• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Toronto Comicon Day One

24 posts in this topic

Well, I just got back from the Paradise Toronto Comicon. I've decided for this 'con that I'm only going 2 days (Friday and Sunday) and I'm going to do a minimal amount of line standing. I'm getting older (and slightly grumpy) and am really not in the mind-set of waiting an hour in a line to get a book signed. That said, here's the run-down

Matt Wagner: My wife got her Grendel Warchild #1 signed and she got a pretty cool headsketch. Reportedly Howard Wong (writer, "After the Cape") was fond of the piece as well. (My wife is stalking Howard Wong now apparently.)

J.M.Linser: Well, we're getting a "Dawn" sketch done. It will be the first piece we co-own and I'm excited to see it. My wife also got a chromium card set and he was nice and signed each card. Frankly, I'm jealous.

Harley Yee: I spent a ton of cash at Harley's booth. I'd had some problems trying to order from him over the phone and online. In person it's much easier. I got my Tim Holt 11 (first Ghost Rider) and some pretty decent copies of Boy Comics. Very exciting purchases for me.

CycloneComics: I was looking forward to meeting this boardie and met his brother. lol Not sure where he was but maybe we'll catch up Sunday.

Other noteables:

I finally got my Iron Man #1. I feel like I paid the right price for the quality I wanted, so came away pretty happy with that.

I got Hardovers of both "Powers" and "Shanna the She Devil" that I'm looking forward to reading.

Overall, this seemed to be a great convention to buy comics. My biggest disappointment was the absence of a single dealer who had ME Ghost Rider issues. I was absolutely shocked to find that nobody had even 1 issue from the series. I can see these are going to be my white whales for the forseeable future.

I got Hardovers of both "Powers" and "Shanna the She Devil" that I'm looking forward to reading.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Freudian keystroke slip 27_laughing.gif

D'oh Yes Shanna is t3h hawtness

lol No point in editing the post now!

-Rob-

Oh and I helped my wife out with her Anita Blake collection. Got the following all CGC SS 9.8 (all signed by Brett Booth)

-Anita Blake Preview

-Anita Blake 1 NYCC Exclusive

-Anita Blake 1 Sketch Var

-Anita Blake 1 3rd print

I missed ya Rob, too bad.

I was able to pick up 40 DC war books that I didn't need, and 1 that I did need. Man, it's so tough when your list gets little. Cyclone Comics was there and it was a pleasure dealing with John again. Ted from Superworld is always nice to talk to and deal with. Jamie from Graham Crackers gave me a deal. Lastly, I got a nice G. I. Combat from Blazing Bob. Also met wasonff. Overall, not too bad for a Friday night in a room full of nerds.

Andy

I missed ya Rob, too bad.

I was able to pick up 40 DC war books that I didn't need, and 1 that I did need. Man, it's so tough when your list gets little. Cyclone Comics was there and it was a pleasure dealing with John again. Ted from Superworld is always nice to talk to and deal with. Jamie from Graham Crackers gave me a deal. Lastly, I got a nice G. I. Combat from Blazing Bob. Also met wasonff. Overall, not too bad for a Friday night in a room full of nerds.

Andy

Yeah I missed alot of people today. I even saw a couple people who I never made it over to in time. Hopefully Sunday will have some more social opportunity. For today, I'm glad to have gotten some nice books!

Congrats on your purchases as well.

The best thing about this show was the ability to drive the truck right up to the booth and unload my stuff..... cloud9.gif

1836105-unloading.jpg

in which alternate universe is that thing a truck?

poke2.gif

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any of you going to the show could do me a favor by checking out a couple of high end books from dealers that are at the show I am looking at purchasing. I have seen scans, but would like to know what they look like in person. If you are willing to help a fellow forumite out, please pm me and I will let you know the details.

Thanks!

Ryan

How big were the lineups for sketches? Say at Oemings table?

I don't know I'm hoping to get one done Sunday. I bought the Powers hardcover and I'd like to get it signed/sketched.

Matt Wagner's line wasn't too long, I noticed that. But we got there right at opening so it's hard to say.

Van..... sorry.gif

you get any shots of your sweet custom setup?

I'll get some tomorrow. Kinda half-azz set-up today. There's a pic of what it looks like when I close down at the end of the day in the 'comic frame' thread though. wink.gif

The best thing about this show was the ability to drive the truck right up to the booth and unload my stuff..... cloud9.gif

1836105-unloading.jpg

Dude, I think there are better things at the con than your truck...and that blonde across from your table would be one of them. Just in case you didn't notice...

R.