you still own those Mile High Actions?

Which numbers were they?

I don't have them anymore, but I purchased the 86 & 87 from Ernie. I think I paid $550 each for them. At the time, I already owned the Church 33 & 46.

The Action 86 is miscut, and not very attractive. I'm actually happier now with my 7.0 non-pedigree copy.

Nearmint:

Great article and brought back a lot of memories. I remember shopping at Fantasy Illustrated in the 90's also, I liked Dave. I seem to remember him being into BLB's or some genre like that.

Nearmint:

Great article and brought back a lot of memories. I remember shopping at Fantasy Illustrated in the 90's also, I liked Dave. I seem to remember him being into BLB's or some genre like that.

His focus has been on pulps for a number of years now.

Nearmint:

I bought my first Golden Age book in that shop(a Superman #37). Dave always treated me fairly, and I learned quite a bit about collecting GA from him. If he still had his shop here, I'd be showing up every week like I used to. It was always a thrill walking through that door, as you never knew what Golden Age gem might be in that glass case by that old antique cash register.

I thought he knew a lot, too. Did he relocate somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, I think?
He relocated to Seattle. I'm not sure if his store is still opened but the last time I went there, his pulp stock was far more impressive than anything he had comic wise.

I thought he knew a lot, too. Did he relocate somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, I think?
He relocated to Seattle. I'm not sure if his store is still opened but the last time I went there, his pulp stock was far more impressive than anything he had comic wise.

When Dave moved to the Seattle area(many years ago now) he bought a store called Rocket Comics. He closed it years ago, and now deals mostly in pulps through his catalog, eBay, and conventions. Dave has always been a Houdini nut, so his stock sometimes includes some Houdini Items, Disneyania, and occasionally a few comics.

Very cool. You got a little Jose Canseco in you from that angle, some serious pipes.

No way I'm playing tennis with you now--you've got the arms of Rafael Nadal!

27_laughing.gif I was a better player 18 years ago.