• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny 12 parter!

10 posts in this topic

Great! And I've always hated anything to do with the sh'iar. It read real well in one sitting. I can see how haters of decompression might have not enjoyed reading the arc once a month.

After a good 5 years of X-*spoon*, this last year had seen much much improved books. Claremont is back though, so you can expect New Excalibur and Exiles will soon be cancelled.

Overall, I was disappointed. Largely, because I like all of Brubaker's other work and this was a step below that. Even though the Uncanny title has been bad for quite some time, this wasn't much of an improvement for me (though it is nice to have more than a 4-issue arc and jump to a completely different saga in the next 4).

Pat

I was a huge X-Men fan, but gave up in the mid 90s when I finally came to my senses and realized I was spending my $$$ on *spoon*. I dipped back in when ASTONISHING came out, and I bought the 12 issue arc. You knwo what? I really enjoyed the story arc because it took me back to the classic BYRNE/COCKRUM/CLAREMONT space era. Nostalgia is a very powerful force that cannot be overlooked. Why else are late 20 year olds spending $10/book on 1990s issues. lol

I enjoyed this run. Its not perfect, but its better then anything since Morrisons run by far and I would say even better in some areas. I thought the art was well above average.

The X books are horrible and have been for many years. They need fresh writers and some decent freakin artists that will stay for more then 3 issues. They need to focus a little more on continuity between titles and less on trying to make each book appeal to a certain type of collector. Its not hard if Bendis can make the Avengers a hit they sure as heck can make the X-men popular again. The only reason they still sell well are these fools that wont end their X runs even with the product is mediocre at best.

An example is the X-men title which appeals more to the X Manga style fan as to me I think the art is horrible, but thats just my viewpoint others love Bachalo and Carey.

They need to focus a little more on continuity between titles.

which would be achieved if they'd cut down the number of books too.

that's my biggest gripe.

as you say, they seem to have a title for each type of reader and that's resulted in me not really liking any of them.

I think Bru's run on Uncanny started off too slowly but has picked up as it went along. Bru even admits to that himself in an interview not long ago, said he wasn't used to pacing a team book. I'm looking forward to seeing what direction he takes them in next.

Marvel should have given Whedon the second X Men title and not launched a third series. Would have kept things tighter (plus we wouldn't have to look at Bachalo's art).

The only reason they still sell well are these fools that wont end their X runs even with the product is mediocre at best.

Guilty.

I'll be droping Uncanny and ending my complete run at #500, in a year. Unless there is some kind of killer team on the book, but I don't see that happening. 500 seems llke a good jumpng off number.

The only reason they still sell well are these fools that wont end their X runs even with the product is mediocre at best.

Guilty.

I'll be droping Uncanny and ending my complete run at #500, in a year. Unless there is some kind of killer team on the book, but I don't see that happening. 500 seems llke a good jumpng off number.

I'm also guilty. I've never had the heart to break my Avengers or Uncanny runs and wouldn't want to at the moment. But if any other title gets bad enough, I'll drop them. I recently dropped Ultimate X Men after mulling over it for a few months. It was a bit sad after buying it from # 1.