• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've had it with Ebay!!

74 posts in this topic

Biggest red flag is that all but 19 of those 436 feedbacks are as a buyer, not a seller. Well, that and the F/NM grade he cites.

He really does not appear to have sold a comic on ebay before other than ASM 36.

Seriously, try to reason with him. You never know.....

I'm going to try and give it a shot, maybe he will work it out, who knows.

You must be talking about This High Grade Auction

Crappy pictures, vague description and no return policy would have kept me far, far away!

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, I wish I would have stayed away now.

Did you pay with CC through paypal?

If so, and the guy doesn't want to fess up, do a chargeback confused-smiley-013.gif I've never had to do one myself, so I can't tell you what to do, but I am sure there are many on here who could.

Just a thought...

John thumbsup2.gif

I paid through Paypal, but not with a CC, which sucks. Now I only have Paypal to back me, and not a CC company.

Here is the original message he sent me through Ebay, when I sent him the payment.........

"Hello Andrew.

I fell asleep after I answered your questions so I was not able to respond until now. Thanks for your bid. I will send these within 24 hours with insurance. Please contact me when you receive them. I want to know your opinion on grading, I go what the book says, but this info is limited. I am positive you will not be disappointed with the quality for the price you paid. I have some more I just came across and will try to post, Brave & Bold, Flash, Sgt. Fury, Green Lantern, tons of the various DC Mystery types. I value your input.

THANKS again.

Frank"

This e-mail alone confirms he is not sure about the grading, and even asks me for my input after I receive the books. I hope he holds up to his end of the deal, and realizes he made a mistake in grading.

Here is the message I sent him, hopefully polite, and to the point enough....

"Hello Frank,

I received the books today, thank you for the fast shipping.

The books themselves, unfortunately, are overgraded. Out of the whole lot, there is only 1 book that I can safely call a VF book.

Most of them fall into the GVG/VG/VGF range. I did expect to get a few books in the VG/VG+ range, per the auction description, but the majority of them are in this condition.

Most of the books DO have good eye appeal, and are nice books, but they have creasing, or spine wear, etc that keep them out of the F+/VF range.

My question to you is, is there anything we can do to work this out, as 2 adults, so that both parties are happy? Please understand, I am not a picky buyer, and have bought a lot of Comic books on Ebay, these Batmans are just a little too low grade for the price I paid for them.

The pictures in the item description, although not bad pictures, do not show the majority of the flaws on some of the books.

I would be more than willing to try and work something out between the 2 of us, so that we both can walk away happy.

If I could send you the books back, postage paid by me, for a full refund, that would be fine.

Another option would be for me to keep the books, and work out some sort of a partial refund from you.

Please let me know either way.

Thank you for your time, I look foward to your response, and resolving this issue so that we both walk away happy.

Andrew"

1/2 of the ebay sellers can't grade, the other 1/2 can't tell the truth confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, no offense, but I never understand how people can take an ebay sellers word on grading. NM to one person is not NM to another person, and most don't know about "official" grading standards...

Buyer's ID kept private would have been a red flag for me.

Righto. Private auctions are about the biggest red flag possible. I also collect autographs, and private auction in that area almost always means fakes.

Get a refund if at all possible. You dropped 5 bills on a bunch of $5 VGs. frown.gif

Righto. Private auctions are about the biggest red flag possible. I also collect autographs, and private auction in that area almost always means fakes.

Get a refund if at all possible. You dropped 5 bills on a bunch of $5 VGs. frown.gif

Yeah, that lot isn't worth anywhere near $500. frown.gif

Yeah, that lot isn't worth anywhere near $500. frown.gif

Yeah thats what sucks about it, for 500.00 I was expecting a damn nice run.

Your request to him was well worded. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Which ever way this goes you've learned a valuable lesson. When your head

clears from this experience remember: positive things come from negative

experiences. This is a lesson learned I hope.

You might find that you will be exchanging a few e-mails with this seller

(speaking from experience). Try not to be waiting by your computer for an e-mail from him. That's a sure fire way to drive yourself nuts. And be objective when you read his e-mails. You might find yourself being aggravated when you read, and open his e-mails to you. Only neg. when, and if you can't get anywhere with him.

If he says he will refund you, don't wait more than two weeks for returned money.

One thing you can do now, is: when you e-mail someone a question about a auction, do NOT use your name. You never know who is out there.

My best to you. thumbsup2.gif

Your request to him was well worded. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Which ever way this goes you've learned a valuable lesson. When your head

clears from this experience remember: positive things come from negative

experiences. This is a lesson learned I hope.

You might find that you will be exchanging a few e-mails with this seller

(speaking from experience). Try not to be waiting by your computer for an e-mail from him. That's a sure fire way to drive yourself nuts. And be objective when you read his e-mails. You might find yourself being aggravated when you read, and open his e-mails to you. Only neg. when, and if you can't get anywhere with him.

If he says he will refund you, don't wait more than two weeks for returned money.

One thing you can do now, is: when you e-mail someone a question about a auction, do NOT use your name. You never know who is out there.

My best to you. thumbsup2.gif

Thank you for the kind words, hopefully this all works out.

If worse comes to worse, you can file a dispute with Paypal under the category "Item significantly not as described." The guy made some pretty specific claims about grades that simply weren't true, according to your descriptions. I think you'd have a strong case. We're talking a lot of money.

If you can't resolve it through negotiation, you can escalate the dispute to a claim, and Paypal will take money out of his account (if he has it) and investigate the case. (I just went through this, PM me if you have any questions.)

In reading the guy's email, I think you have a decent chance to get a reasonable settlement. It sounds like he knows he is winging it on grading. On the other hand, if I were winging it on grading, I wouldn't write a post like he wrote. I'd say "I'm not sure what I'm doing, so look at the photos and ask questions."

Good luck!